What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thought I should chime in now that I've gone back to 3.0.0.4.388_21709. Still using auto channel and auto bandwidth for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Only using WPA2-Personal and not using DFS channels (some of my older clients do not like these values). Since I'm not using WPA2/WPA3-personal I have no real reason for a guest WIFI so I dropped that. WPA is turned off.
Since there have been some questions about QOS I should report that it seems to be working for me. I have a 100/100 FIOS connection. A couple of days ago I needed to reinstall OSX on my Mac Mini. The I did this mid afternoon when my wife and daughter were on line and got no complaints about slow internet while the Mac was hitting almost max bandwidth downloading OSX. The three of us usually stream video in the evening with no problems.
Still getting a lot of log spam. Not using Wireguard but did set up OpenVPN server and InstantGuard (will test thes out tomorrow from remote location). Am using DNSSEC and DoT to Quad9 with no apparent issues.

Anyone experience issues with the 5GHZ band dropping? Hoping this release will fix that for me.
I constantly have issues with 5GHZ dropping on the RT-AX86U depending on the firmware. The last firmware was horrible. The one before that worked pretty good. Only been running this for less then 2 days but so far haven't had a 5Ghz drop.

Last edited:
My AX86U goes back on the shelf. Will check again when Asus reaches 388.4xxxx number firmware. This is where most things start working properly. :)

Just installed 3.0.0.4.388_21709 and was not able to add new Wireguard clients. Existing clients seemed fine but new clients couldn't connect. Reset RT-AX86U to factory and that seemed to fix the issue.

Installed the new firmware about 2 hours ago, since then 5Ghz has dropped 3 times. Not a good start for me

Seems like working on this firmware with both IPv4 and IPv4/IPv6 configurations. At least the up/down speed is correct according to Manual settings and the latency below line saturation is lower. I don't know how well it recognizes and categorizes the traffic, but it does something.

Installed the new firmware about 2 hours ago, since then 5Ghz has dropped 3 times. Not a good start for me

May be proplem wirh DFS channels.

May be proplem wirh DFS channels.
I’m not going to rule it out, but didn’t have this issue with previous router. I understand however that each router is different and one may be more sensitive than another

I don't know what version Merlin's beta 3 is based on, but disconnects on wifi is now gone, compared to stock which was not a beta, but should be!

For those having issues, you might want to disable to fancy features like DFS channels and just get back to basics. Slowly add in a feature and test for a few days...

A new firmware must be coming soon.

If your having backhaul problem dropping wifi randomly, try disabling 160Mhz and only use 80Mhz. this works on my end.

Initially I had numerous 5GHZ drops, I don't want to jinx myself but over the last couple of days things seem to be relatively solid. I am noticing a lag or delay with devices like my TV and Xbox connecting to the Wifi when first booting up. Is there a setting or recommendation (beside running ethernet) to help speed this up?

Initially I had numerous 5GHZ drops, I don't want to jinx myself but over the last couple of days things seem to be relatively solid. I am noticing a lag or delay with devices like my TV and Xbox connecting to the Wifi when first booting up. Is there a setting or recommendation (beside running ethernet) to help speed this up?
This firmware works best for me with default WIFI settings. The only thing I changed was the SSID and passphrase and I did that at initial setup after factory reset. Usually I disable WPS but right now it is enabled. The 5 GHz does switch up to 160 MHz when a client connects that can use it (AC or AX).
I did tire of the log spam and set the log level to 5 (default is 6). Search this forum if you want to know how to change the log level.

Also the "lag" may be because you have the 5 GHz set to 160 MHz and the router has to clear for RADAR. Best to use 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz and auto channel with no DFS. This way when the router boots the 5 GHz will connect right away.

You're not using any wireless security? Or am I reading that wrong?
You are reading that wrong. The default WIFI values use WPA2-Personal. I mentioned WPA2/WPA3-Personal as that is what I used to use and some of my clients did not like that. I did mention in my prior post that I was using the default WIFI values.

I had a chance to factory reset and rebuild my router two days ago as I had to take the home network down to replace the UPS. That was a good excuse to tell the family they had to read a book for a while. After the reset and initial setup I changed none of the WIFI settings. I did set the DHCP server to start at address .20, set the DNS to Cloudflare Security (both regular DNS and DoT), set the DDNS, enabled port forwarding to my cam server, enabled AiProtect and QOS, disabled Media Server and set my time zone dates. I also set the log level to "5" to stop the log spam. InstantGuard and Wireguard server are enabled. The router has been working very well even switching between 80 and 160 MHz as required.

About my only concern with this firmware is the web GUI is slow to respond.

You are reading that wrong. The default WIFI values use WPA2-Personal. I mentioned WPA2/WPA3-Personal as that is what I used to use and some of my clients did not like that. I did mention in my prior post that I was using the default WIFI values.

I had a chance to factory reset and rebuild my router two days ago as I had to take the home network down to replace the UPS. That was a good excuse to tell the family they had to read a book for a while. After the reset and initial setup I changed none of the WIFI settings. I did set the DHCP server to start at address .20, set the DNS to Cloudflare Security (both regular DNS and DoT), set the DDNS, enabled port forwarding to my cam server, enabled AiProtect and QOS, disabled Media Server and set my time zone dates. I also set the log level to "5" to stop the log spam. InstantGuard and Wireguard server are enabled. The router has been working very well even switching between 80 and 160 MHz as required.

About my only concern with this firmware is the web GUI is slow to respond.
OK that makes sense. WPA2-Personal is what I'm using also.

Use http access only and it will be fast.

A firmware released with firewall issue is a major concern to me.
Firewall issue? None here.
And I said nothing about using HTTPS. What don't you understand about default settings. I stated what I had changed....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!