What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

just to confirm is pressing WPS button to hard reset is sufficient, there is also a reset button in the back and from within GUI. what's the best way to ensure its hard reset. Does AX86U has the 30-30-30 seconds sequence like AC68U used to?
The AX86U sometimes does not fully reset with a Hard Factory Reset. However, I have found a reset and initialize from the GUI to work always for me. The advertised "nuclear reset" is a waste of time. The 30 30 30 reset was for Linksys routers.

Hold up...I thought hard reset on the AX86U was hold the reset in for 15 seconds or more? It's the wps button?

Asus routers never used the 30-30-30 reset method.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

And if it doesn't fully reset (i.e. work as expected) after doing the above, the consecutive use of all reset methods to fully reset the router may be needed.

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710
Interesting that he named it nuclear reset

I have found a reset and initialize from the GUI to work always for me.
this is what I have been doing back to the AC68 beginning

Anyways, running well with 21709, at 80 MHz. I just got two additional AX clients. Will be configuring/testing with 160 MHz soon.

Last edited:
I didn't name it Nuclear Reset (I just adopted that name after others were addressing it like that).

And it is not a waste of time when a router is extra stubborn to fully reset itself when we just try one or two of the methods available either.

Last edited:
what the heck, I decided to enable 802.11ax/WiFi 6 Mode and 160 MHz in the AX86U. Control Channel still set to 149, channel bandwidth set to 20/40/80/160 MHz.

Looks like both Galaxy S22+ are connecting via AX and a Asus USB-AX56. I need to check the channel bandwidth on these.

But my most advanced adapter in my latest laptop (the one I'm using now) is only connecting at 802.11ac. It's a Killer WiFi 6E 160MHz AX1675 (210NGW). Time for troubleshooting

Uninstall the horrible Killer software and your issues should disappear too.

I still find 386_49559 firmware the best firmware for this router in terms of Wi-Fi connectivity.
I just wish we could get back to rock solid updates that don't have wierd stuff going on to the best feature for maxing out pipelines. For the longest time it was rock solid...I'll try and default again with this new firmware, one more time.

Last edited:
I had that uninstalled, before this laptop updated to Win 11.

what the heck, I decided to enable 802.11ax/WiFi 6 Mode and 160 MHz in the AX86U. Control Channel still set to 149, channel bandwidth set to 20/40/80/160 MHz.

Looks like both Galaxy S22+ are connecting via AX and a Asus USB-AX56. I need to check the channel bandwidth on these.

But my most advanced adapter in my latest laptop (the one I'm using now) is only connecting at 802.11ac. It's a Killer WiFi 6E 160MHz AX1675 (210NGW). Time for troubleshooting
I got it, switched the AX86U's Control Channel to Auto and enabled using DFS channels. At first, all clients were at a high Control Channel (think 153) and 20 MHz bandwidth and crappy speedtests.

Then, after a few minutes, the router changed to Control Chanel 100. Simply disconnected the laptop from the network and reconnected. Got the Win 11 popup stated AX Mode, better performance blah blah and...

Woohoo, laptop and my S22+ getting amazing results with my initial speed tests.

Just for the heck of it, I'm going to disconnect/re-connect all 5GHz clients

Currently, I just want to play around with 160 MHz, but 80 MHz is good enough for our needs around here and I'm the only one in the DFS channels. Not many neighbors (who are 500+ feet away for the most part) are really even impacting my 5GHz space anyways. I'll have to see how the radar in the area impacts me. I may try manually setting channel to 36.

Last edited:
Interesting, the Nodes do their own thing now in regard to the 5 GHz band's control channel. They stayed on 153 (the AX86U went to 100) and after reboot, the two Nodes are on the very low 5 GHz channels.

And, the AC68U won't connect to the AX86U for its backhaul (which is Wireless backhaul), it only connects to the AC86U which is backhauled via ethernet (well, MoCa 2.5) to the AX86U.

I had the AC68U preferred backhaul via wireless set to the AX86U, now I set that to Auto since it's just going to connect to the AC86U. I need to dig into this more, why the AC68U now won't backhaul to the AX86U.

Last edited:
I still find 386_49559 firmware the best firmware for this router in terms of Wi-Fi connectivity.
Fully agree with you - but sadly that Asus stock source code and its drivers never made it into Merlinware.
386.7.2 included Asus 386_48966 which was never released publicly by Asus for the RT-AX86U.

²
Interesting, the Nodes do their own thing now in regard to the 5 GHz band's control channel. They stayed on 153 (the AX86U went to 100) and after reboot, the two Nodes are on the very low 5 GHz channels.

And, the AC68U won't connect to the AX86U for its backhaul (which is Wireless backhaul), it only connects to the AC86U which is backhauled via ethernet (well, MoCa 2.5) to the AX86U.

I had the AC68U preferred backhaul via wireless set to the AX86U, now I set that to Auto since it's just going to connect to the AC86U. I need to dig into this more, why the AC68U now won't backhaul to the AX86U.
The AC68U does not do DFS channels.

²
The AC68U does not do DFS channels.
It did when I only had the AC68u, back in the day with those early Merlin versions, I had set the channel to a DFS and ran with that for a while until I needed to use an older client that didn't have that support

I see now Asus did not resubmit that model to the FCC and read what Merlin posted

Because for a device to offer DFS channels, the manufacturer must have the FCC validate it for DFS channel usage. Asus didn't do so with the RT-AC68U, hence it's not supported by the stock firmware or my firmware, and won't be unless Asus were to resubmit the router for validation.

The fact that older/non conforming firmwares allows it is in violation of FCC regulations, and I have zero plan of going against that, even if could - which I can't. Newer drivers are more tightly locked down.

Last edited:
Fully agree with you - but sadly that Asus stock source code and its drivers never made it into Merlinware.

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 for this router- the best mix of base plus what was added on top with few easy to fix bugs. You don't really need to chase the latest and play beta tester of both base plus first additions on top. Or wait for Asuswrt after 388_4xxxx and Asuswrt-Merlin after 388.4_x. You can choose to ignore my opinion and testing experience like some others, I'm good with that. Thinking to donate the router and be done with it. Right now there is no good choice of firmware except few older releases. One thing fixed, two broken.

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 for this router- the best mix of base plus what was added on top with few easy to fix bugs. You don't really need to chase the latest and play beta tester of both base plus first additions on top. Or wait for Asuswrt after 388_4xxxx and Asuswrt-Merlin after 388.4_x. You can choose to ignore my opinion and testing experience like some others, I'm good with that. Thinking to donate the router and be done with it. Right now there is no good choice of firmware except few older releases. One thing fixed, two broken.
Would be glad to take your AX86U. I have a not for profit I help with that could use it. Would expect a router sold on Canada to work in the US?

Would be glad to take your AX86U.

Don't worry about it. I run scheduled charity events twice a year.

Again - fully agree with you - 386.5_2 was a great version ... and interestingly based on a widely released [across several router models] Asus stock firmware version GPL 386_46065.

Do you have any idea if the RT-AX86U was manufactured in multiple different factories - with the possibility of some components not being of the same standard across the board? I recall we had that curious period where a bunch of RT-AX86U's got bricked after Asus released a new stock firmware [which was rapidly withdrawn after Asus had to replace the bricked ones]? Some were fine - others were bricked.

Could this have triggered the development of the RT-AX86-Pro with some upgrades and a push for greater component consistency?.

I and many others enjoy your contributions to this forum - even though you comments may at times be a touch "acidic" ;).
Please don't pack it in - and don't ditch that RT-AX86U :cool:.

Again - fully agree with you - 386.5_2 was a great version ... and interestingly based on a widely released [across several router models] Asus stock firmware version GPL 386_46065.

Do you have any idea if the RT-AX86U was manufactured in multiple different factories - with the possibility of some components not being of the same standard across the board? I recall we had that curious period where a bunch of RT-AX86U's got bricked after Asus released a new stock firmware [which was rapidly withdrawn after Asus had to replace the bricked ones]? Some were fine - others were bricked.

Could this have triggered the development of the RT-AX86-Pro with some upgrades and a push for greater component consistency?.

I and many others enjoy your contributions to this forum - even though you comments may at times be a touch "acidic" ;).
Please don't pack it in - and don't ditch that RT-AX86U :cool:.
I, too, have wondered if place and date of manufacture had a bearing on success or failure of firmware. Not much has been going on in the world in the past two years ;). I've not had the issues others have had and my AX86U is a 2020 made in Vietnam.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!