What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285 (15-05-2023)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have been experiencing some issues with wireless on the new firmware (sites failing to load/timing out) the wired connection however works ok. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?

I have been experiencing some issues with wireless on the new firmware (sites failing to load/timing out) the wired connection however works ok. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?
In my setup, no, I have my phone, bulbs echo speakers and a nest audio on wireless, and haven't had any sort of connection interruptions. Thought I would also include my Sony android TV, I don't use it much online, but I have it connected mainly for updates.

Last edited:
A family member informed me that he had not been able to connect to the internet for several minutes.
I checked the logs and found that it had rebooted on its own again.
Rolled back to past firmware that was stable.

What issue did it NOT solve? updating, or simply updating through the download option. Depending on who you talk to, some say it's more reliable to download the file from Asus, then flash in the UI. I personally have done it both ways, but haven't had issues either way.
It doesn't solve the issue that router doesn't find any new firmware, in other words it says the current FW is up to date...

It doesn't solve the issue that router doesn't find any new firmware, in other words it says the current FW is up to date...
Well, no, but that sounds like an isolated issue with your setup, since no one else here has reported that. Maybe a power cycle, or a factory reset, if you're really concerned about it, or if you're having any additional problems in conjunction to this one.

It doesn't solve the issue that router doesn't find any new firmware

I would be happy if the router never finds a new firmware and I update it manually only when I want to. Also other automatic update services like ASD that recently created issues for millions of users with some ending up with completely frozen and unable to recover themselves routers. One of the past firmware updates bricked some AX86U routers and the owners had to use RMA. Given the level of quality control "sorry" is not enough.

I would be happy if the router never finds a new firmware and I update it manually only when I want to. Also other automatic update services like ASD that recently created issues for millions of users with some ending up with completely frozen and unable to recover themselves routers. One of the past firmware updates bricked some AX86U routers and the owners had to use RMA. Given the level of quality control "sorry" is not enough.
I don't even enable auto-update on my Asus router. don't trust the updates. I enabled it on my TP-Link router, because they usually provide more stable firmware based on my experience with the two. I'm mainly using the Asus now, because of the extra features it has, but ultimately I could use either one now, after getting things under control and knowing the right configurations to use.

I don't even enable auto-update on my Asus router.

Enabled or not we have reports routers do auto update when Asus decides it's needed.

Enabled or not we have reports routers do auto update when Asus decides it's needed.
I remember reading some time ago that the FCC was going to require manufacturers have their routers do auto upgrades as a security measure since consumers are basically dumb and don't have a clue about security. I searched but could not find that article. Of course I am old and likely imagining things...

I remember reading some time ago that the FCC was going to require manufacturers have their routers do auto upgrades

Correct. The manufacturers have to make sure they do it properly. I've wasted two days fixing routers not even mine.

I remember reading some time ago that the FCC was going to require manufacturers have their routers do auto upgrades as a security measure since consumers are basically dumb and don't have a clue about security. I searched but could not find that article. Of course I am old and likely imagining things...
@bbunge Well as I said, I have auto update on the Asus disabled, but check manually from time to time, and then check here for any problem reports, and then update. On the TP-Link router, I feel comfortable leaving auto update on, when I use it because I feel they don't release bad firmware randomly like Asus sometimes does, and therefore seems more reliable to let update unattended . I like both routers equally, and why I kept both, one for a backup. I just have seen a lot of Asus random update issues since I've been following here after getting the router.

Well as I said, I have auto update on the Asus disabled

As I said this doesn't guarantee your router will not auto update. One SNB user is selling the routers for that reason in "Buy, Sell, Trade" section.

As I said this doesn't guarantee your router will not auto update. One SNB user is selling the routers for that reason on "Buy, Sell, Trade" section.
OH I wasn't sure what you meant with your comment the first time around. Now I follow you, you're saying the router may still auto update even with the setting turned off. So far, I've never had either router auto update, I've always done it manually. Maybe I catch in time.

I've never had my RT-AX86 update when auto update was disabled. But I do think that one firmware update did turn auto update back on. Just once. I go check for updates fairly often so I noticed it and turned it back off.

My 86u and 86s have auto update disabled.
As flaky as the asus firmware is,I also would be selling these routers if they updated on their own.
Never had these issues on my netgear routers.
I wonder at times why this router is so highly rated with all the firmware issues? They need more competent software engineering.

I wonder at times why this router is so highly rated with all the firmware issues?

I wonder the same thing for >1 year and the only answer I find is - RT-AC68U and RT-AC86U owners don't have much upgrade options in the same space saving form factor. It is what it is, good or bad. When I got mine then available latest firmware had broken Wi-Fi and I was thinking the unit is defective. The most annoying bug in this release is broken Network Services Filter page. Whoever needs it has to downgrade. Bandwidth Limiter and Adaptive QoS with IPv6 enabled are still broken, but most users perhaps have Adaptive QoS set and may not see it. For GUI bugs - fix somewhere in 2024, I hope.

Let's not forget this thing sells for about $200 now and has Raspberry Pi router, AX-class access point and 5-port switch inside. I also recommend it because it's cheap and good enough for home use with user-friendly GUI and few clicks upgrade option to Asuswrt-Merlin for whoever needs it.

Last edited:
I have 160MHz set, the client has connections at 2400mbps, I have wifi speeds up to 1Gbits, and the wifi analyzer (winInfoView) shows that it occupies a channel with a width of only 80 MHz, why?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!