What's new

Asus rt-ax86u 5ghz band crashing with new firmware when downloading

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsoconfused

New Around Here
So I updated to the new firmware and have been going nuts figuring this out. I can only assume it’s the new firmware at this point. It crashes whenever I torrent/FaceTime/download large files/mega sync, basically anything data intensive. It’s so frustrating. The 2.4ghz band works fine though.

So I updated to the new firmware and have been going nuts figuring this out. I can only assume it’s the new firmware at this point. It crashes whenever I torrent/FaceTime/download large files/mega sync, basically anything data intensive. It’s so frustrating. The 2.4ghz band works fine though.
What have you changed on the 5 GHz from the defaults? Always best to go back to the WIFI defaults when you have issues and do not use DFS channels. Do use Dual Band SmartConnect.
You may think I am wrong but I have tested Merlin 388.1 as well as the current Asus firmware and I do not have any WIFI issues on either firmware. I do use the defaults!

What have you changed on the 5 GHz from the defaults? Always best to go back to the WIFI defaults when you have issues and do not use DFS channels. Do use Dual Band SmartConnect.
You may think I am wrong but I have tested Merlin 388.1 as well as the current Asus firmware and I do not have any WIFI issues on either firmware. I do use the defaults!
I have not changed anything on the 5ghz band and I'm not using dual band smart connect (my 2.4ghz band and 5ghz band are separated). I'm also not using DFS channels.

I have not changed anything on the 5ghz band and I'm not using dual band smart connect (my 2.4ghz band and 5ghz band are separated). I'm also not using DFS channels.
I was seeing the same thing. Are you using auto channel selection? Once I set it to a fixed channel things have become much more stable.

I was seeing the same thing. Are you using auto channel selection? Once I set it to a fixed channel things have become much more stable.
This unfortunately didn't work either. :( This is so weird, it's literally only an issue on 5ghz and it stops working almost immediately. There are only 2-3 devices on 5ghz band too.

Same here, every device from my network crashed in my 5Ghz band. I think it's a random issue, it happens always suddenly. I need to reconnect the device again to get Internet connection.

I was beginning to think you must be the luckiest person on the planet with a RT-AX86U and zero wireless issue on 388.1 ... until I spotted your signature which suggests you are actually running RT-AX86U 3.0.0.4.388_22068 ... which is of course Asus stock firmware. ;)...

I tried every trick in the book with my two RT-AX86U's [nuclear resets etc - you name it] and simply could NOT get 160MHz to stick and stay on with 388.1 - despite reporting that the fixed channel I chose was cleared for radar ...
2022-12-19 18_41_45-Window.png

If I reboot - my Samsung S22 gets 160 MHz connection and briefly flies at 2400/24400 Mbps - but go out of range and return ... and she reverts to 80MHz with max of 1200/1200 Mbps - as you see above !!

My ONLY way of achieving full AX speeds on my 6GHz devices is to return to 386.5_2 which had Asus stock wireless drivers that worked properly and consistently at 160MHz.

I SO wish that @RMerlin could include the RT-AX86U in a final release of the 386 code but with the GPL from the last version released by Asus for the RT-AX86U - namely 3.0.04.386_49599 - which has wireless drivers that work properly.

simply could NOT get 160MHz to stick and stay on with 388.1

This firmware doesn't hold some devices at 80MHz as well. I won't be sharing any observations in Asuswrt-Merlin release threads anymore though because I turn into the bad guy every time. Some of the releases I gave up testing on day one. Wi-Fi and AiMesh are core functions on Asus wireless routers.

Wi-Fi and AiMesh are core functions on Asus wireless routers.
and they happen to be the cause of the majority of "problem" posts when there is a new version release of Asuswrt-Merlin.
I do however appreciate the developers frustrations with these posts given the fact that they relate to closed source components of his offering over which he has no control.
Most often they do point to real issues with the WiFi drivers and/or AiMesh code provided in Asus stock releases ... but there have been strange occurrences where stock code works a treat and yet the same stock code merged into Merlinware fails on one or the other of these core functions?

WiFi drivers and/or AiMesh code provided in Asus stock releases ...

I understand, but both work better in Asuswrt stock releases.

but there have been strange occurrences where stock code works a treat and yet the same stock code merged into Merlinware fails

The closed + open source on top effect. This is exactly the issue with AiMesh.

Most often they do point to real issues with the WiFi drivers and/or AiMesh code provided in Asus stock releases
I've seen a significant number of RT-AX86U owners who solved their wifi issues in 388.1 by doing a factory default reset and reconfiguring their router.

I always start fresh and it didn't go well. I believe you have wasted a lot of time building your firmware on top of some beta Asuswrt base.

I've seen a significant number of RT-AX86U owners who solved their wifi issues in 388.1 by doing a factory default reset and reconfiguring their router.
Believe me - I've been around long enough to know how to factory reset my RT-AX86U's [and I'm aware that for some odd reason that router model sometimes does not fully reset - so do multiple successive resets with minimum configs in between]. I also eject USB, remove it, disable JFFS custom scripts, enable format JFFS partition at next boot THEN reboot without USB or any custom scripts running ... and only at that stage [giving it proper time to format the JFFS] do I upload the required firmware image. Several minutes after the router comes up under the newly loaded firmware I then do all the factory reset steps.

Definitely overkill I know - but slow and steady manual setups after that and BEFORE adding back the add-ons I enjoy - I experience the WiFi driver issue - not holding 160MHz. The WiFi 6 clients connect OK - starting at 160MHz but soon revert to 80MHz max. If you see the image I posted above it confirms that Channel 36 is clear of Radar issues at 160MHz - and so it should be, I am nowhere near an airport or weather station.

Reverting to 386.5_2 and my WiFI 6 clients are happy chappies :D. Go figure ???

I always start fresh and it didn't go well. I believe you have wasted a lot of time building your firmware on top of some beta Asuswrt base.
I don't understand why the developer is prepared to build his versions on unreleased stock versions - other than perhaps a consequence of the unrelenting pressure placed on him from some impatient forum members who need to satisfy their perpetual "update OCD's" :rolleyes:.

I would FAR prefer less frequent releases built on tested Asus stock - so we can all get back to the REAL joys of Merlinware - top class stability and incredibly useful features with Add-Ons where required]. :D.

@kernol I notice in that last screenshot that
"DFS State: Idle".
Doesn't anyone else see that?
Mine is always "In Service Monitoring (ISM)" and I have no problems with automatic switching to 160Mhz, so I think that wants investigating.

@kernol I notice in that last screenshot that
"DFS State: Idle".
Doesn't anyone else see that?
Mine is always "In Service Monitoring (ISM)" and I have no problems with automatic switching to 160Mhz, so I think that wants investigating.
You do not have the same router - yours is an RT-AX88U ... which by all accounts is better off under 388.1 than the RT-AX86U.

You do not have the same router - yours is an RT-AX88U ... which by all accounts is better off under 388.1 than the RT-AX86U.
I appreciate that, but surely features like that should work the same way? No ISM, no 160?

I appreciate that, but surely low-level stuff like that works the same way?
Nope - the problem is specific to the WiFi drivers provided for the RT-AX86U within the Asus stock code used to compile 388.1
This is closed source stuff which RMerlin can't fix - so 386.5_2 works so well on the RT-AX86U because of the stability of the stock driver it included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!