What's new

Asus rt-ax86u 5ghz band crashing with new firmware when downloading

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope - the problem is specific to the WiFi drivers provided for the RT-AX86U within the Asus stock code used to compile 388.1
This is closed source stuff which RMerlin can't fix - so 386.5_2 works so well on the RT-AX86U because of the stability of the stock driver it included.
I am now on 386.5_2 on a RT-AX86s and everything is super stable. Thanks, I had a lot of WiFi connection issues with 388.1.

I am now on 386.5_2 on a RT-AX86s and everything is super stable. Thanks, I had a lot of WiFi connection issues with 388.1.
Did you reset to defaults after flashing from 386 to 388 and rebuild your settings from "scratch"?
It is highly recommended to do so if theres was new main-version.

I have the same problems. Streaming using 5Ghz hangs a lot. When this happens I have these logs:
kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_hostapd_sec : update bss - wpa_ie and wpa2_ie is not null

Did not a reset because entering all settings again is very time consuming. Also because I have mesh-system and I need to install stock first, then configure mesh and then install merlin since merlin doesn't detect my mesh nodes

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the more I learn about WiFi... the more I don't understand. 160MHz in particular.
I'm not quite sure how the router could possibly be in 160MHz & 80MHz modes at the same time.
I do understand how the router can adjust to different PHY transmission speeds on a per client basis.
But (& this is obviously over-simplified)...
I've previously read that... when sharing WiFi with multiple clients the network will slow to support the slowest devices. (Reverse Compatibility)
Yet when the Goal is to attain: Maximum Throughput (WiFi is most certainly NOT compatible with older & slower devices).
For Example) If you enable DFS... Many older client devices will not be able to use the 5G Network because... they can't use those middle frequencies.

I do understand that 2.4GHz & 5GHz can be separated & used independently.
But IMO 160MHz seems to blur these lines even further.
Unless it's actually supposed to use that wider bandwidth in the HIGHER frequencies & be totally independent.
However from what I've read... It currently seems to rely heavily on sharing DFS channels.
And if your router has to vacate those frequencies for 30mins whenever (something that looks likes radar) is detected... IMO That can't be stable.

But I'm not saying 160MHz never works.
In-fact what I suspect may be happening is after a 160MHz client drops back down to 80MHz it never EVER checks if it can reconnect at 160MHz
However... wouldn't that be a specific NIC option within each & every client driver device?
And of course this would also have to be supported within the latest firmware(s).
Perhaps this is what has gone wrong.

But in Closing.
Haven't our networks always been somewhat-limited via our slowest network clients?
While the fastest network speeds can never be 100% reverse compatible.

In-fact what I suspect may be happening is after a 160MHz client drops back down to 80MHz it never EVER checks if it can reconnect at 160MHz
Everytime my laptop connectes to router or node they switch to 160 MHz and bandwith to laptop is 2.4 Gbit/s. After disconnecting laptop, router and node fall back to 80MHz. Works pefectly.

Everytime my laptop connectes to router or node they switch to 160 MHz and bandwith to laptop is 2.4 Gbit/s. After disconnecting laptop, router and node fall back to 80MHz. Works pefectly.
That is very cool (& impressive) + I see by your signature: you're using TWO identical RT-AX88U with one running Merlin's 388.1 & the other being a Node with what must be stock.
So obviously you've checked the _ Enable 160 MHz box... But I should also ask:
-For channel bandwidth are you using: 20/40/80/160 MHz
Or did you manually select & force 160MHz ( I would expect you selected the Range)
& what about your control channel ?
+ did you enable the: _ Auto select channel including DFS channels ?

What has surprised me the most was already pointed out via @Ripshod
@kernol I notice in that last screenshot that
"DFS State: Idle".
Doesn't anyone else see that?
Mine is always "In Service Monitoring (ISM)" and I have no problems with automatic switching to 160Mhz, so I think that wants investigating.

Why the Hell would DFS be handled so differently between these two models?
Seems somewhat suspect to me
Hmmmmmm

EDIT: If the EXPECTED response to a DFS Check was invalid (Or not matched exactly) via source-code...
Wouldn't it behave very similarly to these types of complaints regarding 160MHz on the RT-AX86U?

Last edited:
Please note this thread is all about the malfunctioning of a SPECIFIC router model - namely the RT-AX86U on 388.1 !!! See thread title and and note the posts dealing with the RT-AX86U.
It serves no purpose chiming in and telling this thread that your RT-AX88U works fine on 388.1 - different WiFi drivers.

Unfortunately, the more I learn about WiFi... the more I don't understand. 160MHz in particular.
@capncybo - if you indeed have WiFi 6 devices - then backup your buggy 388.1 system [save settings and save JFFS] - then load 386.5_2, reset and experience the speed rush you will get on those devices and more importantly enjoy the awesome stability and quiet system logs that firmware brings. :D.
Alternatively - keep your RT-AX86U's on 388.1 - ignore your logs and put up with intermittent drops of your WiFi clients.

You welcome :cool:.

Hang in there on 386.5_2 for now .... I am confident the Developer will be given a stable 388 release by Asus to build 388.3 so we can have the benefit of updated patches plus the new and improved WireGuard system Merlinware provides. Given the multiple number of Asus 388 stock release versions issued already for the RT-AX86U after Merlin built 388.1 - there is hope that one of them will prove stable.

I have the same problems. Streaming using 5Ghz hangs a lot. When this happens I have these logs:
kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_hostapd_sec : update bss - wpa_ie and wpa2_ie is not null

Did not a reset because entering all settings again is very time consuming. Also because I have mesh-system and I need to install stock first, then configure mesh and then install merlin since merlin doesn't detect my mesh nodes
I see you had your RT-AX86U running under Merlinware 386.5_2 earlier this year - so IF you have a backup of your settings and JFFS partition under that version - then do yourself and all those connecting to your network a REAL favour and revert to 386.5_2 and enjoy super speeds and rock steady stability.

It's a total waste of time resetting and building 388.1 from scratch on an RT-AX86U [see my earlier post in this thread] - you will still have buggy WiFi and your AiMesh will NOT function in a stable manner - even if you run stock on the nodes [you will get intermittent client drops]

No matter what we say @kernol most folks will try again and again just because a few report no issues whatsoever always and use scare tactics the older firmware exposes your entire network, family, friends, the cat, the dog, etc. to all kind of unspecified bad things on Internet. Let them try, it's okay. Reboot and reset is part of Asus experience after all. Not needed in general, but better do it few times on every firmware update. Makes life more interesting.

Oh alrighty then ...
throw_in_the_towel.png

:rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:
I Have a AX86U and i am doing dirty upgrades over 2 years now and i Have no problems. Using AX for one computer and 5 computer on AC On the ac and 3 on G . I have no problem at all also i do speed test all the time and don't see any problems.

I Have a AX86U and i am doing dirty upgrades over 2 years now and i Have no problems. Using AX for one computer and 5 computer on AC On the ac and 3 on G . I have no problem at all also i do speed test all the time and don't see any problems.
Drop your system log into pastebin and I'll introduce you to all the glitches you are not recognizing :oops:

Running 1x AC86U (386.x) and 2x AX86S (388.x) as mesh nodes, wired backhaul. 5Ghz is only available on AC86U, no 5Ghz on mesh nodes.

No issues on mine with 5ghz. Dirty Install from previous. About 10 devices on 5ghz. CH 64, 160MHZ

Last edited:
I don't have any problem with my two rt-ax86u in wifi backhaul in aimesh mode. No dropouts on 2.4 or 5.4Ghz band. I have some IoT devices and they stay connected. Also using 160Mhz on channel 64 working fine without any dropouts. I have always upgrade dirty working fine. I't seems people having problem is same one altime.
Only thing unsure its roaming working, haven't have time to test it.

Having tested 388.1 release on factory reset AX86S and dirty upgrade on AX86U, there were few problems with AX86U. Buffers size was around 100mb+ with just 2 devices running. Having factory reset and reconfigured, only 5Ghz WiFis takes longer to load/appear. Using 2.4Ghz if I am making any configurations/reboot. I only read a little about RAM (cache,buffers etc) but seeing big yellow section on scMerlin was quite worrying. Now everything back to around 1mb-18mb buffers size with 8 clients on the network. Switching between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with 160MHz enabled with my laptop didnt get 160MHz at first, but after reboot it is always back to 160MHz from 20MHz on 2.4Ghz

I don't have any problem with my two rt-ax86u in wifi backhaul in aimesh mode. No dropouts on 2.4 or 5.4Ghz band. I have some IoT devices and they stay connected. Also using 160Mhz on channel 64 working fine without any dropouts. I have always upgrade dirty working fine. I't seems people having problem is same one altime.
Only thing unsure its roaming working, haven't have time to test it.
I have a very similar setup to yourself. My main router is an RT-AX88U running Merlin with 2 x RT-AX86U nodes running stock (Merlin was a disaster on these as nodes). I use ethernet backhaul, and have been doing full resets etc after installing each version.

I have been trying to diagnose instability on my network as I run many IOT devices. My 2.4Ghz Ring cameras were getting poor performance and a number of other new and up-to-date IOT devices would stick with my AX88U no matter what I did. I could have 50 devices on my AX88U with only 5 each on my nodes. Normally I see an even spread across all 3 routers.

I think there are 2 different problems at play - one of which might answer your "roaming" query:

1. I am seeing a problem with mainly my 2.4Ghz devices. I have not 100% got to the bottom of it but when I run 386_49599 or any of the 388 releases on my AX86Us and start with default WiFi settings (except manually setting 2.4Ghz to 20Mhz Ch.11, 5Ghz to 80Mhz Ch.100, Disable Universal Beamforming on both bands) my devices will do their best to stay off the AX86Us and stick with the AX88U even if I bind them to my nodes.

This seems weird but I saw some success changing WPA/WPA2 mixed mode, and even more when enabling AES+TKIP despite my devices being new. They have no issue connecting to the AX88U in any cases and must be a quirk on the AX86U wifi drivers.

I have also seen that disabling AX mode with WPA2/WPA3 mode enabled has allowed the devices to spread across the nodes properly.

** I think this has been an issue pre-388 **

2. On the early Merlin 388 Alphas a problem occurred where AX86U nodes showed as disconnected from AiMesh even though they were working fine. Switching to stock firmware on the nodes apparently resolved that but I think there is still an issue. Using 388 (including 388_22068) on the AX86U nodes, I have seen on the AiMesh Topology that my nodes drop offline briefly and then reconnect even when using ethernet backhaul. I think this is causing strange roaming behaviour bumping clients to other devices (the other node or main router) when it happens.

** I think this is a 388 issue - not sure if its only when Merlin is used on main router **
So I am currently testing back in 386.8 and 386_49599 with AX mode disabled and all seems fine currently. But I need to run like this for a few days to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!