What's new

Beta Asus RT-AX89X_9.0.0.4_388_31185 Beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've a feeling the RT-AX89X may be reaching EOL soon....I've been getting random reboots and Wifi disconnections for the past 2-3 months. Probably time for an upgrade to Wifi 7.

What to replace the RT-AX89X with though? I use both the 10G base-T and 10G SFP+ ports.

Seemed to also be present in the latest 386 firmware. I woke up this morning to disconnection alerts from devices, power cycled my 89X only to find memory climbing steadily to 100% and effectively crashing within 10 minutes. Checked top in the SSH portal and noted asd appeared to be the culprit, no other changes occurred and I don't have much enabled. Found this thread and updated to 388_31307. Memory is stabilized at 51% for the past 15 minutes thus far.

We're at least three who all deterministically got that issue this morning of asd leaking like crazy. The latest beta firmware fixed it for me but that's very weird.

We're at least three who all deterministically got that issue this morning of asd leaking like crazy. The latest beta firmware fixed it for me but that's very weird.

That's bizarre, no firmware updated and seemingly nothing else occurred. Wonder if there was some bug with the time or date? I checked and nothing on the epoch bug list unless Asus utilizes a different method.

Same as you, the latest beta firmware has been running strong. I have 69 clients and RAM is at 46%.

If it helps anyone in anyway I've attached the log file from this morning. Around 4:03am I got disconnection notices which will typically lag a few minutes.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    982.6 KB · Views: 79
That's bizarre, no firmware updated and seemingly nothing else occurred. Wonder if there was some bug with the time or date? I checked and nothing on the epoch bug list unless Asus utilizes a different method.

Same as you, the latest beta firmware has been running strong. I have 69 clients and RAM is at 46%.

If it helps anyone in anyway I've attached the log file from this morning. Around 4:03am I got disconnection notices which will typically lag a few minutes.
Very bizarre though comforting to know that you folks had the same issue, so it isn't our individual hardware that has gone bad or some sort of hacker that got to our individual systems.
Are you on central time? I got a notification of my alarm switching to cellular backup at 2:17 pacific. So given the time time from the cpu usage & memory leak issue takes to lock up the system, the issue could have been trigged right around 2am.

Very bizarre though comforting to know that you folks had the same issue, so it isn't our individual hardware that has gone bad or some sort of hacker that got to our individual systems.
Are you on central time? I got a notification of my alarm switching to cellular backup at 2:17 pacific. So given the time time from the cpu usage & memory leak issue takes to lock up the system, the issue could have been trigged right around 2am.

I am on CT, your PT lines up around the same time my issues were noticed.

Seemed to also be present in the latest 386 firmware. I woke up this morning to disconnection alerts from devices, power cycled my 89X only to find memory climbing steadily to 100% and effectively crashing within 10 minutes. Checked top in the SSH portal and noted asd appeared to be the culprit, no other changes occurred and I don't have much enabled. Found this thread and updated to 388_31307. Memory is stabilized at 51% for the past 15 minutes thus far.
Same happened to me this morning. Downgraded firmware to 386.47191 and still the ram fills up every 15mins.

Count me as another victim of the weird memory leak/single core going to 100% until AX98X becomes unresponsive and drops clients. Tried a hard reset, a hard reset and then flashing the RT_AX89X_300438647468 fw again, and trying various saved configs and manual reconfigurations, and nothing helped. After 10-20 minutes one of the cores would peg to 100%, and the RAM would quickly get to >95% usage, and then the router would start disconnecting clients. Note that I am in EST, and woke up to connection issues @ 7:30am. I have about 40 clients on LAN, and WAN access to setup is disabled. My logs didn't show the OOM and Killed Processes messages until I reflashed the 300438647468 fw, then my logs looked just like CBme's on the other thread.

Thank you arigon for the link to the beta fw!!!!

The RT-AX89U_9.0.0.4_388_32094-ge476ac0_for_user beta fw seems to be working correctly. Currently 40 clients with 5-20% CPU usage, RAM generally around 50%.

I also woke up to the same issue this morning and this forum saved me! So odd this happened to all of us today. That doesn't seem like a random event and hope this doesn't mean the FW was hacked or something. Beta is currently working for me as well.

Here is temporary workaround (at least for the RT-AX89X issue that started today), that will prevent the router from constantly running out of memory and crashing.
You should all still open a support case with Asus, to make sure they are aware this is a massive issue, and fix it ASAP.

Connect to the router via telnet/ssh, and run this command:
Code:
kill -SIGSTOP $(ps | grep '[a]sd$' | awk '{print $1}')

You can check if the issue has been resolved by looking at /jffs/asd.log, and checking if it's being written to and rotating very quickly - I'm seeing between 100-300KB/s of writes to it when the asd process is not halted.

Last edited:
Here is temporary workaround (at least for the RT-AX89X issue that started today), that will prevent the router from constantly running out of memory and crashing.
You should all still open a support case with Asus, to make sure they are aware this is a massive issue, and fix it ASAP.

Connect to the router via telnet/ssh, and run this command:
Code:
kill -SIGSTOP $(ps | grep '[a]sd$' | awk '{print $1}')

You can check if the issue has been resolved by looking at /jffs/asd.log, and checking if it's being written to and rotating very quickly - I'm seeing between 100-300KB/s of writes to it when the asd process is not halted.

Thanks. I enabled ssh and ran this command after connecting to my router. It seems to have stopped the memory leak.

How would I view the contents of the jffs directory? What is the path to that directory?

Edit: I found out how to get to that directory and view the log file. Is it safe to delete this log file? If not, is there a way for me to clear those entries to free up some memory? Also, if I need to reboot my router, I assume that I will need to run this command again. Is this correct?

I also have this issue with my AX89X and its only in AP mode...

I registered an account here purely to say thank you to you legends for being on top of this and finding the beta firmware.

I was worried my router had expired when it kept locking up soon after every reboot, but it looks like the beta has stabilised the RAM usage again.

Pretty concerning if this is an exploit - not sure if it makes a difference but I've also now disabled WAN https access to the router.

Edit: I found out how to get to that directory and view the log file. Is it safe to delete this log file? If not, is there a way for me to clear those entries to free up some memory? Also, if I need to reboot my router, I assume that I will need to run this command again. Is this correct?
Deleting the log file won't free up memory only the storage space in /jffs. You can see how much space is currently used in /jffs with the following command.
Rich (BB code):
# df -h /jffs
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mtdblock9   47M  3.8M   44M   9% /jffs
You can the delete the log file if you really need to but if you're not running out of space it could be useful to look at and see what's been going on to cause this.

Count me in as another victim of the random memory leak climbing to 100% and crashing every 10 min.

Beta firmware resolved the issue for me, but not before I wiped my router and restored the settings trying to resolve it.

Thanks @arigon for the beta link. Where did you get it from? I used to run merlin firmware when i had my 88U, but had to revert back to stock when i got the ax89x. The beta has some nice little additions, so I'm just wondering how i can get access to the betas as they are released?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!