What's new

Beta Asus RT-AX89X_9.0.0.4_388_31185 Beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey!

Sorry I'm a little bit lost in there… do you mean that the router can't provide the 10gbps even if there is a port on it for it? or is just the speedtest that the router is not capable of carry it out? I'm a little bit puzzle about that, even when I understand what you are saying.

In other words… if I connect a computer to the sfp+ port on the RT-AX89X with a network card capable of 10gbps perhaps I would get something close to, with my current setup. But at the same time the router is not capable of make speed test close to that figure?

Is your network card, or the pci slot it is plugged into, able to run 10gbps?

No… I just have laptops at home without network cards and I don't have anything that can handle that but the two routers. The ISP one is really bare and bad, to be honest, and it's the one handling the fiber connection. I was working with 1gbps router till now, when I decided to improve the situation and get the full 10gbps my provider says it's giving me.

The ISP router has a 10gbps port and as you know the RT-AX89X too and they are connected through with the land cable provided on the router box.

I've been able to get up to 3gbps when doing a speed test on the router interface, but nothing beyond. I know that there are limitations to reach beyond 2.5gbps, but know the router is able to handle that. As far as I know and I've read around.

The router is underpowered to do the speed test internally.

To see if the router can provide close to the 10Gbps ISP speeds you're subscribing to, you need a computer that is properly connected via wire to test that for your WAN connection.

Two computers with those wired 10GbE capabilities will provide proof that the cables, cards, and other LAN-side components are capable of 10GbE speeds too (independent of the WAN-side of the capabilities of the router).

Unless you're enjoying some tremendous benefit from the 10Gbps ISP deal, I would drop back to the 1Gbps ISP speeds until you have the equipment to prove you're getting what you're paying for when you next get a 10Gbps ISP connection.

The router is underpowered to do the speed test internally.

To see if the router can provide close to the 10Gbps ISP speeds you're subscribing to, you need a computer that is properly connected via wire to test that for your WAN connection.

Two computers with those wired 10GbE capabilities will provide proof that the cables, cards, and other LAN-side components are capable of 10GbE speeds too (independent of the WAN-side of the capabilities of the router).

Unless you're enjoying some tremendous benefit from the 10Gbps ISP deal, I would drop back to the 1Gbps ISP speeds until you have the equipment to prove you're getting what you're paying for when you next get a 10Gbps ISP connection.
Hey!

I live in Switzerland, and the best cheapest internet is a 10gbps one. 40CHF/month. There are other companies with different deals and so, but this kind of speed is becoming a standard —on big cities— and even if you want to have less the price is not decreasing. Fiber is starting to be ubiquitous.

Anyhow, if you tell me that this is just a problem of the speed test of the router, because the speed test can't go beyond certain speed… I'm ok with that.

The router itself is not powerfull enough to run 10Gbps speedtest due the components might not fast enought such as; Ram or Storage or CPU. But if you can get the PC connect through 10Gbps Ethernet port it will do. I'm using this router too but I don't have the fastest Internet speed but it cabable of 10Gbps in local network for sure.

Hey!

I live in Switzerland, and the best cheapest internet is a 10gbps one. 40CHF/month. There are other companies with different deals and so, but this kind of speed is becoming a standard —on big cities— and even if you want to have less the price is not decreasing. Fiber is starting to be ubiquitous.

Anyhow, if you tell me that this is just a problem of the speed test of the router, because the speed test can't go beyond certain speed… I'm ok with that.
If your laptops have Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 ports, you could get a Thunderbolt to 10Gbe adapter like this one from QNAP.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KTLGTXB/?tag=snbforums-20

I've used this on both my Windows laptops and MacBooks and am able to get 8.9-9.1Gbps upload/download wired speeds with the adapter connected to a 10Gbe switch which goes to the RT-AX89X's 10G-BaseT port.

If your laptops have Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 ports, you could get a Thunderbolt to 10Gbe adapter like this one from QNAP.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KTLGTXB/?tag=snbforums-20

I've used this on both my Windows laptops and MacBooks and am able to get 8.9-9.1Gbps upload/download wired speeds with the adapter connected to a 10Gbe switch which goes to the RT-AX89X's 10G-BaseT port.
Thanks a lot! Because for me that is a big thing…

I'm not connecting now the router to the fiber directly, but perhaps I'll change company in the future and I will do… and it's one of the few consumer routers out there that can handle 10gbps and so… even if it's not able to sustain them for really long term… Anyhow it's what is on the consumer market now.

The only downside of the router is that I can't run merlin because of the chip, but is asus keeps updating it and provide some features like the ones on the beta, I think I'm going to keep it.

I'm not connecting now the router to the fiber directly, but perhaps I'll change company in the future and I will do… and it's one of the few consumer routers out there that can handle 10gbps and so… even if it's not able to sustain them for really long term… Anyhow it's what is on the consumer market now.

The only downside of the router is that I can't run merlin because of the chip, but is asus keeps updating it and provide some features like the ones on the beta, I think I'm going to keep it.
TP Link has a Wifi 6E router with two 10G ports, one of which is an SFP+/10G-BaseT combo port.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCWBCY34/?tag=snbforums-20

It's also launched a Wifi 7 router with two 10G ports, one of which is an SFP+/10G-BaseT combo port, and four 2.5G ports. Not sure when it'll be in stock though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRD3P4XV/?tag=snbforums-20

Asus has the ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 with two 10G-BaseT ports and one 2.5G port. However, in my case, CPU limitations meant that I was unable to get more than 2.5Gbps upload/download wired speeds out of this router when I turn on AiProtection or other QoS features.I can get 8.2-9.0Gbps wired speeds only with all features disabled. So I returned both the routers and went back to the RT-AX89X which gives me the 8.9-9.1Gbps wired speeds even with AiProtection enabled.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Z792WWF/?tag=snbforums-20

The ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 is supported by Merlin fyi.

After 21 days, memory is at 99%. On the bright side it continues to work fine.

ASUS phone app:
1005-1011MB / 1.00GB
Code:
13:17:33 up 21 days, 55 min,  load average: 7.21, 6.75, 6.66

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        881800     866240      15560       9416       2176      18376
-/+ buffers/cache:     845688      36112
Swap:            0          0          0

Still no official update of 388 firmware. Hoped that this beta was the last one before releasing the official one. Or at least a new beta to fix the memory leakage issue.

Definitely looking forward to this release - I "upgraded" to the ax89x from the ax11000 for the 10G support (which is great) but having to build VPNs in docker on individual devices when I was able to tunnel specifically with a GUI at the router level before is getting old.

I may give that beta a go and just schedule a router reboot every 72hrs.

Any word on an official release?

Last edited:
I'm on beta since January and is still ok, I scheduled weekly reboot twice. Merlin support, will be a beautiful dream come true 🤩 or at least a fork to install amtm + the rest of marvelous software.

I'm on beta since January and is still ok, I scheduled weekly reboot twice. Merlin support, will be a beautiful dream come true 🤩 or at least a fork to install amtm + the rest of marvelous software.
i thinks its imposible a fork like merlin.
This router have a lot of time in market and no fork :-( i think its imposible

for me its a beautifull dream, a release of 388 version. :p the development of this router is more slow like a turtle

i thinks its imposible a fork like merlin.
It is possible. Just that nobody with the necessary skills cares enough to develop one.

It is possible. Just that nobody with the necessary skills cares enough to develop one.
jejeje.
if someone like you say this, for the rest of mortals "its imposible" jejeje

jokes apart. its normal. this router dont have a lot of units in the market. if asus dont develop the firmware faster, i think not a lot of people bought this model :-(

jejeje.
if someone like you say this, for the rest of mortals "its imposible" jejeje

jokes apart. its normal. this router dont have a lot of units in the market. if asus dont develop the firmware faster, i think not a lot of people bought this model :-(
Well Ziply Fiber recommends it for their multi-gig plan, so I hope it picks up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!