What's new

Asus RT-N56U - port forwarding issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gottsnb1

New Around Here
I was wondering if someone could help me with my Asus RT-N56U issue.

I just installed the Asus RT-N56U router to replace an older Linksys router.
I have a small home network that has a single wired computer and a couple wireless computers/devices. Everything on the LAN is located behind the router (no DMZ, etc.) and all the local computers can access the internet.

The issue: I have single wireless Axis camera on the internal network. I want to be able to access this camera from the outside internet but I currently cannot. I must not have the port forwarding set correctly.
I have entered information in the virtual server for this device for a specific port but I still can't access it from the outside.

Current results:

- I can see the internal camera ip addrss (192.168.1.100) on the asus router network map.

- From internal network, I can access the camera with no problem. default http port for camera is port 80

- From outside internet, I can ping my external router ip address.

- From outside internet, I can access the Asus RT-N56U admin on port 8080. It prompts me for the user/pw and I can log in.

- From outside internet, when I try to access the camera via the external port I set up for it, I get - could not connect to 69.131.xxx.xxx (my enternal ip address)

Here is what I've configured that (i think) are relevant:

Firewall:
1. enable firewall: yes
2. enable web access from Wan: yes

Wan:
1. Wan connection type: automatic IP
2. Virtual Server:
1. enable virtual server: yes
2. added to virtual server list:
service-Cam1 portRange-8001 localip-192.168.1.100 localPort-80 protocol-TCP

From the outside I then try to access via external IP on port 8001 http://69.131.xxx.xxx:8001 but it fails with could not connect to 69.131.xxx.xxx

When I look at the system log -> port forwarding page it has an entry that looks like it should forward port 8001 requests to the appropriate local camera device. It has: destination-all proto-TCP Portrange-8001 redirectTo-192.168.1.100

Any suggestions on what else I need to set to allow external access to that internal camera device (192.168.1.100) or for that matter any other internal device?

Thanks for your help.

Try assigning the same source and destination ports. Move the camera port to 8001.