What's new

Asus RT-N66U and 3G Connection Problems !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jola

Occasional Visitor
I have recently acquired a RT-N66U, but as the ADSL in my area is very poor (exchange congestion) I will be using it with mobile data.

It worked out of the box, and all was fine until I decided to upgrade to the latest firmware on the Asus website, ie 3.0.0.3.112.

The 3G immediately stopped working, and no matter what I did I could not get it to work again. My main modem is an Huawei E372, but I also tried other modems eg E1820, E367 and some others - but no luck.

I also could not find a discussion on this issue by Googling it, except some random comment that E372 modems did not work even though they were on the selection dropdown list.

I did not make a note of the original firmware, so downloaded all the firmware on the Asus site, and then went backwards from newest to oldest until I found one that worked. The FW versions that did not work were 112, 108 and 96, and the first one that worked again was 3.0.0.3.90.

So I have the router working again, but I still intend to use it for a variety of functions, and I cannot say that I am happy that I have to go back to such old FW in order to get this to work.

Any ideas or suggestions about this matter ? It is clear that Asus somehow broke the 3G functionality of the FW during the development process.

Last edited:
It does not seems as if many RT-N66U owners use the 3G functionaility of this router, but for me it is essential.

Interestingly enough, I have an old RT-N13U B1 where the 3G functionality worked, but not as well as it should have - but a new firmware release sorted all of that out, I am optimistic that this will also happen with the RT-N66U.

In the meantime I will wait for firmware 130 from RMerlin, there is a possibility that this may work. Another possibility is TomatoUSB, but I won't go that way right at the moment.

I followed your K4605 to E372 firmware flashing tip successfully at this link so as to get my N66U to recognise the USB modem:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...-K4605-(Huawei-E372)-Firmware?highlight=K4605

And nothing worked. My N66U revision B1 shipped with the .90 firmware.

It simply would not detect the E372 via USB. At all.

Then by chance decided to upgrade to 3.0.0.3.162, the latest Asus firmware for the N66U.

And bang ... the E372 worked first time.... instantly connected as backup internet device via USB.

:confused::):confused:

Last edited:
I have recently acquired a RT-N66U, but as the ADSL in my area is very poor (exchange congestion) I will be using it with mobile data.

It worked out of the box, and all was fine until I decided to upgrade to the latest firmware on the Asus website, ie 3.0.0.3.112.

The 3G immediately stopped working, and no matter what I did I could not get it to work again. My main modem is an Huawei E372, but I also tried other modems eg E1820, E367 and some others - but no luck.

[...]

Any ideas or suggestions about this matter ? It is clear that Asus somehow broke the 3G functionality of the FW during the development process.

I'm using 3G (HUawei E372) as my only WAN connection too, and it works fine after I adapted the entries in the GUI from firmware .108 upwards.

Primary, it seems to be necessary (at least in my region - Austria) not to use the predefined modem settings for Huawei E372 (when I did so the modem itself was not even recognized) but to select "Auto" as "USB-Adapter". As a second step, I came to success when I restarted the router after implementing the new entry and letting the modem start up again by that step.

At presence I'm using Merlins latest FW (3.0.0.3.162.13), and I'm very satisfied with performance and stability of that build. Merlin wears his name absolutely rightly - he's a real wizard of FW :)

By the way - if there are other Austrians using 3G: just swallow down your national pride when making basic config: when selecting "location" you have to accept that ASUS isn't very firm in geografically questions. The entries for "Austria" are missing at the first glance. Therefore, just select "Australia" and take a look to the bottom of "ISP providers" - there you will find the correct ISP-entries for Austria :) (see attachment - the entries "A1", "3", "Orange", T-Mobile Austria" and "YESSS" will lead you to genuine Austrian ISP providers...)

But ASUS please note: there are no kangaroos in Austria - just a bunch of crazy people in the southern regions that sometimes act like crazy dipsy kangaroos!

Ciao
Gerald

Attachments

• Cap-120803-02.png
    Cap-120803-02.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
But ASUS please note: there are no kangaroos in Austria - just a bunch of crazy people in the southern regions that sometimes act like crazy dipsy kangaroos!

How could they confuse the land of Steve Irwin with the land of Arnold Schwarzenegger? :D

How could they confuse the land of Steve Irwin with the land of Arnold Schwarzenegger? :D

Schwarzenegger? Who for god's sake is Schwarzenegger?

I'll be back - CU :)
Gerald

3g and 3 in Sweden

Hi,
I see that there is an entry for the 3g providor 3 in Sweden, but there is nevery any entry field for the PIM code. It has a field for username and password, but that's something else.

How can you get your 3g modem working if you never enable device?

So, as you might expect, I haven't gotten the 3g backup working yet. My modem never goes green.

Hi,
I see that there is an entry for the 3g providor 3 in Sweden, but there is nevery any entry field for the PIM code. It has a field for username and password, but that's something else.

How can you get your 3g modem working if you never enable device?

So, as you might expect, I haven't gotten the 3g backup working yet. My modem never goes green.

I'm not sure if Asus enables PIN support in their release - see if you have better luck with mine, as I specifically enable support for PIN.

I also use my 3G as primary connection to the internet. Last night I installed Merlin 178.15. I had to re-do all the settings as required (price to pay for more stable firmware) and all went well. I could connect to the internet. Then I added the mac addresses for wireless connections of devices to the router. After this, the router/modem refused to connect to the internet. I rebooted manually and through the UI, but no luck. So I spent another hour to revert back to stock FW 90. I don't have more info to give regarding my setup, but perhaps someone can assist who had similar problems. I have several modems, but the two I want to use in this setup is the K4605 and K4510-z (both of which ran on the router like a rolex). After reverting to stovk FW 90, I had awesome speeds of 21.620 Mbps u/l, 3.146 Mbps d/l with 49ms latency.

No luck

Thanks! I downloaded your latest. Maybe I will give it a spin tonight. :)

No luck with the Huawei E180 3g modem. When set to auto it sees that it's a Huawei modem, but no connectivity. My modem light doesn't go constant green.

Otherwise I am pleased with the firmware. Nice with the tools section. I think I will stick with this mod and see what happens. So far it has performed well and I like the fixes and new features.

Thanks Jola for the advice. Seems like when you make the 3G connection your primary connection, there are some problems. I installed Merlin 178.15 again and this time did not make the 3G connection my primary connection. I don't have ADSL so 3G is my only connection (as failover). And now it all works fine.