What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
Bug fixed
- Fixed Android phone tethering mode detecting issue in quick internet setup process.
- Fixed PPPoE related issue.
- Fixed client rename issue in network map.
- Fixed network tool issues.
- Fixed wake on lan issues.

Modification
- Added automatic standby mode for CE Ecodesign directive.

The good old RT-N66U is not forgotten :)

I'm not sure if these are specific to this firmware, but anyway, I noticed these while reconfiguring the router after upgrade.

1. Port forwarding options - what does "source target" mean?
Y4lDPgY.png

2. IPv6 firewall rules - what is "English" here?
IPpoDio.png

1. Port forwarding options - what does "source target" mean?

It's a new feature Asus forgot to add to the changelog. It lets you specify a source IP that will be allowed to use the port forward. It allows you, for example, to setup a port foward to a computer's Remote Desktop, and allowing only connections coming from your office's IP to be forwarded.

Leave that field empty for the original "any source IP" behaviour.

2. IPv6 firewall rules - what is "English" here?

This usually indicate that the webpage tries to use a dictionary string that does not exist. This field is the "remote IP".

Bug fixed
- Fixed Android phone tethering mode detecting issue in quick internet setup process.
- Fixed PPPoE related issue.
- Fixed client rename issue in network map.
- Fixed network tool issues.
- Fixed wake on lan issues.

Modification
- Added automatic standby mode for CE Ecodesign directive.

The good old RT-N66U is not forgotten :)

And good to know they also release the GPL at the same time, not sure how complete, and not too bothered since I will wait for the good bits with bugs to be fixed and included in a future Merlin release (Asus have some catching up to do!)

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/

Just looking for people's thoughts / experiences whom have gone ahead with this firmware update (on the ASUS RT-N66U). I'm currently on 3.0.0.4.378_9529 from (3/10/2016) and have been hesitant to do any firmware updates since then. I have the feature enabled to restart each day at 5 am.

I've read too many horror stories of different stock firmwares causing serious issues for people. I know there have been some security related issues patched since 2016 and was just curious if people could weigh in on their success / experiences with the new firmware so far.

Thank You :)

Just looking for people's thoughts / experiences whom have gone ahead with this firmware update (on the ASUS RT-N66U). I'm currently on 3.0.0.4.378_9529 from (3/10/2016) and have been hesitant to do any firmware updates since then. I have the feature enabled to restart each day at 5 am.

I've read too many horror stories of different stock firmwares causing serious issues for people. I know there have been some security related issues patched since 2016 and was just curious if people could weigh in on their success / experiences with the new firmware so far.

Thank You :)
Your router firmware is from March 2016, at least two newer firmware versions contained security fixes.
Due to the security fixes alone I strongly recommend to upgrade the router firmware.
My RT-N66U did run fine on 3.0.0.4.380.3831, then I replaced the router by a RT-AC68U.
It won't really hurt to try the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.380.7266, with 3.0.0.4.380.3831 as fallback scenario.
The pain may be here: due the age of your current firmware I suggest to revert to Factory defaults after the firmware upgrade and manual configure the router.

I recently been using this firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266 for the last few hours, the router said I have valid IP address from my ISP, but I am getting a exclamation mark on my workstation. It will happen every two hours or so. To fix it, I need to reboot the router.

Anyone come across with the issue?

I recently been using this firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266 for the last few hours, the router said I have valid IP address from my ISP, but I am getting a exclamation mark on my workstation. It will happen every two hours or so. To fix it, I need to reboot the router.

Anyone come across with the issue?
I have had this same issue... When I run a test on my xbox it give me this error. "DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names”

The only way I can fix the issue is by rebooting my router. I might manually install the firmware version that was right before this one.

I have had this same issue... When I run a test on my xbox it give me this error. "DNS isn’t resolving Xbox server names”

The only way I can fix the issue is by rebooting my router. I might manually install the firmware version that was right before this one.

I am wondering if ASUS aware of the issue.

I just had a random reboot of my RT-N66U on this latest firmware. :/ I can't even remember the last time this happened.

I'm having problems with this firmware and a 300/300 megabits connection. Network performance is bad from time to time, with total network activity drop in some cases. I've observed via telnet that sirq is very high (90-99%) in those moments. I did a factory reset after the update and reconfigured manually to be sure it's not some weird settings issue.

Going back to previous version for now.

I'm having problems with this firmware and a 300/300 megabits connection. Network performance is bad from time to time, with total network activity drop in some cases. I've observed via telnet that sirq is very high (90-99%) in those moments. I did a factory reset after the update and reconfigured manually to be sure it's not some weird settings issue.

Can you get a 300 down and a 300 up in a speed test with this router wi-fi and wired? I would have to recommend upgrading to at least an AC1900 router for those speeds.

Can you get a 300 down and a 300 up in a speed test with this router wi-fi and wired? I would have to recommend upgrading to at least an AC1900 router for those speeds.
With version 380.3831 I have no problem reaching that speeds in speed tests or other usage. Downloading at 300 uses less than 40% CPU. Uploading and downloading at 300 at the same time seems to put the router at around 90%, depending on the number of connections.

With version 380.3831 I have no problem reaching that speeds in speed tests or other usage. Downloading at 300 uses less than 40% CPU. Uploading and downloading at 300 at the same time seems to put the router at around 90%, depending on the number of connections.
Hitting wireless throughput's of 300 Mbps with the RT-N66U seems only possible if you utilize the 3x3 feature.
With 2x2 I barely hit 150 Mbps with wireless, with a wired connection I was able to touch the ISP max of 500/500, see this post.

Hitting wireless throughput's of 300 Mbps with the RT-N66U seems only possible if you utilize the 3x3 feature.
With 2x2 I barely hit 150 Mbps with wireless, with a wired connection I was able to touch the ISP max of 500/500, see this post.

Interesting to know that there is still some performance left.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about wired performance. With the router doing nothing else than routing. This last firmware broke it for me. I have no problem with the previous version.

When you say previous version do you men .3831, if so how what procedure do you follow as i would like to do the same

When you say previous version do you men .3831, if so how what procedure do you follow as i would like to do the same
Rolling back is as simple as downloading the desired firmware version from the ASUS website and flashing it to the router just as you would when flashing a newer version. Don't forget to unzip the firmware download before flashing and unplug any USB devices before flashing. Since you are experiencing issues I would recommend resetting to factory defaults after flashing the older firmware version to make sure no "bad" settings are along for the ride. Next step is to manually configure your router. Do not restore a previous configuration as that will restore any "bad" settings and negate the factory reset.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!