What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Router / Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johnny concrete

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-N66U as a wireless router (taking WAN from Virgin Media Hub 3) functionality on ASUS is brilliant I love it, easy to set up, even intuitive.

My daughter was having trouble getting WIFI on Amazon Fire Stick & Now TV box.

In an effort to sort this out I bought another RT-N66U and set up as access point, assigned IP address as 192.168.1.2 (Router is 192.168.1.1) have set the wireless networks to all the same so 2.4 & 5 GHZ on both devices are ASUS (SSID) and the same PW?

Is this the best way to go about it? How do you know what device / WIFI you are connected to? Also is it best to hide SSID?

I’ve just done a speed test on iPad, I normally get anywhere from 140 - 201 Mbps download around 12 - 12.5 Mbps upload, this has now dropped to less than 20 Mbps download 11.77 upload?

When I turn off the access point my download goes back to 200Mbs?

Personally I would use different SSIDs for each band otherwise, as you point out, it's difficult to know what you are connecting to.

Don't hide the SSID. There's no advantage to it.

You say that when you turn off the AP the speed "goes back to 200Mbs". How/what are you connecting to at this time? I'm not sure I'm understanding how your network is set up.

Hi Colin,

thanks for the swift reply...

I have an Virgin Media Hub 3 in modem mode, an ASUS RT-N66U as the wireless router (192.168.1.1) with DHCP set to start at 192.168.1.50 (SONOS speakers, NAS drive with STATIC IP) then a ASUS RT-N66U set up as Access Point (192.168.1.2) cable between both ASUS devices the ASUS AP is in the routers assigned IP list as 192.168.1.2.

I then have the same SSID and PW for 2.4 & 5 Ghz on both devises with WPA2-Personal / AES set so all 4 channels, I have recently tried to change the channels so all 4 WIFI are different, still when the AP is on speed test is poor, just done it with AP turned off and got 194.85/12.15 upload/download?

OK. I can't see anything obviously wrong there, but I would definitely use different SSIDs for all bands and devices. i.e. Router24, Router5, AP24 and AP5. Make sure that all devices are on different channels, i.e. channel 1, channel 11, channel 36 and channel 44.

Then forget any network profiles on your clients and reconnect to the best device/band. 5GHz will usually give you higher throughput than 2.4GHz.

What channel bandwidth are you using on both Asus's?

PS Don't use channels 12 or 13 because in my experience the Fire TV Stick can't see them.

Thanks for the suggestions, here are the results:-

ASUS0 65.13d/12.43u Mbps - Router 2.4 Ghz
ASUS1 182.98d/12.42u Mbps - Router 5 Ghz
ASUS2 15.75d/12.19u Mbps - AP 2.4 Ghz
ASUS3 18.41d/12.03u Mbps - AP 5 Ghz

moved the AP next to ROUTER and connected with 1M flat SONOS network cable:-

ASUS0 77.74d/12.40u Mbps - Router 2.4 Ghz
ASUS1 211.12d/12.35u Mbps - Router 5 Ghz
ASUS2 32.78d/12.48u Mbps - AP 2.4 Ghz
ASUS3 214.09d/12.42u Mbps - AP 5 Ghz

all tests done with SPEEDTEST App on iPad Pro?

So I'm guessing the 15M (narrow) flat cable I have connecting the Router & AP isn't that good? and iPad prefers 5Ghz signal?

so changed the SSID on both Router to ASUS and on Access Point to ASUS AP:-

ASUS - 206.96d/12.36u Mbps
ASUS AP - 211.25d/12.36u Mbps (1 m cable between devices)
ASUS AP - 18.33d/11.90u Mbps (15M cable between devices)

I'm a bit gutted because I just received a 20M cable to put AP in the loft?

Thanks again for suggestions, enjoy the rest of your weekend...

It does sound like there is a cable problem. It could be the connectors or the cable itself. Alternatively, if the cable is running alongside a mains power cable that might cause issues.

Do you have a laptop with an Ethernet socket that you can plug into the AP end of the cable, to eliminate the AP entirely from the equation?

Why not try using the second one in Repeater Mode? I did that with couple of my N66U along with TM-AC1900 & AC68U that was converted from TM-AC1900 for total of 4 routers. I used the same SSID on all routers but played with Roaming Assistant setting to force the client to switch if signal was under certain levels.

Thanks, both...

There was a problem with the cable, it wasn't quite long enough so tagged 3 cables together with RJ45 female-female connectors...

Now I've moved the router 1M away from modem and put a single (standard / round) cable between router and access point get over 2ooMbps from both (on 5g - with iPad) neither router or AP 2.4 is much good (well between 30 & 60 Mbps).

So looks like problem solved, thanks again for help / suggestions, have a good day... Joe...

Im using the almost same setup, SH1 (not SH3, more of that in a minute) in modem only mode, originally i was using an N66 but i needed more range at the far reaches of my property for one of my wireless ip cameras, ie outside of my property in my shed looking back at my house (mains network/ethernet not an option).
So i bought myself an AC68, that is now my main router,( router 1), my N66 (router 2) is now the wireless repeater in the shed.
Router 2 is "grabbing hold" of the 5GHZ from router 1, router 2 is then broadcasting it's own 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands with different SSID.
If i stand near router 2 connect to it's 5ghz band, do a speedtest, i get 40 down and 6 up, that's plenty for the 1 ip camera there.
If i go back into the house, connect wirelessly to router 1 i get 110/6. I'm paying for 100/6.
I've had no problems with this setup.
Both routers are using Merlins 380.62 firmware.

Ok onto the SH3, i'm getting one delivered tomorrow as SH1 will only do 100/6 ish, however i'm reading online of people having problems with the SH3 in modem only mode so now i'm considering staying with SH1, ie if it ain't broke etc.
Few links below

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/un...outs-with-super-hub-3-in-modem-only-mode.html

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ffecting-virgin-media-superhub-3-routers.html

Paul.