What's new

ASUS RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neverless

New Around Here
Im having an issue with my ASUS RT-N66U. with network dropping or it could be signal. I have tried firmware update and reboot and a DNS change.
I also tried a hard reboot and the network stayed stable for about a day. Now it will drop every five mins. it will come right back then drop again.
Here is what the log is saying:

Mar 23 20:14:29 rc_service: ntp 431:notify_rc restart_upnp
Mar 23 20:14:29 miniupnpd[436]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Mar 23 20:14:29 miniupnpd[443]: HTTP listening on port 47296
Mar 23 20:14:29 miniupnpd[443]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Mar 23 20:14:30 rc_service: ntp 431:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Mar 23 20:14:30 disk_monitor: Finish
Mar 23 20:14:30 disk monitor: be idle
Mar 23 20:14:54 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Mar 23 20:15:13 crond[245]: time disparity of 340035 minutes detected

Thanks for your time,

During normal everyday use network stops. Have a 3 desktops and 3 Ipads connected to it. If you watch the SSID as you are connected to it it will just disappear. Then a few seconds later will re appear. If you watch the router itself it does not seem to reboot. All flashing lights remain the same.
I do not have a hard line to the router to test the ping and without the SSID not being there to connect to it cannot test it.
I did try and do a factory reset and reprogrammed all access. After a days of use the WiFi signal started to fail again. Every pc connect to it see the same thing. I want to say it's like the wifi signal is being sent out in waves or pulses.
If it was just the Internet I know I would still be connected to the router but no Internet connection.
Thanks.

I have seen similar behaviour with 5GHz wifi when using the higher range of channel Nos. I assume it is due to regulatory action in the "DFS" range, sometimes got log messages about 'radar detection'.
If not just wifi it could be the router crashing and rebooting, possibly overheating?

I was able to look at the temp on the router and it's telling me it is at 128 f. If this is not normal let me know and I guess I need to buy a new one.
I'm running on 2.8Hz on channel 7.

My N66 temps are 124 °F - 126 °F. Channel 7 is in the middle of 2.4GHz range, have you checked using a PC or mobile app what is the least congested channel? You actually need to be at least 3 channels away to avoid any interference, I personally hate auto channel assignment - I have seen a neighbours router continually following changes always trying to move next to one I was using.

Are you able to get the router web interface at 192.168.1.1? How about your modem web interface? Without more specifics, it just sounds like you are getting interference from a neigboring network or other home hardware such as cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc. Ethernet cables are pretty cheap...get yourself one and connect a PC direct to the router and see if you can get internet that way. You probably have some sort of a internet modem feeding the router...can you bypass the router and connect?

128 F ~ 53.3 C...nothing to be concerned over. It is well within operating range for semiconductors.

Last edited: