What's new

Asus support told me to reset my DSL-AC68U 3 times in a row

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keefy

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone else been asked to use the reset button on the back of the router 3 times in a row?

This seemed like a very strange request to me. Is it just a case of.....To be sure, to be sure, to be sure! or is there some technical reason why the second and third reset does something more than the first one?

The issue was that an AiMesh node wouldn't connect. I fixed it on my own before I got an email back.

My issue has been escalated to level 2. I asked the support person via email about the triple reset but the answer I thought was quite generic.

"To reset the router 3 times helps to refresh the router system in order for the device to at least get any sort of internet connection.
If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be more than happy to assist you.
Thank you,
B****"

So I wrote back asking for more details. I am yet to get an answer.

I just feel like their answer to all issues is blow away the Firmware and see if it works. I asked them if there was a way to backup my settings and they said no, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect?

I just feel like their answer to all issues is blow away the Firmware and see if it works. I asked them if there was a way to backup my settings and they said no, which I'm pretty sure is incorrect?

They can't presume to know what you've done or what has happened to the router settings and/or what condition they are in, so the simple and first thing to do is to start over. And, restoring old settings would not be starting over.

As for three resets, can't hurt.

See this FAQ about resetting firmware.

OE

I have now asked the support guy on, 3 separate occasions via email :p, what happens to the router on the 2nd and 3rd reset over and above the 1st. On his 2nd and 3rd answer he told me no more info on the issue than the first hehe.

Last edited:
My take on why doing multiple iterations of the same or similar actions seems to fix things sometimes is that while the theory is sound on what 'should work', these mass-produced widgets made from mass-produced parts don't always line up on the same side of the + or - side of the fault tolerances. Particularly with the low-quality and low-quantity nand chips used.

Doing the required steps multiple times helps to potentially 'unstick' any stuck bits.

While I can't offer any scientific analysis for the above, I have saved many customers many thousands of dollars for them by not having them to buy another router just because it went 'crazy' on them and didn't seem to respond normally 'all of a sudden'. Sure, not all were saved, but spending a few minutes following the steps below was well worth it for many more units than for the few that weren't responsive at all.

Reactions: KW.
L&LD, I actually agree and will jump through those hoops next time. Its just strange that ASUS will not give me a straight answer, or even one like yours.

The original issue of an aimesh node not joining was fixed by sleeping on it and trying again in the morning :)

Asus must be using really crappy components. The customers need to do the same thing 3 times in order to make them work. Good to know. ;)

Not every customer needs to do that. Only ones with issues. Everyone else also uses the same crappy components too. A tenth of a penny saved is a cool $M+ to the bottom line (for each of them).

As usual, your conclusions are off when just the facts are considered.

As usual, your conclusions are off when just the facts are considered.

I never had to reset a router/switch 3 times in a row in my 20 years of IT practice. I never hat to reset anything 3 times in a row. We call this a "faulty equipment" and replace it. We means 4 different IT companies. This way we don't have to drive 100 miles back to fix something again. I don't know what "facts" are you talking about. I'm sorry.

We can agree to disagree, but your statement was not "facts" it was your "opinion".

Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Well the number 3 is prominent in all major holy books, maybe not all... I had a little but annoying problem on my router, the VPN did not auto start after reboot. So i tried some stuffs, checked some logs and it didn't help. I did a last reboot after I accepted that I will have to manually start my vpn. At the last reboot the settings was exactly as when its not been working. What happend that third reboot, VPN auto connected. So yea, I think even technology can work in strange ways sometimes:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!