What's new

Asus vs DDWRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jebise

Occasional Visitor
I'm thinking of picking up a AC router and wondering if the Asus ones will fit my needs?

I need one that supports ddwrt or will the merlin firmware allow similar functionality?

What I need:
Ability to run custom scripts
Good wifi range on both 2.4/5GHz
Gigabit LAN
Guest mode (control SSID, encryption, lease time)
Ability to set up as a wireless AP with guest mode as well (previous dlink would not work with a guest ssid coz I was not using the WAN port)

asuswrt-merlin if you want it all, pretty much

so Asuswrt-merlin will be able to do everything I stated above?

Custom scripts (mainly shell) is very important and if it can do that I would suspect everything else will be there as well. I have a few media streamers that once are turned on also wake up my media server. This script runs on my DDWRT router and anytime the router sees these connected it will send a WOL packet to my server.

How good is the wifi range on the AC56U? If i bought this I would like to replace my main router with it. The main router (Netgear WNDR3700) is in a corner in the basement and I barely get a signal on the second floor bedrooms on the other side of the house.

Last edited:
You may want to read my post with RMerlin 374.38_1 (since upgraded to _2) on an RT-AC56U.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showpost.php?p=99500&postcount=365

My results won't predict what results you'll get at your location. But it does (still) impress me that such a sleek/compact (no external antenna) unit could pack such a punch.

No doubt the RT-AC68U is superior with the external antenna - but when I replaced my Netgear WNDR3700 with an RT-N66U, the upgrade was mind blowing and the RT-AC56U is a step above the RT-N66U from the few times I've been able to use it (not mine; customer's equipment).

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/76-total-simul

When viewing the link above, keep in mind that the RT-AC56U firmware version was essentially '1'.

374.38_2 is a few light-years more advanced (in a mere 3 months). :)

At the current sale price of $99 until the 27th - this may be the most powerful router for the money right now (the RT-AC68U is twice the price but only offers an extra stream/antenna (3 external in total) with the same firmware, SoC and radios).

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=13805

It seems like it will be a vast improvement, as long as the single reaches the bedroom up stairs I will be happy. I guess I'll just have to order and see.

I just need to find it around $100 in Canada.

Last edited:
The price does seem stuck at around ~$130 on the low end in Canada and closer to $140 almost everywhere.

Make sure you get no charge returns to try it for a few days. memoryexpress.com also does a price beat by 25% if you do find it cheaper elsewhere in Canada.