What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC3-3 public beta for IPv6 DDNS and IPv6 VPN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For the love of all things digital, please, pretty please, somebody at Asus start answering some of the questions in these beta threads! You have chosen to post your betas to a *forum* after all…

I myself am confused about the update cycle and when to expect a GM. Also what’s the roadmap features for this release? IPv6 (all over), WireGuard (server and multiple vpn), and dns filter (by another name)?

I appreciate your frustration, but I don't think what you wish for is in the cards. In my few years here, there are some responses but mostly this remains a user forum with a special touch by Asuswrt-Merlin. I'm ok with this since it's better than nothing and not as bad as a company forum. I feel it is too easy to say too much so it can be better to say less... for the company and for its customers/users. The difference is that for us anonymous participants, it doesn't really matter much what we post since we have little skin in the game.

However, I suggest it is in our best interests to make this community as open and as productive a place to participate for everyone including ASUS. So, posting here to vent and harm ASUS in particular does not serve anyone (instead, just yell at your dog).

By my observation, the update cycle has been in months, give or take some and subject to the class of product, pandemics, geopolitical bullies, etc.

OE

I appreciate your frustration, but I don't think what you wish for is in the cards. In my few years here, there are some responses but mostly this remains a user forum with a special touch by Asuswrt-Merlin. I'm ok with this since it's better than nothing and not as bad as a company forum. I feel it is too easy to say too much so it can be better to say less... for the company and for its customers/users. The difference is that for us anonymous participants, it doesn't really matter much what we post since we have little skin in the game.

However, I suggest it is in our best interests to make this community as open and as productive a place to participate for everyone including ASUS. So, posting here to vent and harm ASUS in particular does not serve anyone (instead, just yell at your dog).

By my observation, the update cycle has been in months, give or take some and subject to the class of product, pandemics, geopolitical bullies, etc.

OE
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I’m certainly not out to vent against or harm Asus, rather I think I have seen them respond to some replies/comments, and just wanted to point out how inconsistently. In a way that got attention. Also to be honest about how frustrating it is not knowing whether to switch to the stable branch of the firmware because of the unknown amount of time until next beta/RC release. I love to test and give feedback, but when my typical usage has been tested thoroughly and something central isn’t working, I’m not married to the release. But it’s not entirely pain-free changing back and forth anyway.

I get the whole anxious corporate PR thing so I just wish they’d be clear about either only posting beta files and wanting one-way communication concerning bugs, or that they are indeed “members” and also lurking on the forums and may respond to relevant posts/replies.

But I can keep living my life as the same cynic if they do neither :) I still highly appreciate this forum, and the featurefullness and hackability of Asus routers.

I’m certainly not out to vent against or harm Asus

Understood... your posts are well-considered. I need to phrase generalizations without the using the word 'you' since it (and my intellectual laziness) can misdirect my meaning. :)

OE

Wow, a rational discourse between two adults, on an internet forum??? What is happening? What's next, unicorns with solid gold horns roaming in the streets?

Sorry for the off topic post, but the calm exchange of ideas did have to be noted.

trying out tonight on zenwifi x8. 1 main. 1 node. So far everything looks solid. Internet speed is still as good as in the past (about 890).

I need to check if this fixes the dropping nest and IOT devices issue. Right now, I've resolved that by connecting them to guest networks. I have no idea why, but that stopped them from dropping wifi connnections about 1x a dya.

This firmware RT-AX88U the ddns dynamic is not working

Nov 22 20:03:12 start_ddns: eth0 has not yet obtained an ipv6 address

and i have ipv6 ative and working but thhe ddns dynamic not update the ipv6 and ipv4
I test another firmware (578XX) and the ddns no ip is working but not update the ipv6, only update ipv4

The only hiccup I've experienced over the past couple of days was with a node. On the main unit, it instructed to reboot it once I upgraded to the Beta. On the node, it did not, so I did not. That led to some video conferencing drops. Once I rebooted it, things seem to be solid. zeinwifi x8.

I'm running the RC3-3 on my ET8 pair. Today I find that my wired xbox one no longer receives an IP from DHCP. I've rebooted the xbox and router and still the same. Why would this break out of the blue after days of stability?

Hello guys!
New to Asus routers and decided to go for AX55 to use full VPN potential of beta firmware posted here.
I was able to initiate connection with remote WireGuard server, but for some reason device (testing on mobile phone) fails to load pages. Maybe you could advise what might be wrong with my configuration? Especially Wireguard server tab confuses me a little bit. My guess is that WG client setting should be enabled, but in fact it doesn't help. Syslog shows as follow:

Dec 15 10:14:05 rc_service: httpd 1256:notify_rc restart_vpnc

Thanks in advance!
Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 10.02.37.png

Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 10.04.58.png

Oh,my.. Answering my own post above. As discovered, VPN connection settings are not related from WireGuard server tab.
My mistake was that I have used local device address, but not internal ip address of remote server (info that you can get by running ifconfig on initiated connection), so I have successfully managed to connect.
Without vpn I was getting 400/400. With Wireguard enabled for particular device - 250/250

Many thanks for your efforts!

I'm running the RC3-3 on my ET8 pair. Today I find that my wired xbox one no longer receives an IP from DHCP. I've rebooted the xbox and router and still the same. Why would this break out of the blue after days of stability?
That is odd. In past builds, I've had some problems with IOT devices staying connected, until I put them on a guest network. I don't have any devices, however, that were totally unable to get an IP address. Is there any possiblity that something has changed with the XBOX, such as a firmware update?

That is odd. In past builds, I've had some problems with IOT devices staying connected, until I put them on a guest network. I don't have any devices, however, that were totally unable to get an IP address. Is there any possiblity that something has changed with the XBOX, such as a firmware update?
Possible - it updates at night. I _unplugged_ ET8 base station and xbox for several minutes, then tried again and sanity returned. I think something happened that caused it to consider the port as unstable and it would shut it down. If I swapped ports, the other would "die" also. Reminds me of my MacBook when a USB device is "flickering" - it sees this pattern and shuts the port down until reboot. Anyway, back to stable and far better than the production firmware aside from this blip.

I realized the dual wan mode when it's set to load balance the router become very poor.

1. Can we have an option when creating a VPN client to pick which WAN unit we are going to connect.
2. In VPN connection we have a great feature that allows us to choose which devices will use each client, it will be awesome if we have the same friendly option device list for load balance because the routing rules it's too complicated and limited to 32 devices.

ON AX55 after reserving ip address for particular mac address, have lost connection to router interface.
HTTPS was never enabled..
* Trying 192.168.50.1:80...
* connect to 192.168.50.1 port 80 failed: Connection refused
* Failed to connect to 192.168.50.1 port 80: Connection refused
* Closing connection 0
curl: (7) Failed to connect to 192.168.50.1 port 80: Connection refused

It's almost 1 month and I am wondering when next beta will drop because current beta did absolutely nothing with IPv6 for me. I have sent logs as per @ASUSWRT_2020 and I hope it has helped them to figure out why no IPv6 is getting assigned to my RT-AX88U.

trying out tonight on zenwifi x8. 1 main. 1 node. So far everything looks solid. Internet speed is still as good as in the past (about 890).

I need to check if this fixes the dropping nest and IOT devices issue. Right now, I've resolved that by connecting them to guest networks. I have no idea why, but that stopped them from dropping wifi connnections about 1x a dya.
Please keep us posted on the Nest issue with the ZenWiFi XT8. I too have noticed the latest release firmware version of 3.0.0.4.386.45934 was dropping my Nest Smart Thermostat 3rd Gen every-so-often (every few days). So, as a test I bound the Nest Smart Thermostat to my main RT-AX89X router which is a little bit further away on the first floor (thermostat on the 2nd floor). Solar, no disconnect on the Nest (knock on wood / head). A few days ago, I too updated ONE XT8 nodes (out of the 2) to this 9.0.0.4_386_57317 RC3 public beta, keeping the other XT8 node with the 3.0.0.4.386.45934 release firmware and have yet to unbound the Nest thermostat to my main router to test since it's working now but will want to test out that theory at some point in time. Currently, I'm using the Asus RT-AX89X as my main router and both XT8 as AiMesh nodes (one in living room and the other in bedroom).

Strange thing happened with me. 2 days ago tefal vacuum robot stopped to initiate connection with web. by excluding different scenarious I came to conclusion that cause of this is DoT being enabled. Tryed to change dns servers - no luck. Tried switch from strict to opportunistic profile - no luck. I have purchased AX55 recently, but it has worked for 2 weeks with DoT enabled and strict option. Router restart doesn't help. By having DoT I am even not able to register robot to cloud from iOS app. Any idea where to dig further ?

Last edited:
Strange thing happened with me. 2 days ago tefal vacuum robot stopped to initiate connection with web. by excluding different scenarious I came to conclusion that cause of this is DoT being enabled. Tryed to change dns servers - no luck. Tried switch from strict to opportunistic profile - no luck. I have purchased AX55 recently, but it has worked for 2 weeks with DoT enabled and strict option. Router restart doesn't help. By having DoT I am even not able to register robot to cloud from iOS app. Any idea where to dig further ?

You could disable/not use DoT.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!