What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 1 available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No way the upgrade would have caused the issue I am seeing? Perhaps it somewhere on my end then. I am also seeing disconnections even with 3 bars (i.e. connected but no internet so basically DCed). Happened to another one of our laptop as well. Desktop (wired) is fine.

Maybe I will try to reset the router later.

I would be surprised, unless it was something that Asus changed in the interface init code between 372 and 374.

I would recheck your router settings just in case before trying anything else. Your router might have switched to a different channel if it was previously set to Auto.

Anyway, I will be ditching that old driver in the near future, and switching to the newer SDK6 driver. That driver resolves the vast majority of reported issues.

Go to the Tools -> Sysinfo page, and make sure it shows HW acceleration as being enabled. If not, it will tell you which feature is causing HW acceleration to be disabled.

Thanks for your reply Merlin.

HW accel is on. Is there anything else to try? Just another information. If I plug the modem directly to my pc and configure the vlan10 I get 200|80.

thanks

Copy the /www files somewhere (USB disk, for example), then mount bind on top of it:

Code:
mount -o bind /mnt/USBDISK/www /www
service restart_httpd

That will make httpd start using the files from the www folder on your USB disk. That's how I usually work when doing some webui development.

It also seems to work for /sbin and /bin ... this is cool for debugging as it does not require to build a complete flash image and do a reflash !!!

Supercool this tip!

Sounds like you are running out of memory. Are you using the Media Server or Download Manager?

Check memory usage from processes, free memory, and /tmp usage:

Code:
ps w
free -m
df -h

Hello Eric,

Not at all, I haven't seen any big usage of memory, here's the output:

admin@Jupiter:/tmp# uptime
19:48:53 up 4 days, 20:22, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
admin@Jupiter:/tmp# free -m
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 239660 161212 78448 0 76420
-/+ buffers: 84792 154868
Swap: 0 0 0

admin@Jupiter:/tmp# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 25.3M 25.3M 0 100% /
tmpfs 117.0M 2.4M 114.6M 2% /tmp
devfs 117.0M 0 117.0M 0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock5 32.0M 1.2M 30.8M 4% /jffs
/dev/sda1 7.4G 178.7M 6.9G 2% /tmp/mnt/sda1
admin@Jupiter:/tmp# ps w
PID USER VSZ STAT COMMAND
1 admin 2600 S /sbin/init
2 admin 0 SW< [kthreadd]
3 admin 0 SWN [ksoftirqd/0]
4 admin 0 SW< [events/0]
5 admin 0 SW< [khelper]
20 admin 0 SW< [kblockd/0]
51 admin 0 SW [pdflush]
52 admin 0 SW [pdflush]
53 admin 0 SW< [kswapd0]
54 admin 0 SW< [aio/0]
98 admin 0 SW< [mtdblockd]
121 admin 0 SW< [kmmcd]
125 admin 640 S hotplug2 --persistent --no-coldplug
157 admin 2392 S console
158 admin 1428 S /bin/sh
167 admin 0 SWN [jffs2_gcd_mtd5]
169 admin 1420 S syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l 7 -R 192.168.90.155:514 -L
171 admin 1420 S /sbin/klogd
173 admin 0 SW< [khubd]
277 admin 0 SW< [scsi_eh_0]
278 admin 0 SW< [usb-storage]
309 admin 2400 S /sbin/wanduck
317 admin 1424 R telnetd
320 admin 1088 S /bin/eapd
323 admin 2400 S wpsaide
325 admin 1632 S nas
326 admin 4044 S httpd
328 admin 1432 S crond
329 admin 1068 S /usr/sbin/infosvr br0
330 admin 1076 S networkmap
332 admin 2400 S watchdog
333 admin 2400 S ots
336 admin 1276 S rstats
365 admin 1104 S lld2d br0
458 admin 1152 S /usr/sbin/acsd
486 nobody 1064 S dnsmasq --log-async
489 admin 644 S pptpd -c /tmp/pptpd/pptpd.conf -o /tmp/pptpd/options.pptpd
610 admin 3944 S /etc/openvpn/vpnserver1 --cd /etc/openvpn/server1 --config config.ovpn
613 admin 2092 S u2ec
615 admin 1160 S lpd
625 admin 2092 S u2ec
626 admin 2092 S u2ec
663 admin 0 SW< [kjournald]
703 admin 2376 S nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
713 admin 3240 S smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
718 admin 2400 S ntp
726 admin 792 S miniupnpd -f /etc/upnp/config
744 admin 1904 S dnscrypt-proxy --local-address=127.0.0.1:65053 --daemonize
895 admin 1448 S -sh
29340 admin 54288 S privoxy /opt/etc/privoxy/config
31470 admin 1424 R ps w
admin@Jupiter:/tmp#

On my mac at home, my 5 year old has an account (she has to log in) and i just turn on all parental controls there. Her time is limited each day, and the websites she can visit is limited.

Keeping your kids safe with macs is easy.

Sorry I should have said most desktops have good solutions for family friendliness. But not on iPads. You'd need to jailbreak your device in order to limited access to apps and I'm not even sure there's a time control/usage app. I can understand the reason why 3rd parties can't write these sorts of apps which is why Apple needs to.

It's all too easy and tempting to start watching minecraft videos just before bed or when waking up "cos they can't sleep" type deal. With the router I can effectively time restrict based on device and do some basic web filtering to the point when the device becomes 'uninteresting'... so very pleased.

Anyway you're right of course Macs have great family stuff built in just a shame Apple does lead this space on the pads given that they're the only ones who can put it in place on iOS.

~Steph

It also seems to work for /sbin and /bin ... this is cool for debugging as it does not require to build a complete flash image and do a reflash !!!

Supercool this tip!

You can mount bind a specific file too. I often do it with daemons such as httpd if I need to test something.

Hello Eric,

Not at all, I haven't seen any big usage of memory, here's the output:

Try that when the router has been running for a while.

I also noticed you are running some Entware/Optware services. Make sure they aren't potentially filling you memory as well.

Thanks for your reply Merlin.

HW accel is on. Is there anything else to try? Just another information. If I plug the modem directly to my pc and configure the vlan10 I get 200|80.

thanks

Try turning the modem off for 10 mins to fully reset its connection with the ISP. This is especially important when moving a cablemodem back and forth between a router and a PC.

Online video and games is laggy on your last beta firmware, and ping to router via Ethernet jumps upto 9ms. Merlin PLEASE fix that... optimisation mips32r2 means nothing with this lags for me. Official firmware have no this issue. Why you cant fix that if on official firmware problem solved has long ??? :confused:

With respect to your work.

Online video and games is laggy on your last beta firmware, and ping to router via Ethernet jumps upto 9ms. Merlin PLEASE fix that... optimisation mips32r2 means nothing with this lags for me. Official firmware have no this issue. Why you cant fix that if on official firmware problem solved has long ??? :confused:

With respect to your work.

Hi,

With respect. Merlin does an excellent job.
If you want help, first provide at least SOME information what setup you have and which official firmware you are comparing his latest BETA to (not the uppercase in BETA).

At this point at best one can assume you have an ASUS router which is also compatible with Merlins firmware, even Sherlock Holmes would struggle to deduct anything further.

To make it clear what is required:
Model router
Other (official firmware) you tried
Network settings (hardware acceleratrion, jumboframes, IP V6?..)
Steps you have take (factorory reset and manual re-entry after router flash)
Deletion of wireless profiles?
Client (OS, netwrok hardware, driver version)
Network setup (switches, bridges, ...)

Regards

It WAS fixed a few months ago:

Code:
C:\Users\Merlin>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

I have really old firmware and it's time to get the latest and the greatest!

I think I have to reset/restore the router (RT-AC66U) to it's defaults before upgrading. Do I just go to 'Administration' then click the 'Restore/Save/Upload Setting' tab then click Factory Default 'Restore' and that's it?

I've seen some mentioned of clearing VRAM or something like that on the router. Do I need to do this and if so, where is it located in the router settings?

Anything else required before the upgrade?

to nubyOz:
Merlin know what about i... issue appears in ASUS 37x beta firmwares only on AC66U and fixed in release and by now any ASUS firmware works fine.

My config:

RT-AC66U Rev. A1
Latest Merlin's firmware Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 1
All setting by default.
Whithout any workload.
Ping -t 192.168.1.1 through Ethernet

to Merlin:
Only four pings ? Yea if i do similar sometimes its looks how like you, but please try -t ping and look.

Last edited:
to Merlin:
Only four pings ? Yea if i do similar sometimes its looks how like you, but please try -t ping and look.

If you have random latency spikes then check your cabling. The latency issue was showing on every packet, with a random latency between 2ms and 10ms. That issue is definitely fixed in the FW. The kernel option that was causing it has been changed.

I have really old firmware and it's time to get the latest and the greatest!

I think I have to reset/restore the router (RT-AC66U) to it's defaults before upgrading. Do I just go to 'Administration' then click the 'Restore/Save/Upload Setting' tab then click Factory Default 'Restore' and that's it?

I've seen some mentioned of clearing VRAM or something like that on the router. Do I need to do this and if so, where is it located in the router settings?

Anything else required before the upgrade?

Resetting to factory defaults is the same as clearing nvram.

Try first without doing that (unless your FW is really old), it might not be necessary on the RT-AC66U.

Skynet
What version ASUS firmware fixes it? Also realize Merlin does not get the updated source immediately... And BTW you really should be a lot friendlier and more descriptive in how your device is configured and such...

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4

Skynet
What version ASUS firmware fixes it? Also realize Merlin does not get the updated source immediately... And BTW you really should be a lot friendlier and more descriptive in how your device is configured and such...

Asus resolved the issue with FW 3.0.0.4.372. It was a kernel option that had to be flipped to resolve the issue. All my releases based on the final 372 (not those that were based on the pre-release 372) have had the fix in place.

EDIT: I just sent 99 packets. Every single one came back with a latency < 1ms:

Code:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 99, Received = 99, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Last edited:
Merlin when you released the first firmware after ASUS correcting issue started to work like ASUS official, but then you have done is rolled back for N66u wireless drivers(as i remember 3.0.0.4.372.30 (5-July-2013)) and then started these lags that has been continued ever since. All my cables is fine. On official firmware i not have this issue. It's sad really ... :(:(:( These lags/pings may not appear immediately but after router work enough.

Last edited:
hello,

With the new aicloud i noticed that when i try to listen music the selected song for an album will be played on loop. On the old aicloud it would play all songs within that folder. Is this the new design of aicloud or is just a bug ?

I installed the beta on my AC56U - upgrading from 374.32.

The upgrade went fine but my 802.11g performance was odd, so I went back to 374.32 and am not getting the same issue.

I was in a web browser on a tablet going through multiple pages in a forum. about every 4th page, the browser would become unresponsive. If I opened a new tab and tried a different site, I couldn't get to any other site either. It behaved like the internet connection was down or I couldn't communicate with the router over 802.11g. Usually after 20-40 seconds it would start working again. When I went back to 374.32, I didn't have the problem the rest of the day.

Do I need to nvram the router after upgrading from 374.32 to 374.33b?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!