What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i am using an RT-AC66R with 3.0.0.4.270.24 fw and i am trying to upgrade it but it keeps getting errors and not upgrading. i have restored factory defaults and this still doesnt work. help please.

Try upgrading to official firmware first and then Merlin's.

Steath Mode
I create on /jffs/scripts

ledsoff.sh:

#!/bin/sh
nvram set led_disable=1
service restart_leds

ledson.sh:

#!/bin/sh
nvram set led_disable=0
service restart_leds

and in /jffs/

services-start:

#!/bin/sh
cru a lightsoff "0 22 * * * /jffs/scripts/ledsoff.sh"
cru a lightson "0 8 * * * /jffs/scripts/ledson.sh"

and after restart afetr type

cru l
i dont see anything.
When manual run scripts ledson and ledsoff this works perfect. On my old RT-AC66U alle works OK but on RT-AC68U didnt work.

services-start must be located in /jffs/scripts/ .

Rmerlin:

I see a file for the N66U uploaded a few hours ago on your mediafire:

RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.38_1

Is this good/safe to use? I am currently on 3.0.0.4.374.34_2

Yes, I just didn't have time this afternoon to compile the EM build, upload it and post announcements. I just uploaded that last build.

Those are good speeds at that distance. Looks like the new SDK6 with Merlin's EM switch brings back the SDK5 range. Next week I'll see if the plain .38 has the same range but from my first impression of it, it's inferior to this one. I'm curious, maybe Merlin can share the switch he employed with the em version.

I will, once I get enough feedback to reach a conclusion.

Thanks for the detailed test results - much appreciated!

I didn't find much difference between 374.38.0_em and 374.38.0 in my testing today. My n66u is in a back corner on the ground floor of our house. I tested in the opposite front corner on the second floor, 60+ feet away.

38.0_em:
2.4GHz:
RSSI: -54

5GHz:
RSSI -73

38.0:
2.4GHz:
RSSI: -52

5GHz:
RSSI: -72

I used the same channels and bandwidth for both tests: Channel 6, 20MHz for 2.4; Auto, 20/40MHz for 5.

I live on a rural road with no other routers within my range. The only interference comes sometimes from an ISP whose 2.4GHz signal broadcasts on Channel 1.

Last edited:
374.38_1 was uploaded for the N66 (regular and EM builds) and AC66U now. On these two routers the only change is the Tools -> Run Cmd page that was fixed.

I see a few USB-related issues being reported. Wish I had anything to test it with... I know however that Asus was still working on the USB code, so we might need to wait until their next GPL release to see if the updated code will take care of these issues.

Hi Merlin,

Thank you for the good work.
Got some wireless issues with the RT-AC66U.
Did the update from 37-oldusb
5GHZ was not visible anymore and 2.4 GHZ was not stable.
Did a reset with the 30/30/30

Afterwards 5GHZ was visible again. However still both bands not stable.
Are more people experiencing the same issues.

Now back on 35-4 which is stable again for me.

My normal settings:
2.4 GHZ
20 mhz
channel 6
wireless mode auto

5GHZ
40 mhz
channel auto
wireless mode N+AC
regulation d+h to have it working on my mac

Hi I have the same router and same problem. I activated the 5Ghz radio, but does not appear in the list of connections of my computers.

I try factory reset, but nothing.
I turn off and on the radio, but nothing.
I try 374.38_1 but doesn't work.
I think to downgrade. :(

LOG

Code:
Jan 12 20:02:00 rc_service: httpd 311:notify_rc set_wltxpower;restart_wireless
Jan 12 20:02:03 kernel: device eth1 left promiscuous mode
Jan 12 20:02:03 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering disabled state
Jan 12 20:02:03 kernel: device eth2 left promiscuous mode
Jan 12 20:02:03 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering disabled state
Jan 12 20:02:03 kernel: device wl0.1 left promiscuous mode
Jan 12 20:02:03 kernel: br0: port 4(wl0.1) entering disabled state
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: wl_module_init: passivemode set to 0x0
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: eth1: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: eth2: Broadcom BCM4360 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: device eth1 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering listening state
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: wlc_phy_cal_init_acphy: NOT Implemented
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering learning state
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering forwarding state
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: device eth2 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering listening state
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering learning state
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: device wl0.1 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: port 4(wl0.1) entering listening state
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering forwarding state
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: port 4(wl0.1) entering learning state
Jan 12 20:02:06 kernel: br0: port 4(wl0.1) entering forwarding state

regards

Last edited:
Disregard this entry--replied in a later note that I don't think my issue is firmware related . .

Last edited:
so i have tried the factory reset then let settle 5 minutes and then unplug power 5 minutes then plug back in 5 minutes then upgrade to official FW and still cannot get this router to upgrade. could it be my browser? chrome is what i am using.

ok updated to 38_1 from 35_4sdk5 on the 66U so far its working fine i did notice a decrease in signal not huge though 35_4sdk5 was 42DB and the new build is at 50 db tested from android wifi analizer at about 50 feet through 2 walls. Not a huge drop but it did drop. I will try 38_1 EM tonight as well.

RT-N66U. Firmware:3.0.0.4.374.38_0-em

Confirming the em build range is at least as good as the old SDK5 builds. Possibly even slightly better; checking the maximum range with my cell phone outside my house allowed me to go at least 10 meters further than I ever did (2.4 GHz).

The result of comparison between em and previous non-em build (checking signal strength with inssider on a laptop behind two walls) is pretty much in line with the report by bluepoint on the second page of this thread.

Wirelessly everything still working fine - laptop with Intel 6300 wireless, Nokia phone, Kindle PaperWhite.

A possible bug regarding USB - on the Network Map page, under the printer icon it says "undefined undefined". Actually I don't remember what it said before, could be it's been like that all along and I never noticed. The usb printer plugged into the router works fine though, so it doesn't bother me at all.

374.38_1 was uploaded for the N66 (regular and EM builds) and AC66U now. On these two routers the only change is the Tools -> Run Cmd page that was fixed.

I see a few USB-related issues being reported. Wish I had anything to test it with... I know however that Asus was still working on the USB code, so we might need to wait until their next GPL release to see if the updated code will take care of these issues.

thank you, thank you. nothing to report. looking forward to hearing the details on the mysterious em build

ok updated to 38_1 from 35_4sdk5 on the 66U so far its working fine i did notice a decrease in signal not huge though 35_4sdk5 was 42DB and the new build is at 50 db tested from android wifi analizer at about 50 feet through 2 walls. Not a huge drop but it did drop. I will try 38_1 EM tonight as well.

Spoke to soon right after I posted the network went down had to reboot the router and modem to get the connection back. This is the first time for me a new firmware has done this. So as of now it seems unstable I wonder if the EM build will be the same.

I've pretty much kept up with every one of Merlin's builds. I was on 35_4 and just updated to 38.1.

I did not do a factory reset (AC66U)--I believe I was already on the new SDK?

My only notice is that my PC is reporting 144 Mpbs on the 5GHz channel instead of my typical 300.

Hard for me to know what this means practically (as I've learned these reported numbers don't often have much to do with reality) but it is a difference.

Disregard. I don't think it has anything to do with firmware. I did try latest factory firmware, but I also did a full reset--and got back to 300mbps. Not sure which did it (just as likely the reset). Even more confusing, it seems channel dependent. Even after the factory reset, I can pick channels on 5G that go down to 144 (even though they are clear).

So I don't know what it is.

I've pretty much kept up with every one of Merlin's builds. I was on 35_4 and just updated to 38.1.

I did not do a factory reset (AC66U)--I believe I was already on the new SDK?

My only notice is that my PC is reporting 144 Mpbs on the 5GHz channel instead of my typical 300.

Hard for me to know what this means practically (as I've learned these reported numbers don't often have much to do with reality) but it is a difference.

This new release featured a new sdk for Ac66u, a factory reset is in your best interest.

So I have my admin password saved, and when I copy it into the password dialog, it returns an incorrect password. When I type the same password in manually, it works fine. I've made sure there are no spaces in the end, etc. I also had trouble with ctrl+V using both firefox and IE. Any ideas what's going on?

No one knows why the latest build does this? I cannot copy paste at all within ASUSWRT. I've never had this problem before.

I will try the 38_1em build either today or tomorrow on my N66U since the results sound promising for the device.

Great work Merlin, I will post back soon.

Just tried the em build on my n66u, I had the 2.4ghz at 51 and now it is 42db sat on my laptop a room away and below the router. It is kicking out the same db as the WNDR4500 I have say 8 foot away with direct line of site.

woa!

the 5ghz side has gone from 65 to to 63 so no real change there, I am going through a solid engineering brick wall so the 5ghz does suffer