What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded without any issues, although for my AX68U these upgrades are becoming meaningless, only reason to upgrade are security patches (if present).
Install the latest firmware from asus and make a list of what's missing and what's broken in the GUI compared to merlin.

Yes indeed and you even replied iirc, thank you for that.
It is only the gt-ax6000 and 3004 FW tho. If I add up all the Asuswrt-Merlin (family and relatives) and business related (openwrt) routers I have deployed, we are talking about hundreds of routers and only this is the one I cannot get along with, makes me sad.

If I have to guess, I have some settings and with that in place the FW fails at purging the junk from the NAT tables or whatnot, but guessing is useless at the end.
I even replaced the unit with Amazon because I was thinking about hardware problem, but nope, it is the gt-ax6000.
I hope the nuking will help again.
Nuke fixed it. I do not know what breaks with dirty upgrade, but all good now at least.

Nuke fixed it. I do not know what breaks with dirty upgrade, but all good now at least.
It always does...and when it doesn't nuke AMTM and Entware too. That's the route I took.

Of note: OpenVPN now allows multiple sessions to use the 1 server generated client profile.

Hi Guys,

At first @RMerlin, thnx again for you wonderful job. Updating maintaining this firmware is realy great!

But for me .5 on my 2 ax88U's is terrible. Since I upgraded 8 have several realy strange issues. At first for 2 days there was no problem bet then...

1. After a reboot all functionaliteit was there but routers was in setup mode. Like its New. I could only proceed wit an old config.

2 most amtm features are broken.
2a usb is mostly unreadable
2b. EP Online repos are unreachable
2c. AG is corrupt after updating to latest Version it got removed....
2d. Skynet can't use read

I did a dirty upgrade and think I'll do a clean update with alle amtm addons but if feels strange.

Anybody with same experiance?

Hi Guys,

At first @RMerlin, thnx again for you wonderful job. Updating maintaining this firmware is realy great!

But for me .5 on my 2 ax88U's is terrible. Since I upgraded 8 have several realy strange issues. At first for 2 days there was no problem bet then...

1. After a reboot all functionaliteit was there but routers was in setup mode. Like its New. I could only proceed wit an old config.

I did a dirty upgrade and think I'll do a clean update with alle amtm addons but if feels strange.

AX86U here. No problem at all. You say you proceeded with an old config. Did you restore some old settings backup?

If you are having problems, do a hard reset and configure everything from scratch.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Yes...exactly...and it takes a lot for me to erase everything and start from scratch. I appreciate whomever it was that said don't even restore the JFFS. Once in place this revision is very cool and smooth running.

Even after "dirty" upgrade from 388.4 over all alphas to 388.5 smooth sailing with my setup.

I think time after time it´s better to have a "clean" setup with a full backup directly after first minimal setup a new version of merlin. So you can allways switch back very fast in case of emergency.

Last edited:
Went back to 3.0.0.6.102_21514 due to Wi-Fi issues with some phone clients. Intermittent disconnections while video calling.

Router is GT-AX6000
I thought it was only me with wifi issues after upgrading my RT-AX86U from v3004.388.4 to v3004.388.5, mobile devices with very slow speed or were unable to connect often, especially to 5GHz network. Reverted to v3004.388.4 and it's all good.

Hi Guys,

I did have an "experience" on my first attempt to upgrade, but I wound back, restored everything, then updated again (from 388.4). I haven't noticed any other ax88 users posting about problems, though I'm not watching like a hawk.
I'd check that the image file that you have is not corrupted by hashing against the checksum on the merlin site - standard operating procedure.

I thought it was only me with wifi issues after upgrading my RT-AX86U from v3004.388.4 to v3004.388.5, mobile devices with very slow speed or were unable to connect often, especially to 5GHz network. Reverted to v3004.388.4 and it's all good.
I had that same problem when I did a dirty upgrade, seems fixed now after I nuked it and reinstalled and nuked again.

Late seeing the release. Has anything changed from beta>release or can I leave on beta?

Apologies if this has been discussed already.

HB

I also have an RT-AX86U and completed the upgrade but in my case, with absolutely zero problems. There will be (must be...) other setup factors that we differ on / don't share e.g. ISP / Type Of ISP Connection / Configuration Of RT-AX86U itself / Choice of RT-AX86U Add-Ons being utilised etc. Surely, this must be the catalyst that's causing your problems?

The changes between these two firmware releases are clearly listed in the first post of this thread. It might be as small as just one of those changes, being incompatible with any one of the variables that we don't share, as opposed to it all being an issue with the v30004.388.5 firmware itself. Others have also posted with WiFI problems, but might they also be the same rhetorical cause? Just posting this from different perspective, but hope you can overcome your WiFi issues regardless.

Late seeing the release. Has anything changed from beta>release or can I leave on beta?

You can review the change log(s) for both the Beta and Final release to see if anything has changed between the two. Its possible RMerlin may not list some changes here, but one can check the source code repository (https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng) to see if there are any unmentioned changes.
Final Release change log on page 1: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-3004-388-5-is-now-available.87874/
Beta Release thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-3004-388-5-beta-is-now-available.87797/

Like already said many many times, first try Forgeting the network on the devices and then Reconnect...

Add me to the list, wifi drop-outs/slow speeds on a couple of devices since upgrading, seems to be 5GHz band as well.

HB
Not discussed, but mentioned. I fetched both firmwares, extracted the filesystems, and ran a "utility" I'd made to rifle through two directory structures and remove from the target any files which are bitwise the same as in the other. In the resultant "final" release there remained only a handful of binary files where the differences were compiled-in timestamps and/or text character strings (release info). I'm leaving mine on the beta and saving a memory erase/write cycle for later use.

Just curious? With the GT-AX6000, I can set the second USB device's speed to USB3 now on the "External USB disk status" pane, but the hardware is USB2 only on that port. Was it like that before with the previous FWs?

Just curious? With the GT-AX6000, I can set the second USB device's speed to USB3 now on the "External USB disk status" pane, but the hardware is USB2 only on that port. Was it like that before with the previous FWs?
Hardware for second port is USB 2.0: GT-AX6000 Tech Specs.

That is not the same thing. Your USB drive may only be USB 2. The actual port cannot be USB 3.0.

Looks like a glitch in the firmware.

Does a reboot of the router, via the GUI, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.