What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not the same thing. Your USB drive may only be USB 2. The actual port cannot be USB 3.0.

Looks like a glitch in the firmware.

Does a reboot of the router, via the GUI, help?
Nope, reboot does not help and I do not remember that option being there for the second port, but I'm not sure, that is why I asked.

That is not the same thing. Your USB drive may only be USB 2. The actual port cannot be USB 3.0.

Looks like a glitch in the firmware.

Does a reboot of the router, via the GUI, help?
Not a glitch. That router has a USB2 and USB3.2 port.

I'm confused about the replies here. Are you all saying that the option was there on the USB2 port as well? Anyways, I set it to USB2, it is really not that important, I just do not recall seeing it for that port (only for the USB3 one). Never mind, lets drop it.

I'm confused about the replies here. Are you all saying that the option was there on the USB2 port as well? Anyways, I set it to USB2, it is really not that important, I just do not recall seeing it for that port (only for the USB3 one). Never mind, lets drop it.
It helps others to post a screen capture (see below) of what you are seeing or talking about. On a RT-AX86U Pro running this firmware the USB 2.0 port's External USB Disk Status pane's USB Mode defaulted to USB 3.0. The dropdown box option for USB Mode offers either USB 3.0 or USB 2.0. Could simply be a firmware bug that allows the USB 2.0 port to have the USB 3.0 option for USB Mode. Personally never noticed the box before on prior firmware since I normally use USB 3.0 port instead of the USB 2.0 port. On earlier routers like the RT-AC68U (and possibly others) the option to change the USB 3.0 port mode to USB 2.0 was there apparently to deal with the USB 3.0 interference generated by some USB 3.0 port's and their devices that could interfere with WiFi or other elements of the router's operation.

rt-ax86u_pro_usb2.jpg

Reactions: ika
It helps others to post a screen capture (see below) of what you are seeing or talking about. On a RT-AX86U Pro running this firmware the USB 2.0 port's External USB Disk Status pane's USB Mode defaulted to USB 3.0. The dropdown box option for USB Mode offers either USB 3.0 or USB 2.0. Could simply be a firmware bug that allows the USB 2.0 port to have the USB 3.0 option for USB Mode. Personally never noticed the box before on prior firmware since I normally use USB 3.0 port instead of the USB 2.0 port. On earlier routers like the RT-AC68U (and possibly others) the option to change the USB 3.0 port mode to USB 2.0 was there apparently to deal with the USB 3.0 interference generated by some USB 3.0 port's and their devices that could interfere with WiFi or other elements of the router's operation.
Thank you very much for the screenshot, I could not make one at this time. Yes, that is the one, and I do not recall it being there for the second (USB2 capable only) port. Maybe it was there, maybe it is a glitch, it is not that important as I said, I start to feel bad bringing it up now:)

Dirty upgrade from 388.4. No issues so far. Thank you @RMerlin !

Yes, the option is also there for the USB 2.0 port (when I did first notice it, I thought that it was a glitch in the Merlin firmware for this router but realized, from discussion in other posts, that is was also present on several other routers with combined 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports. When looking at the physical USB ports, a port with a blue connector means 3.0 compatible and a non-blue one 1.0 or 2.0 compatible only.

1702151065178.png

was wireless touched is. because update to beta and now relese (dirty ) on both at gxe16000 and gxe11000 both showed 5-10 db less wifi strength on my monitoring s/w (netspot)

back to last 4.0 release and signal levels are back up?

So, it is a glitch. Unless the port is actually USB 3, having the option to switch between USB 2 and 3 doesn't make sense.

Reactions: ika
Not discussed, but mentioned. I fetched both firmwares, extracted the filesystems, and ran a "utility" I'd made to rifle through two directory structures and remove from the target any files which are bitwise the same as in the other. In the resultant "final" release there remained only a handful of binary files where the differences were compiled-in timestamps and/or text character strings (release info). I'm leaving mine on the beta and saving a memory erase/write cycle for later use.
Thank you so much. I couldn’t work out how to see these on GitHub. I’ll be doing the same as you and skipping the release then.

@RMerlin - a nice to have would be an asterisk or similar against any components that have changed since beta in your future final release notes. And thanks as always.

HB

Last edited:
was wireless touched is. because update to beta and now relese (dirty ) on both at gxe16000 and gxe11000 both showed 5-10 db less wifi strength on my monitoring s/w (netspot)

I suggest backing up all the old configuration and then doing a clean setup (factory reset) with minimal configuration on 388.5 and test again.
It's a lot of work, but I think it's the only way to get reliable information.

Same (manual set) channels...?

It looks like Wifi was not touched at all in this release but I had to go back to 3004.388.4 on my AX68U due to issues.
My ring doorbell was constantly getting disconnected. Also overall internet performance just seemed really sluggish, everything would get slow in spurts. I have the TrendMicro agreement revoked, and using the built in Cake QoS. I also tried disabling QoS and got the same results. As soon as I went back to 388.4, instant improvement and no more disconnects from my 2.4Ghz devices.

I did run the 388.5 beta for a short while and did not really notice issues until the final version, which I am not sure if much even changed between the two.

It looks like Wifi was not touched at all in this release but I had to go back to 3004.388.4 on my AX68U due to issues.
My ring doorbell was constantly getting disconnected. Also overall internet performance just seemed really sluggish, everything would get slow in spurts. I have the TrendMicro agreement revoked, and using the built in Cake QoS. I also tried disabling QoS and got the same results. As soon as I went back to 388.4, instant improvement and no more disconnects from my 2.4Ghz devices.

I did run the 388.5 beta for a short while and did not really notice issues until the final version, which I am not sure if much even changed between the two.

Now go forward again and see if the problem returns. Without doing this, you may have simply cleared an issue rather than proven a software issue.

Got Ring Pro 2, and no connection issue was observed.

Another dirty update from release 388.4 to release 388.5 on my RT-AX3000 (aka RT-AX58U).
No issues and smooth sailing since updating a few days ago.

Now go forward again and see if the problem returns. Without doing this, you may have simply cleared an issue rather than proven a software issue.
Good idea, I will give it a couple days on 388.4 and see if any issues return then try updating again.

Upgraded my AX86u couple of days ago, noticed 1 strange thing. Which I can't bring back to the changes made in this version, but the issues wasn't there before the upgrade.
With 'DoS protection' enabled I can't connect to my NAS anymore from external. Before the upgrade there was no issue.
I enabled 'Log Dropped packets' and I can see all those connection are dropped by the firewall. The Ipadress originating the call's all resolved to Akamai.
Anybody who has an explanation or can point me in some direction to solve this because I would love to enable 'DoS protection' again.

Updated my AX88U from 3004.388.4 to 3004.388.5 8 days ago.

All fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.