What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6_x test builds (dnsmasq 2.90)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:
Feb 17 00:31:49 dnsmasq[2780]: validation of 216.58.202.4.in-addr.arpa failed: resource limit exceeded

Not sure if it is good, bad, or even relevant.
Not got into any actual measurable issues, so I'm not sure what should I do with that error.

DNSSec is ON.

Thanks, @RMerlin

off or on no problem reported yet with 3004.388.6 Beta \thanks

Can you elaborate? Is it failing to connect, or to resolve the address of the server?
I'm not sure how to answer that directly as the programs don't indicate, however, what I can provide for an example is the following: I use JDownloader. Upon opening the program, it always checks for updates. With 3004.388.6_1 it can't connect to check for updates, or maybe communication out was blocked, etc. I had the same issue with SnappyDriverInstaller trying to check for updated indexes, it couldn't connect. I could go do anything I wanted using an internet browser without issue. I disabled firewall on the router, no difference.
I then 15 mins later installed 3004.388.6_0 and immediately upon completion, I opened those programs and they both connected and updated without issue.

It means you reached one of the new limits dnsmasq has in place to protect against resource exhaustion.

Were you running anything that generated a ton of DNS queries at that time?

Unfortunately, dnsmasq will log that error messages for various situations, including if there was simply an issue connecting to an authoritative server.

I'm not sure how to answer that directly as the programs don't indicate, however, what I can provide for an example is the following: I use JDownloader. Upon opening the program, it always checks for updates. With 3004.388.6_1 it can't connect to check for updates, or maybe communication out was blocked, etc. I had the same issue with SnappyDriverInstaller trying to check for updated indexes, it couldn't connect. I could go do anything I wanted using an internet browser without issue. I disabled firewall on the router, no difference.
I then 15 mins later installed 3004.388.6_0 and immediately upon completion, I opened those programs and they both connected and updated without issue.
I would need to know the address of the server that it tried to resolve to see if it fails resolving. Also, any error message in the log at that time?

I just tested JDownloader, and it properly returned "You already have the latest version" for me. I suspect something else (like maybe the WAN IP you received at the time was blacklisted) was happening in your case. Your ISP would have provided you with a different IP after you rebooted with the firmware downgrade, resolving your issue.

Last edited:
Code:
Feb 17 00:31:49 dnsmasq[2780]: validation of 216.58.202.4.in-addr.arpa failed: resource limit exceeded

Not got into any actual measurable issues, so I'm not sure what should I do with that error.

DNSSec is ON.

Thanks, @RMerlin

I'm seeing the same with 216.58.202.4.in-addr.arpa along with www.goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle.com.

If I search for these requests on internet, it seems that this is some weird stuff that Samsung devices can produce after android 10. I've also tracked this down to my Samsung tablet producing these request. Replayed some stuff with opening apps I've been using, but couldn't reproduce it.

[Update]
I can reproduce this by toggling the flight mode on/off on the Samsung tablet.

Last edited:
It means you reached one of the new limits dnsmasq has in place to protect against resource exhaustion.

Were you running anything that generated a ton of DNS queries at that time?

Unfortunately, dnsmasq will log that error messages for various situations, including if there was simply an issue connecting to an authoritative server

Not sure why was anything reached.
Did not do anything in specific, it's just like that...
Ran and hit the wall 😂

Anything to worry about?

I'm seeing the same with 216.58.202.4.in-addr.arpa along with www.goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle.com.

If I search for these requests on internet, it seems that this is some weird stuff that Samsung devices can produce after android 10. I've also tracked this down to my Samsung tablet producing these request. Replayed some stuff with opening apps I've been using, but couldn't reproduce it.

[Update]
I can reproduce this by toggling the flight mode on/off on the Samsung tablet.

LOL, I got 2 Samsung Tablets and 4 samsung Smartphones,
Any of those could cause this thing, theoretically.

Is that an issue, something to worry?
Resolvable?
Ignorable?
Would appreciate the guidance here.

@RMerlin

LOL, I got 2 Samsung Tablets and 4 samsung Smartphones,
Any of those could cause this thing, theoretically.

Resolvable?
Ignorable?

@RMerlin
I don't don't think it's something to worry about. In that reddit link is stated that Samsung services are causing this and as we have Samsung devices we have to trust Samsung at some point. Besides that I don't notice any effect on network stability, so I don't care to much.

I don't don't think it's something to worry about. In that reddit link is stated that Samsung services are causing this and as we have Samsung devices we have to trust Samsung at some point. Besides that I don't notice any effect on network stability, so I don't care to much.

I see.
Thanks for the info, buddy!
I hope it wouldn't crash anything here, nor would it make issue to anything to browse and such.

Resolvable?
Ignorable?
I don't know. We are still just at the information gathering stage here.

Here, I am unable to reproduce the dnsmasq error with either of these two queries. The Samsung google query resolves normally for me, so maybe the reply varies by regions.

As I said, it's unfortunate that dnsmasq chose to use the same error message for different causes, making it impossible to determine if it's caused by a remote server not answering, or by a query legitimately triggering the new limitations.

I am unable to reproduce the dnsmasq error with either of these two queries. The Samsung google query resolves normally for me

Same unable to make this happen. All working good here no errors.

Got this going on; but not really seing any issues, every thing seems to be working fine.

Wife's on her iPad on Facebook, Insta and other social media sites serving up ads
I'm on iPhone Chrome, Reddit' Game all serving up ads
DirecTV Stream Osprey box, occasionally serves up ads and some of the streaming services do as well

dnsmasq is a lot more verbose that's for sure, these are just a snipet of whats in the log. I've tried going to some of these sites but they don't resolve. Haven't really bothered to look to deeply into this since it hasn't caused a problem, and no complaints from the wife (my early warning system that something is wrong ;) ). Would be nice if the MAC address that intiated the DNS request that fails was included to narrow this down a bit. It's odd, maybe not, but adservrs.com sure comes up a lot.

Since I'm running scribe if it gets too bad/noisy I'll just add a filter and get these messages out of the system.log, to keep it neat and tidy, and into their own dedicated log not to lose anything, then again since it's all appears to be ads maybe it's time to try an adblocker ;)

Snipets of the System log
Feb 16 19:18:51 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of js7k.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 16 19:18:51 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of cdn.js7k.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 16 19:18:51 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of js7k.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 16 19:18:51 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of cdn.js7k.com failed: resource limit exceeded.

Feb 17 01:48:42 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of player.unrulyvideo.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 01:48:42 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 01:48:54 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of adxpremium.services failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 01:48:54 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of rtb.adxpremium.services failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 01:48:54 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of rtb.adxpremium.services failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 01:48:54 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of adxpremium.services failed: resource limit exceeded.

Feb 17 11:44:57 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of player.unrulyvideo.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 11:44:57 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of player.unrulyvideo.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 11:44:57 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.

Feb 17 11:46:09 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 11:46:09 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.

Last edited:
Got this going on; but not really seing any issues, every thing seems to be working fine.

Wife's on her iPad on Facebook, Insta and other social media sites serving up ads
I'm on iPhone Chrome, Reddit' Game all serving up ads
DirecTV Stream Osprey box, occasionally serves up ads and some of the streaming services do as well

dnsmasq is a lot more verbose that's for sure, these are just a snipet of whats in the log. I've tried going to some of these sites but they don't resolve. Haven't really bothered to look to deeply into this since it hasn't caused a problem, and no complaints from the wife (my early warning system that something is wrong ;) ). Would be nice if the MAC address that intiated the DNS request that fails was included to narrow this down a bit. It's odd, maybe not, but adservrs.com sure comes up a lot.

Since I'm running scribe if it gets too bad/noisy I'll just add a filter and get these messages out of the system.log, to keep it neat and tidy, and into their own dedicated log not to lose anything, then again since it's all appears to be ads maybe it's time to try an adblocker ;)

Snipets of the System log

Feb 17 01:48:42 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of player.unrulyvideo.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 01:48:42 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.

Feb 17 11:44:57 Router dnsmasq[12548]: validation of adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.

Quick little update, tried going to the site adservrs.com and got this, if this helps narrow it down 🤷‍♂️

1708198470062.png

Feb 17 14:33:10 Router dnsmasq[22734]: validation of adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 14:33:10 Router dnsmasq[22734]: validation of adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 14:33:10 Router dnsmasq[22734]: validation of www.adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.
Feb 17 14:33:10 Router dnsmasq[22734]: validation of www.adservrs.com failed: resource limit exceeded.

Last edited:
Quick little update, tried going to the site adservrs.com and got this, if this helps narrow it down 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 56510

That website returns nothing here. But i see nothing in the router log like your posts shows.

That website returns nothing here. But i see nothing in the router log like your posts show
I checked the domain across several DNS servers as well, nothing came back. Guessing it might be something in the config I'll play with it tonight (and with different browser set setups (DoH/DoT) now that I know how to make it happen.

1708202684662.png

FYI DNS Director set to Router

What DNS servers are you using on the WAN? ISP's, or some third party server (for instance an ad blocking server)?

I just tried two on the lists, first one resolved properly, second one returned a SOA record, again no error, and no dnsmasq log entry. Seems most likely that all the reported issues so far are specific to the upstream DNS server that is used.

Until I can reproduce any of these errors, possibly by testing with the same upstream servers used when the error occurred, no progress can be made in tracking down the root cause.

Last edited:
What DNS servers are you using on the WAN? ISP's, or some third party server (for instance an ad blocking server)?

I just tried two on the lists, first one resolved properly, second one returned a SOA record, again no error, and no dnsmasq log entry. Seems most likely that all the reported issues so far are specific to the upstream DNS server that is used.

Until I can reproduce any of these errors, possibly by testing with the same upstream servers used when the error occurred, no progress can be made in tracking down the root cause.
Only happened with a couple of domains, using CloudFlare but using other servers on both US and in other countries that one domain didn’t have any records so I’m not sure it’s a problem

What I need to do is try those domains again , all the ones that caused the error the ones that had no DNS records off of WiFI (using the phones) and sort through may selecting a different DNS, might also play around with the strict vs opportunistic.

I just didn’t get around to it with all the honey do’ on my list today

Testing with 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 as my upstream servers, I now get a SERVFAIL with the js7k.com query, and it generate the "resource limit exceeded" error. Directly querying 1.1.1.2 with the same query returns an A record of 0.0.0.0. Could be that dnsmasq doesn't like that answer.

I just tested the same query under dnsmasq 2.89, and it also return SERVFAIL. So that is the same behaviour as 2.90. The actual issue then isn't that, but the fact that it incorrectly complains about "resource limit exceeded".

I might have to move that log entry to DEBUG level to hide it, unless the dnsmasq dev can patch this in the coming days. SERVFAIL should not generate that log entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.