What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks! I just checked and that is set to "Normal", but I remember it was set to "Aggressive" before my last round of getting out of the condition. I will watch to see if it happens again now that "Normal" is selected.

If you want to test it, power cycle your modem, and see if the router succeeds in obtaining a new lease. Note that in Normal mode, it can take a few minutes for this to occur - give it a good 5 minutes.

Hello Merlin,

Find one issue with error page ( show when something wrong with WAN )

I use https protocol when work with my N66W ( used your FW .43 )
when WAN connection is disable system try to show error page on http protocol ( not on https i use for now )
When i switch to http everything is ok ( redirection to error page is ok )

Could you fix it in future FW version ?
Thank you.

Let's start this over. Look I reported my issue one time. The others posts I made were just follow ups to the first reporting what I had tried ect. The final post was a comment made to another poster having the same issue. Now I am sorry if you all feel I am blowing up the board here I certainly did not intend to do that.

I also understand that comcast v6 can be problematic I have been down this road before I am not new to this in the last two days. One has to wonder and in my case inquire when a router that worked perfect with v6 suddenly stops after a firmware update. That said I never implied that the problem was Merlin's fault or Asus for that matter I was just trying to see what the problem might be. In the future I will refrain from posting problems and just try on my own to figure them out rather then get flamed on a forum that I thought was for help and support. No hard feelings here all water under the bridge. Jim !!

Issue about IPv6 its not only about comcast. My IPv6 settings working only wth .40 any next version of firmware is simply quirky.

Hail to the Merlin :)

Issue about IPv6 its not only about comcast. My IPv6 settings working only wth .40 any next version of firmware is simply quirky.

Agree with the Hail to Merlin!
don't understand why no one creates separate thread for Comcast issues for proper tracking as well as IP6 issues. I do not use either as UVerse has not gone to IP6 in my area yet.
--bill

have you tried flashing to a version prior to .40 to see if it is just a FW flashing issue instead of a which FW you are using issue. And once it is borked it stays borked on comcasts end unless you are on that specific FW.

have you tried flashing to a version prior to .40 to see if it is just a FW flashing issue instead of a which FW you are using issue. And once it is borked it stays borked on comcasts end unless you are on that specific FW.

Hi

Yes i did, any previous f/w working fine as well. My ISP is not comcast, I'm form different country even.

I tried everything even manual settings of IPv6, different DNSv6 - trust me something is broken.

with f/w .40 i got:
un 9 21:24:42 rc_service: dhcp6c-state 20644:notify_rc start_httpd
Jun 9 21:24:42 rc_service: waitting "start_radvd" via dhcp6c-state ...
Jun 9 21:24:42 radvd[20643]: Exiting, sigterm or sigint received.
Jun 9 21:24:42 radvd[20643]: sending stop adverts
Jun 9 21:24:42 radvd[20643]: removing /var/run/radvd.pid
Jun 9 21:24:42 radvd[20646]: version 1.9.8 started
Jun 9 21:24:43 RT-AC66U: start httpd

with .41, .42 or .43 recive only 2 lines in log:
rc_service: dhcp6c-state 20644:notify_rc start_httpd
rc_service: waitting "start_radvd" via dhcp6c-state ...

Last edited:
Anyone else having issues with this release with PS3 connecting to the PSN network?

I never ah any issues before and now its not connecting. I tried putting it on the dmz just to check and it connected fine. something is blocking it now. I did add some port forwards recently for something else and havent tried the ps3 since.

Do I need to add the port forwards in for the PS3? The ps4 connects just fine.

The issue I had with Active Directory and dnsmasq on .42_2 still present there with .43_2. I did tried to move the dnsmasq.conf.add entries into Postconf script, but that did not resolved the issue. Back to .41 for now. I would appreciate any idea how to troubleshoot the issue.

The issue I had with Active Directory and dnsmasq on .42_2 still present there with .43_2. I did tried to move the dnsmasq.conf.add entries into Postconf script, but that did not resolved the issue. Back to .41 for now. I would appreciate any idea how to troubleshoot the issue.

The two DNS-related changes between 374.41 and 374.42 are that the router now uses dnsmasq to resolves internal lookups (which would not affect your scenario), and Asus upgraded dnsmasq from 2.68 to 2.70 (which seems to mostly deal with DNSSEC, unless a regression was introduced).

I still believe that using any DNS/DHCP server other than the PDC's own is asking for trouble - Microsoft didn't design AD with that in mind. Are you sure that you added ALL the custom records Microsoft uses for the local domain? There's quite a few DNS records required for your clients to properly locate the various AD-related services within your network. You will need to do some low-level debugging there to figure out what DNS record is missing for proper domain functionality.

You might want to look for online documentation on how to configure dnsmasq to handle AD services (assuming it's possible).

I've updated the firmware on my AC66U over the weekend and I've noticed that my usb flash drive doesn't work on the router anymore. When plugged in it doesn't flash like it should when accessing data also the usb icon and the router GUI doesn't show usb connected. I've tried a few different flash drive and it still doesn't work. I flashed the router back and to .42 and it still doesn't work. I plugged in one of those usb voltage amp tester and it shows 5v with no amp draw. Is there a setting I did to turn it off? Thanks

Edit: Fixed! I've upgraded back to .43 and I uploaded the save setting I did before I upgrade to .43 the first time and now everything works. Strange.

Last edited:

Well, I wouldn't enable IPv6 until there was an IPv6 firewall, which Merlin provided. Then I couldn't enable IPv6 because of the neighbor solicitation floods, which Merlin fixed. Now I get IPv6 disconnects because when I have IPv6 enabled, the router reboots about every day or so and so it keeps running off into the Comcast initialization weeds.

If Merlin hadn't done the IPv6 firewall and fixed the neighbor solicitation floods I would have left IPv6 disabled and wouldn't be seeing the flaky Comcast initialization issues. So it's Merlin's fault for providing all those features? :)

But apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has Merlin ever done for us? :)

With Charter you are probably being affected by their aggressive MAC blacklisting - which you are working around by having your laptop's MAC used for a request. Go to the WAN page, and make sure DHCP mode is set to "Normal", not "Aggressive". That option had to be implemented specifically because of Charter.

I cannot tell you how many hours I spent troubleshooting my connection to Charter each time I moved my router at home last month trying to get a better signal with my 68U after each move I'd spend up to three hours trying to get back online

Glad to know I wasn't going crazy

Okay so, I have a random question about wmm apsd. If I'm not using any voip devices should I have it enabled and also if I disable wmm apsd is wmm still enabled by itself without apsd? I'd really appreciate it if someone gave me the downlow on this. I have the rt-n66r with 374.43 merlin firmware installed on it

...and is dtim interval still in effect with wmm apsd disabled?

Ahh... Just noticed that jffs2 is now automatically disabled after clearing nvram. So does that mean I need to format it when I enable it or just enable it. I simply just enabled it back on for now

traffic manager

Hi Merlin,

firstly I checked and 43 fw version did the trick with the traffic manager in PPOE connection scenario for RT-AC68U; BTW I've to report a strange behaviour for 24H graph: if I try to access it with my laptop inside the LAN, I only saw 1 hour time period in the graph; instead, if I try to access it from WAN, I see the graph as it is supposed to be, rather displaying all past 24H.

What could it be? :confused:

Last edited:
I've been experiencing significant WAN->LAN and LAN->WAN throughput decreases on the last couple of releases on my RT-AC66U.

On this 374.43 release I go from ~800/800 Mbps (DL/UL) with a direct connection to my GPON ONT to ~200/50 Mbps through the router. In past releases (I can't recall which it was, sorry) the router was never the bottleneck.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

@Merlin, please let me know if I can help by testing beta loads. I realize 1G symmetrical connections are not yet very common.

Last edited:
i'm thinking about buying that one since i may have messed up my jffs2 partition. I formatted it without back it up first

I've been experiencing significant WAN->LAN and LAN->WAN throughput decreases on the last couple of releases on my RT-AC66U.

On this 374.43 release I go from ~800/800 Mbps (DL/UL) with a direct connection to my GPON ONT to ~200/50 Mbps through the router. In past releases (I can't recall which it was, sorry) the router was never the bottleneck.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

@Merlin, please let me know if I can help by testing beta loads. I realize 1G symmetrical connections are not yet very common.

Such a drastic drop would indicate that HW acceleration is currently disabled. Check the Tools -> Sysinfo page to determine which functionality has forced it to be disabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!