What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I updated firmware 374.43 to 374.43_2 on my AC68W - but I accidentally did it wireless instead of wired. Update completed w/o any issues.

Should I re-flash again via wired or is it not necessary?

Howdy,
NOW LISTEN HERE. The problem is with Comcast and your cable modem. Shut off you cable modem for a hour, and your router.... turn it all back on. It will probably work.

Merlin has stated this before, stop wasting bandwidth with your constant problem with IP6. It is not a asus firmware issue.

flame jacket off, off the soap box. :eek:

Done your suggestion many times don't work. My cable modem works just fine thank you as it obtains a v6 address instantly upon boot up. I was not aware that Merlin needed all these people to address and answer questions for him. Perhaps sir you should also mind your own buisieness a bud out of a problem that you have no clue about. This is a Asus router forum I am not wasting any ones bandwidth again I simply posted a issue I was having with the new build and my 68U if you or anybody else don't like it you can kiss my white butt. I have every right to post here just like anyone else.

Wow that escalated quickly. Now now guys. This is a community.. Everyone hug and make up. shirt happens keep calm.

Just wanted to chime in as I just updated my RT-N66W today. I have no issues with it so far and it seems to be more responsive than 374.42. IPV6 is also working and I have comcast as an ISP.

You can report whatever you want to as I can comment on whatever I want to. You already reported it on the 6th and so forth.

06-06-2014, 09:00 PM jim
Yesterday, 12:10 AM merlin Comcast's IPv6 support is simply quirky, the issue isn't the new firmware, it's the fact your router was rebooted, and it has trouble getting a new IPv6 connection established with Comcast -
Yesterday, 12:45 AM jim again

Yesterday, 12:56 AM jim
Today, 10:37 AM jim
Today, 12:42 PM merlin once again repeating and clarifying

Its quirky as merlin says. I am concerned because you can tell merlin gets tired of having to repeat himself (not just ipv6 issues). Last time he had to take a nice long break from the project (Cant blame him). So in the end it is everyone's business who is following the project so do not try to tell otherwise. As for your issue try back on the last firmware that worked for you and stick with that for sometime. Maybe in the future Asus (or Comcast) will improve support for that feature in which time you can try again with the newer version.

I will report to Merlin what ever i want to back off and keep your comments to yourself this does not concern you. Merlin can speak for himself and dont need you to do it for him. I was simply reporting a issue that i have experienced nothing more nothing less.

You can report whatever you want to as I can comment on whatever I want to. You already reported it on the 6th and so forth.

06-06-2014, 09:00 PM jim
Yesterday, 12:10 AM merlin Comcast's IPv6 support is simply quirky, the issue isn't the new firmware, it's the fact your router was rebooted, and it has trouble getting a new IPv6 connection established with Comcast -
Yesterday, 12:45 AM jim again

Yesterday, 12:56 AM jim
Today, 10:37 AM jim
Today, 12:42 PM merlin once again repeating and clarifying

Its quirky as merlin says. I am concerned because you can tell merlin gets tired of having to repeat himself (not just ipv6 issues). Last time he had to take a nice long break from the project (Cant blame him). So in the end it is everyone's business who is following the project so do not try to tell otherwise. As for your issue try back on the last firmware that worked for you and stick with that for sometime. Maybe in the future Asus (or Comcast) will improve support for that feature in which time you can try again with the newer version.

Let's start this over. Look I reported my issue one time. The others posts I made were just follow ups to the first reporting what I had tried ect. The final post was a comment made to another poster having the same issue. Now I am sorry if you all feel I am blowing up the board here I certainly did not intend to do that.

I also understand that comcast v6 can be problematic I have been down this road before I am not new to this in the last two days. One has to wonder and in my case inquire when a router that worked perfect with v6 suddenly stops after a firmware update. That said I never implied that the problem was Merlin's fault or Asus for that matter I was just trying to see what the problem might be. In the future I will refrain from posting problems and just try on my own to figure them out rather then get flamed on a forum that I thought was for help and support. No hard feelings here all water under the bridge. Jim !!

Last edited:
Just a suggestion: Maybe someone should open a separate thread for comcast issues? I'll butt out now.

Pretty sure flaming is making fun of you. No one is making fun of you or saying anything you said is stupid. Part of troubleshooting is not assuming anything either. Firmware could be okay it could be Comcast has an issue with the newer firmware etc. Merlin does not seem to want to troubleshoot comcast ipv6 because of the discrepencies and because like he said it is flaky, so if it works it is a bonus. He has a hard time even knowing where to begin because none of that code changed (I have seen unlike things mess up other things). Also, it probably is extremely hard to troubleshoot if he does not have Comcast as well. Sometimes it is best to start with the self troubleshooting as well sometimes it is something on the user end such as needing reset of router etc. You might try a new thread like the previous commenter said and might include a poll with people with the issues and see how many are affected (Dunno if that is possible), but I would def flash back to the firmware that worked and keep that for awhile, long as you did not need any of the other changes with the newer.

Let's start this over. Look I reported my issue one time. The others posts I made were just follow ups to the first reporting what I had tried ect. The final post was a comment made to another poster having the same issue. Now I am sorry if you all feel I am blowing up the board here I certainly did not intend to do that.

I also understand that comcast v6 can be problematic I have been down this road before I am not new to this in the last two days. One has to wonder and in my case inquire when a router that worked perfect with v6 suddenly stops after a firmware update. That said I never implied that the problem was Merlin's fault or Asus for that matter I was just trying to see what the problem might be. In the future I will refrain from posting problems and just try on my own to figure them out rather then get flamed on a forum that I thought was for help and support. No hard feelings here all water under the bridge. Jim !!

Just a quick suggestion....things like the fragile IPv6 problem usually imply to me a timing related issue. You may not touch a section of code, but changes in other areas result in a small change in the timing of execution of the various pieces.

So....I would start changing/adding the various xxx-start scripts to include a sleep command of a couple of seconds to see if it had any effect. Just an idea.

I'm so far behind! Been flat out and haven't had the chance to check for updates!

Currently running .40.0 on N66U, to upgrade to .43 do I need to do a factory reset our can I just do the firmware upgrade?

Cheers!

The first time I installed .43 I lost access to the router completely and was without internet but eventually managed to access it again after rebooting both router and PC.
I did a factory reset before and after I installed .43!
The second time I tried to put a .43 it worked!
Wonder why it was so?

Howdy,
NOW LISTEN HERE. The problem is with Comcast and your cable modem. Shut off you cable modem for a hour, and your router.... turn it all back on. It will probably work.

Merlin has stated this before, stop wasting bandwidth with your constant problem with IP6. It is not a asus firmware issue.

flame jacket off, off the soap box. :eek:

never heard of the ignore option ? works really well :)

Currently running .40.0 on N66U, to upgrade to .43 do I need to do a factory reset our can I just do the firmware upgrade?
Hi,

If you look thru the change-log (see first post of the thread!) you will see that the since .40 nothing major changed in drivers, etc. for the N66U. :confused:

But it's always save to the a factory reset AFTER the update and to start fresh to have all default settings back to default! :rolleyes:

Do not forget to remove the WLAN profiles from your devices and add them fresh to have the low-level settings (negotations between router and device) set to the actual values! :eek:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

The first time I installed .43 I lost access to the router completely and was without internet but eventually managed to access it again after rebooting both router and PC.
I did a factory reset before and after I installed .43!
The second time I tried to put a .43 it worked!
Wonder why it was so?

Same here. Except it did it to me twice. Seems to have some weird relationship to the Guest network, since it was fine on the second round until I reconfigured and enabled that. I decided to go back to .42 - just wasn't brave enough to try again after twice having .43 blow up my RT-N66U. Glad to hear it worked for you - but I think I'll wait for .44 now.

I updated firmware 374.43 to 374.43_2 on my AC68W - but I accidentally did it wireless instead of wired. Update completed w/o any issues.

Should I re-flash again via wired or is it not necessary?

No, it's fine. The main risk is that your connection might drop in the middle of the upload, but if it booted fine afterwards that wasn't the case.

I'm so far behind! Been flat out and haven't had the chance to check for updates!

Cheers!

Shouldn't be necessary in this scenario.

Another fun WAN DHCP data point for everyone...

I have Charter using IPv4 (not v6), and I get a similar problem to what you are describing with v6 every now and then. The only way I've been able to fix it is to connect my laptop directly to the cable modem, reboot the modem, and wait for the modem to give the laptop an IP address (which doesn't always happen right off the bat and may require multiple reboots and/or cable pulls). I then make sure the router has cloned my laptop MAC address, then I can reconnect the router and have everything work.

I don't know what triggers the problem, and I've seen it at some point on every one of the last three firmwares, and even some older ones. I've always chalked it up to a Charter problem. Except for those rare times, everything else runs great on my RT-N66U.

Thanks for a great firmware, Merlin...I always recommend it to everyone I come across that has a compatible router.

Another fun WAN DHCP data point for everyone...

I have Charter using IPv4 (not v6), and I get a similar problem to what you are describing with v6 every now and then. The only way I've been able to fix it is to connect my laptop directly to the cable modem, reboot the modem, and wait for the modem to give the laptop an IP address (which doesn't always happen right off the bat and may require multiple reboots and/or cable pulls). I then make sure the router has cloned my laptop MAC address, then I can reconnect the router and have everything work.

I don't know what triggers the problem, and I've seen it at some point on every one of the last three firmwares, and even some older ones. I've always chalked it up to a Charter problem. Except for those rare times, everything else runs great on my RT-N66U.

With Charter you are probably being affected by their aggressive MAC blacklisting - which you are working around by having your laptop's MAC used for a request. Go to the WAN page, and make sure DHCP mode is set to "Normal", not "Aggressive". That option had to be implemented specifically because of Charter.

With Charter you are probably being affected by their aggressive MAC blacklisting - which you are working around by having your laptop's MAC used for a request. Go to the WAN page, and make sure DHCP mode is set to "Normal", not "Aggressive". That option had to be implemented specifically because of Charter.

Thanks! I just checked and that is set to "Normal", but I remember it was set to "Aggressive" before my last round of getting out of the condition. I will watch to see if it happens again now that "Normal" is selected.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!