What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Such a drastic drop would indicate that HW acceleration is currently disabled. Check the Tools -> Sysinfo page to determine which functionality has forced it to be disabled.

Thanks for the tip as I have been experiencing the same issues since upgrading my internet to a 150/15.

My hardware acceleration is showing disabled - incompatible with IPTraffic.

Do I have to turn off my IP Traffic or is there a work around?

Edited to add I have an RT-N66U.

Last edited:
See and that is the hard part to troubleshoot. Another user said 42 firmware was fine and 43 broke the comcast ipv6. Its probably some combination of a setting and firmware or just needs a delay added. Users are all over with what works/ does not. A seperate thread would be the best to track the progress across all firmwares not just the latest.

Hi

Yes i did, any previous f/w working fine as well. My ISP is not comcast, I'm form different country even.

I tried everything even manual settings of IPv6, different DNSv6 - trust me something is broken.

with f/w .40 i got:

with .41, .42 or .43 recive only 2 lines in log:

I keep seeing this now and then.
Any clue about it?
(Also before on 374.42)

Code:
Jun 11 21:35:43 kernel: wl0.1: received packet with  own address as source address

Code:
Jun 11 21:35:43 kernel: wl0.1: received packet with  own address as source address

Just tracked that one down myself....in my case it was a newly installed Intel 7260HW-AC mini PCI-e card. There is an advanced option 'Mixed mode protection' that is set to 'CTS-to-self enabled'.

Thanks for the tip as I have been experiencing the same issues since upgrading my internet to a 150/15.

My hardware acceleration is showing disabled - incompatible with IPTraffic.

Do I have to turn off my IP Traffic or is there a work around?

Edited to add I have an RT-N66U.

You will have to disable IPTraffic. That functionality relies on rules inserted in the FORWARD chain, which gets bypassed when HW acceleration is enabled.

system time in AP mode

Merlin, thanks for your hard work

Just configured my rt-n66u as an ap, and noticed that the system time is not that of the ntp server (System Log - General Log) -- unless the time is used in a script, it is not much of a show stopper bug

Thanks again

Why are all my LAN ports limited to only 100 Full Duplex

Just bought the RT-N66U and updated FW to Merlin's latest 3.0.0.4.374.43_0.

Thanks Merlin for the great FW. A lot more user friendly than the original.

Did not change much of the default settings except the SSID and passwords.

Under the Tools-Network-Ethernet ports-
WAN port is getting 1000 Full Duplex but the rest of the LAN 1 to 4 only getting 100 Full Duplex.
All cables are Cat 6 and I have swop the WAN and LAN cables with the same results.
Speed test on Wired and Wireless are the same at abt 75Mb D/L and 95Mb U/L.
Paid for 200Mb with ISP.

How can I get the LAN port up to 1000 Full Duplex?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Under the Tools-Network-Ethernet ports-
WAN port is getting 1000 Full Duplex but the rest of the LAN 1 to 4 only getting 100 Full Duplex.
All cables are Cat 6 and I have swop the WAN and LAN cables with the same results.
Speed test on Wired and Wireless are the same at abt 75Mb D/L and 95Mb U/L.
Paid for 200Mb with ISP.

How can I get the LAN port up to 1000 Full Duplex?

Make sure your clients are all set to auto-negotiate. Also confirm that they are actually Gigabit interfaces (there are still laptops out there that only support Fast Ethernet).

Hey Merlin, love what you've done.

Is there a way to persist logs so I can see what is happening right before router crash/reboot? RT-N66U, issues seemed to have come back around the 40 timeframe. Some mornings I see the wifi, but it won't accept connections from any clients (and I haven't bothered going down to my wired computer in those times, as the wifi issue usually happens in the morning).

Alternatively, do you have a guide to setting up a debugger on the router? If I can track down the cause of the reboot, I can write a patch.

System Time in AP mode

zeus2machina - I was able to solve this by giving the IP address of the router as the default gateway for the AP. Time was picked up right away.

Lost bridge cable modem connection

So the weirdest thing happened after updating to 374.43: Mi cable modem (Arris tg862g) in bridge mode simply won't connect to my RT-N66U anymore.

After multiple resets on both devices, going back to .42, restoring factory settings and other attempts to get them work again the problem was fixed when I removed the external USB drive from RT-N66U. The drive was formatted as ext3 right on the router's shell and I was copying files minutes before updating to .43, it works just fine on a PC.

Any clues?

My wireless signal strength seems like it isn't what it used to be. On my inSSider4 program I've had for a while now, my wireless signal dbm used to be -41 on the 2.4 ghz band or better at all times. Nothing has changed since then except for the fact i have formatted my jffs2 partition and cleared my nvram. Now my wireless signal seems to stay around -51 dbm and I have no idea why or what caused it to happen. My router is the rt-n66r B1 model

...This change in signal strength applies to both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wireless bands.

Anybody have any ideas what caused this change in signal strength?

and what can I do to fix this?

Last edited:
With inssider not running...

What are the actual throughput numbers for your network from fixed/known location (before and after).

I've stopped looking at inssider (and other similar programs) because in the end; throughput (and the consistency of that throughput) is all that matters and I have not seen a reduction in throughput in the latest builds across the RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U and the RT-N66U models.

Throughput is the same. I have always gotten the max speed from my internet which isn't much. I have 4G fixed wireless broadband that runs off of radio towers.

I get 6mbps download speed and between 2 and 3 mbps upload speed.

www.turnerbroadband.com is my isp website.

The wireless signal strength I know for sure isn't as strong as it used to be, but I havent had any loss in throughput.

I have noticed that if I were to format the jffs2 partition and then clear nvram right afterwards the wireless strength will greatly reduce and then slowly build back up to a normal level over a period of a few days.

Last edited:
Does uploading the merlin firmware by putting the router into recovery mode and then going to the asus mini server page on 192.168.1.1 and selecting the firmware file to upload do anything different than just uploading the firmware the normal way. The main thing Im trying to understand is why does it take so much longer than the normal way. My router takes 40 minutes until it will come back on to where you can reconfigure the settings from scratch.

Is it formatting the partitions and then uploading the firmware or what?

Hey Merlin, love what you've done.

Is there a way to persist logs so I can see what is happening right before router crash/reboot? RT-N66U, issues seemed to have come back around the 40 timeframe. Some mornings I see the wifi, but it won't accept connections from any clients (and I haven't bothered going down to my wired computer in those times, as the wifi issue usually happens in the morning).

You would have to enable the JFFS2 partition, manually stop syslogd, and restart it pointing at a it.

Code:
syslogd -m 0 -S -O /jffs/syslog.log -s 256 -l 7

Alternatively, do you have a guide to setting up a debugger on the router? If I can track down the cause of the reboot, I can write a patch.

You could install gdb from Optware, but I'm not sure it will be of any help there. The first thing to do would probably to connect the router using its internal serial port to capture any kernel oops message.

Throughput is the same. I have always gotten the max speed from my internet which isn't much. I have 4G fixed wireless broadband that runs off of radio towers.

I get 6mbps download speed and between 2 and 3 mbps upload speed.

www.turnerbroadband.com is my isp website.

The wireless signal strength I know for sure isn't as strong as it used to be, but I havent had any loss in throughput.

I have noticed that if I were to format the jffs2 partition and then clear nvram right afterwards the wireless strength will greatly reduce and then slowly build back up to a normal level over a period of a few days.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about (just) ISP throughput.

Have a wired connection to a fast computer (with SSD if possible) and see how fast a transfer takes (you can use something like freefilesync to measure/time the transfer) with a large file to a wireless computer with preferably an SSD inside too.

This shows you how fast your wireless network really is (with fast enough computers and HDD's/SSD's).

My wireless signal strength seems like it isn't what it used to be. On my inSSider4 program I've had for a while now, my wireless signal dbm used to be -41 on the 2.4 ghz band or better at all times. Nothing has changed since then except for the fact i have formatted my jffs2 partition and cleared my nvram. Now my wireless signal seems to stay around -51 dbm and I have no idea why or what caused it to happen. My router is the rt-n66r B1 model

...This change in signal strength applies to both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz wireless bands.

Anybody have any ideas what caused this change in signal strength?

and what can I do to fix this?

Funny you say so, I see exact the same thing.
Only tested on 2.4GHz but it's 5dBm lower.
(With the same regional settings.)
Throughput however seems to be on par with 374.42
Weird.

I blamed myself because it's a box on which I installed a new OS. (Win 8.1)
However the same WiFi dongle and inSSIDer is used.
And I don't see any WiFi related stuff reading the changelog. :confused:

Funny you say so, I see exact the same thing.
Only tested on 2.4GHz but it's 5dBm lower.
(With the same regional settings.)
Throughput however seems to be on par with 374.42
Weird.

I blamed myself because it's a box on which I installed a new OS. (Win 8.1)
However the same WiFi dongle and inSSIDer is used.
And I don't see any WiFi related stuff reading the changelog. :confused:

My guess would be that the closed source driver is outputting a cleaner signal as needed to the client in question. More (actual) Tx power is not always better. A better or cleaner signal is always better.

As the throughput tests show.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!