What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I always do factory resets after upgrading to any release, but this time around I have seen people recommending clearing the nvram. How do I go about doing this?

I always do factory resets after upgrading to any release, but this time around I have seen people recommending clearing the nvram. How do I go about doing this?

After enabling telnet sessions, type:

telnet 192.168.1.1
"admin"/password

mtd -r erase nvram
or
mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

i was under the impression that a factory reset clears the nvram. i understand you can manually clear nvram, but doesn't a factory reset clear it as well?

Hmm... my router (ac68u) now simply won't accept the harddisk. After the update yesterday, it said that the disk was corrupted and that I had to 'fix' it via a pc. My mac indeed said that the disk was faulty and needed fixing.

I tried this today but now Mac OS says the disk is perfectly fine. To be sure, I formatted it so it is empty right now.

BUT... the router still says it is corrupted and won't mount the disk.

Help :confused:

/edit:
Disk scan returns this info, so all seems fine... but it still stays red "Errors have been detected on your hard drive. Remove any damaged files or use a PC to correct system issues.":

Checking volume information.

82808 KB in 95 files.

262144 KB in 19 directories.

0 KB in bad blocks in 0 fragments.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

244106668 total allocation units on volume.

243944578 allocation units available on volume.

The volume /dev/sda2 appears to be OK.

chkhfs returns 1

Last edited:
ROLLBACK TO 374.43

Salve.
Sul mio RT-AC66U ho la WAN primaria connessa a un modem ADSL, mentre la WAN secondaria è un modem USB HSDPA+. Le WAN sono configurate in failover mode e in 374.43 funziona tutto bene compreso il fallback. Ho caricato il firmware 376.44 e succede quanto segue: se la WAN primaria va in fault il router attiva la WAN secondaria USB, ma quando la WAN primaria torna disponibile il router effettua uno switch di traffico su questa, come deve essere, ma la WAN secondaria va in fault e non viene più attivato il PDPcontext dell'APN Service configurato. Sono tornato indietro ricaricando il firmware 374.43 e tutto funziona nuovamente.
Tanks and sorry but no simple write in english for me.

After installing the update (I was in stock) The router wont give me IP so i cant configure it. I literally cant do anything.
Any ideas?

i was under the impression that a factory reset clears the nvram. i understand you can manually clear nvram, but doesn't a factory reset clear it as well?

I was told by Asus support awhile back that yes doing a factory reset does indeed clear nvram. Not sure why some people make it so complicated.

Hi Merlin, I've just upgraded my AC68U from 374.43_2 to 376.44
I've never installed any beta!
After the upgrade, I've lost my settings for the 5Ghz wlan. I was used to run these commands in order to have all the channels unlocked:

nvram set 0:ccode=#a
nvram set 1:ccode=#a
nvram set 0:regrev=0
nvram set 1:regrev=0
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off

Has the option to unlock all the channel, been disabled with the latest firmware?

Starting with firmware versions 376_xxxx, Asus is locking down channel and power output to what`s in the bootloader, due to FCC requirements.

After installing the update (I was in stock) The router wont give me IP so i cant configure it. I literally cant do anything.
Any ideas?

Turn the router off then back on, in case it was stuck during the reboot process.

If you still can't locate the router, use the Device Discovery tool from Asus.

Merlin , in this new version i cannot find the option to disable the access to the router via telnet .

Merlin , in this new version i cannot find the option to disable the access to the router via telnet .

Advanced Settings > Administration > System Tab

It's under "Miscellaneous" about 2/3 of the way down.

The FCC operates in one country so why this nonsense of crippling the firmware for everyone? Thing is these routers are now $250. each and going up.

If you can think of any simple and reliable way to only enforce it for US owners then I'm open to suggestions...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Starting with firmware versions 376_xxxx, Asus is locking down channel and power output to what`s in the bootloader, due to FCC requirements.

Thanks for the clarification, that's make sense, even if it's unfair :-/

A rollback to the previous version will still work? Do I need a factory reset?

Thanks again

I have a RT-AC66U that I flashed from 374.43 to 376.44. The only issue I see is in the 5GHz settings. Setting the wireless mode to N+AC always causes the router to revert to channel 36, 40MHz channel width, even after clearing NVRAM and setting up from scratch. That never used to happen.

To get around it, I set the wireless mode to Auto, channel bandwidth to 80MHz and channel to 157, which seems to work OK - my recent MacBook Pro indicates a link speed of around 702 which is (more or less) where it was with the previous firmware.

RMerlin, thanks!

As many have pointed out, this firmware has changed the country code settings, but to my surprise only two of them. Unfortunately, these two seem to control the channnels used.

Code:
wl_country_code=JP
[COLOR="Red"]wl0_country_code=US
wl1_country_code=US[/COLOR]
pci/1/1/ccode=JP
pci/2/1/ccode=JP
regulation_domain=JP
regulation_domain_5G=JP

Setting wl0_country_code=JP and wl1_country_code=JP does not seem to change the available channels. I assume the channel used by the router and the channels available in the UI are set at boot time and as previously has been noted, the wl0_country_code and wl1_country_code are overwritten during boot time.

Is there a command to refresh the available channels?

IPv6 with Uverse still needs tweeks to work

I just updated my RT-AC87R to the release version from beta 3. IPv6 still requires me to adjust the MTU of interface br0 and fix the MSS for packets being routed off my local network.

The AT&T RG is a NVG589 and it delivers the IPv6 configuration via SLAAC for prefix delegation to my internal network. The proper configuration on the IPv6 screen is to use "Native" and have router announcements on both the Wan (DHCP-PD) and Lan (Enable Router Advertisement) side.

Internally AT&T is hiding a 6rd implementation inside their network so the MTU picked up by the wan interface is 1472 for IPv6.

I had to use the firewall-start script in jffs to set these value to have IPv6 usable:

#!/bin/sh
touch /tmp/000firewall-start
echo 1472 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/br0/mtu
ip6tables -I FORWARD -o vlan2 -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1412

I don't think there is anything that Merlin can do to fix this and it would be up to Asus to correct in their side of the firmware.

Last edited:
I have a RT-AC66U that I flashed from 374.43 to 376.44. The only issue I see is in the 5GHz settings. Setting the wireless mode to N+AC always causes the router to revert to channel 36, 40MHz channel width, even after clearing NVRAM and setting up from scratch. That never used to happen.

To get around it, I set the wireless mode to Auto, channel bandwidth to 80MHz and channel to 157, which seems to work OK - my recent MacBook Pro indicates a link speed of around 702 which is (more or less) where it was with the previous firmware.

RMerlin, thanks!

Does this method support iOS? (I.e. iPhone 5S, iPad Air?)

Ok. Flashed 376.44 onto my AC68U (from 374.43) acting as router, and AC66U (also from 374.43) asting as AP for a day. I had flashed to 376.44 and then factory reset, and reloaded settings into both units. And here's my experience.

1. On my setup, wireless clients connected to the AC68U does not show up in client status, only wired clients do. I did not bother to check on my AC66U.

2. To achieve AC wireless connection, the Wireless Mode has to be set to Auto. Setting to N+AC will result the router accepting N+A connections only!

3. When wireless clients are connected to AC68U(Wireless Mode Auto, 80 MHz), they can connect at 866 link speed, but only to quickly drop link rate down to 433, 350, 29x...... and almost never come backup to 866 speed. The same devices (Intel 7290AC), and Samsung Galaxy S5s used to maintain substantially higher connections for extended period of time. Broadcom chipset clients fare a bit better but not by much. After the link rate dropped, I have not seen them get back up above 433, even though I move the device right next to the AC68U.

4. Problem 3 happens on AC66U with 376.44 to a lesser extent. The devices have no problem maintaining 866 link rate, but if the link rate drops lower (due to moving around), I have not seen the devices coming back up above 53x link rate. If I disconnect and reconnect the devices, they can connect and hold 866 link rates again.

5. 5G Wireless signals are about 3-7dbs lower at a range of 5m through a concrete wall, and 7dbs-10dbs lower at a range of 10m through a thin wooden partition.

6. Regarding IPv6, AC68U ditch out it's assigned IPv6 address as DNS server via DHCPv6, regardless of what is being set as DNS server on the IPv6 setting page. This is a change of behavior from 374.43 when the DHCPv6 will ditch out whatever is set as DNS Server on the IPv6 setting page. Seems that the router wants to take over all the DNS queries for the LAN, while quering the DNS servers set in the IPv6 pages itself.

The problem with link rate dropping is a major concern to me, and the IPv6 DNS server is a big annoyance to my IPv6 tunnelling. I am going to give the 374.43 a few more days, and if I can't live with the changes, I hope I can restore the wireless performance reverting back to 374.43.....:(

Attachments

• 5G-Set.jpg
    5G-Set.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 667
Since my luck with firmware updates in the past has been so bad, when it finishes the update, what is the best method to reboot it? I've read somewhere in the forum that turning the power off then on is the best method...though not good for usb drives. I can simply dismount it before I hit the power.

Also, does anyone know a method to dismount the usb disk at a certain time daily? I'm looking at putting a physical timer on the router and usb to save some energy at nights. I'm using a drobo so the idle feature is a bit long for the drive to spin back up. Hopefully it works better with this new firmware.

Is clearing the nvram any different from doing a factory default reset? I assume they are the same thing, but just to things clear things up... lol

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!