What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is clearing the nvram any different from doing a factory default reset? I assume they are the same thing, but just to things clear things up... lol

No difference as you are clearing the router's settings in both approaches.

After enabling telnet sessions, type:

telnet 192.168.1.1
"admin"/password

mtd -r erase nvram
or
mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

What is the difference between using those two commands on telnet. I've used the mtd-erase -d nvram and then sync && reboot right afterwards before.

Any difference if I were to use mtd -r erase nvram command instead? And is it better to do a power cycle after the nvram erase command or is using sync && reboot just as good.

I'm on the rt-n66r, by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, that's make sense, even if it's unfair :-/

A rollback to the previous version will still work? Do I need a factory reset?

Thanks again

You should be fine rolling back to 374.43 without a factory default reset.

Is it actually working correctly or are the errors repeating constantly? because I have those errors as well that show up when the router starts but everything is working fine.

from time to time, I can't see depending

Looks like my drive won't mount anymore:

Aug 5 23:49:50 kernel: ufsd: sda2 without journal
Aug 5 23:49:50 hotplug[515]: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/DroboS
Aug 5 23:49:52 hotplug[515]: USB partition unmounted from /tmp/mnt/DroboS

I'm just going to go ahead and assume doing a Factory Reset is equal to manually clearing the nvram. I've never had issues before doing it this way so. : )

I'm just going to go ahead and assume doing a Factory Reset is equal to manually clearing the nvram. I've never had issues before doing it this way so. : )

Yes, they do exactly the same thing. Some people just like doing things the hard way ;)

Ip Blocking

Hello
I am new to the forum and apologise in advance if this post is in the wrong place.
I am using an Asus RT-N66u Router with Merlin build 374.43, having always used Netgear router's before I find it odd that I am unable to find in this router how to block an incoming ip (or am I just looking in the wrong place) can anyone help please.
many thanks

Several other people have indicated they have the same problem as me. So I would imagine it's something more than just my environment.

I'm certainly one of them. While my upload performance has increased about 30%, my download performance has droped 50%. On the 374.43 version, performace up and down were about the same (30Mbps).

Is it actually working correctly or are the errors repeating constantly? because I have those errors as well that show up when the router starts but everything is working fine.

Code:
Message from syslogd@WAN at Aug  6 11:57:17 ...
 Connection: Detected that the WAN Connection Type was PPPoE. But the PPPoE Setting was not complete.
Message from syslogd@WAN at Aug  6 13:26:55 ...
 Connection: Detected that the WAN Connection Type was PPPoE. But the PPPoE Setting was not complete.
Message from syslogd@WAN at Aug  6 13:35:37 ...

Three times.

Starting with firmware versions 376_xxxx, Asus is locking down channel and power output to what`s in the bootloader, due to FCC requirements.

Is there any way to read the bootloader settings from the RT-N66U to see what country codes are set by default?

Is there any way to read the bootloader settings from the RT-N66U to see what country codes are set by default?

In SSH;

Code:
strings /dev/mtd0 | grep 0:ccode

Connection Issues after Upgrade

I upgraded both of my 66U's to the .44 last night and started to experience dropping connections. I did a reset, reloaded the firmware and config, and still had the same issue. The Laptop would connect to the router, stay connected for 3-5 minutes and then bounce to the other router (other side of the house). If I tried to reconnect, it would not connect to the primary router (in the same room as the PC) and would only connect to the weaker signal.

I downgraded to .43 and router is rock solid, I connect fast and say connected.

I ran out of time to do more diagnostics. I plan to try again when I have a bit more time to play.

JDB

I'm not going to go into the whole worsened wireless performance some discuss (SDK5 vs SDK6) because as long as the latest firmware, either from you, Merlin, or from Asus, is secure and works as intended (no bugs) then I'm happy. Obviously one cannot account for everyone as the situation is different from person to person (some only use the router as a basic router, some use it with an USB plugged into it, some use it as a VPN etc.).

This new firmware seems to be working great for me . . . Thanks Merlin.

I have noticed a couple of small bugs.

The first is in the client list, some devices that are wireless change to wired after a period of time as well some devices are incorrectly named. Sometimes the name of the device before is repeated for the next device. I think these were identified earlier by someone else and are related to the new ASUS code which you are letting ASUS correct.

The second bug is in parental control under the DNS Filtering tab. When I click on the Clients Name drop down the client list is all garbled. Device names seem to overlap with the mac address and wrap over lines. I am using the latest version of Chrome. I included a screenshot.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• router.png
    router.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 555
I upgraded both of my 66U's to the .44 last night and started to experience dropping connections. I did a reset, reloaded the firmware and config, and still had the same issue. The Laptop would connect to the router, stay connected for 3-5 minutes and then bounce to the other router (other side of the house). If I tried to reconnect, it would not connect to the primary router (in the same room as the PC) and would only connect to the weaker signal.

I downgraded to .43 and router is rock solid, I connect fast and say connected.

I ran out of time to do more diagnostics. I plan to try again when I have a bit more time to play.

JDB

How did you reload the config? From previous version? If so, try reconfiguring by hand.

Somewhere down the line, the wireless driver was shifted from EM to standard build. The advice always was to clear nvram and configure by hand when the switch was made. Obviously, since we switched unknowingly, there might be some erroneous value in nvram which is playing havoc with your router.

My n66u has been rock stable since the upgrade, but I cleared nvram before and after and redid the config by hand.

How did you reload the config? From previous version? If so, try reconfiguring by hand.

Somewhere down the line, the wireless driver was shifted from EM to standard build. The advice always was to clear nvram and configure by hand when the switch was made. Obviously, since we switched unknowingly, there might be some erroneous value in nvram which is playing havoc with your router.

My n66u has been rock stable since the upgrade, but I cleared nvram before and after and redid the config by hand.

He mentioned he did a factory reset that clears nvram.

He mentioned he did a factory reset that clears nvram.

Yes, but he also states that he reloaded the config. That is what I'm wondering about.

Reloading the config from a previous version renders the clearing of nvram useless, unless values were corrupted to start with. Could be an old setting that is in the way.

Last edited:
The first is in the client list, some devices that are wireless change to wired after a period of time as well some devices are incorrectly named. Sometimes the name of the device before is repeated for the next device. I think these were identified earlier by someone else and are related to the new ASUS code which you are letting ASUS correct.
The wireless devices showing as wired once they disconnect is a known issue with Asus's new Networkmap code.

The second bug is in parental control under the DNS Filtering tab. When I click on the Clients Name drop down the client list is all garbled. Device names seem to overlap with the mac address and wrap over lines. I am using the latest version of Chrome. I included a screenshot.

I'll take a look.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!