What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.45 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been running this firmware for a little over a day without any issues. However, I just saw this in the System Log from this afternoon. Anyone know what this is? I looked it up on the internet and it sounds like capturing packets for analysis, but I've never seen this in my System Log before, on any version of firmware (Asus or Merlin).

Aug 19 18:11:29 kernel: device br0 entered promiscuous mode
Aug 19 18:11:35 kernel: device br0 left promiscuous mode

I've been running this firmware for a little over a day without any issues. However, I just saw this in the System Log from this afternoon. Anyone know what this is? I looked it up on the internet and it sounds like capturing packets for analysis, but I've never seen this in my System Log before, on any version of firmware (Asus or Merlin).

Aug 19 18:11:29 kernel: device br0 entered promiscuous mode
Aug 19 18:11:35 kernel: device br0 left promiscuous mode

It's normal, and has always been there.

Thanks Merlin; since I've never seen that log entry before, given the name, it sounded kind of ominous! :eek:

If you don't mind me asking, in general, what is it about?

Upgraded from .44 to .45 without issue so far on my AC68u. Wifi is same which is good. I noticed streaming videos doesn't studder with universal beamforming disabled on 2.4ghz for me.

Downloaded and installed. Like the new interface. Noticed no change on the wifi but is still incredible.

ALMOST willing to install the printer into the USB port again. ALMOST. I still have nightmares from last time.....

Can someone append the 'Driver version' string from the Tools tab for 376.45? Thanks!

Can someone append the 'Driver version' string from the Tools tab for 376.45? Thanks!
Is this what you need?

Driver version
wl0: Apr 25 2014 11:16:33 version 6.37.14.86 (r456083)

RT-N16 Download Master problem

Hi guys, and thanks merlin for all your work!
I've upgrade my rt-n16 from ddwrt to latest merlin firmware 376_45, all works well and my only problem is that when add torrent in download master then do not start to downloading, i've tried with a lot of torrent from public and private trackers but it's the same, in the information torrent of DM i see 0 peers, but if use utorrent with same torrent the download start normally.
Can you help me please?
Thanks (and sorry for my english..)

AC56U with 376.45 firmware (upgraded from 376.44).

I have a strange problem with the attached USB3 storage (a WD 500GB 7200rpm in a Zalman VE-300 enclosure, NTFS partition). 2.4GHz and USB3 interference disabled. Storage is connected at USB3 speed as indicated by enclosure display and confirmed by related entries in syslog. Intel AC7260 client connected at 866Mbps.

When copying files from/to router storage I have:

Wireless
Write (PC to storage): 24-28 MB/s
Read (storage to PC): 33-35 MB/s

Wired
Write (PC to storage): 41-43 MB/s
Read (storage to PC): 49-51 MB/s

Tests were done using 1GB file. The difference between wireless and wired speeds is a little bit puzzling because is clear that the storage is not the bottleneck in this case and also is not a wireless throughput problem hence the 33-35MB/s speed when copying from router to PC.

What can be the problem here?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks Merlin; since I've never seen that log entry before, given the name, it sounded kind of ominous! :eek:

If you don't mind me asking, in general, what is it about?

promiscuous mode means the interface will pass all received packets to the CPU rather than just those it was expected to receive. This is normal for a software bridge as is used by the router to put the switch + both wifi interfaces together, so everything can talk together.

AC56U with 376.45 firmware (upgraded from 376.44).

I have a strange problem with the attached USB3 storage (a WD 500GB 7200rpm in a Zalman VE-300 enclosure, NTFS partition). 2.4GHz and USB3 interference disabled. Storage is connected at USB3 speed as indicated by enclosure display and confirmed by related entries in syslog. Intel AC7260 client connected at 866Mbps.

When copying files from/to router storage I have:

Wireless
Write (PC to storage): 24-28 MB/s
Read (storage to PC): 33-35 MB/s

Wired
Write (PC to storage): 41-43 MB/s
Read (storage to PC): 49-51 MB/s

Tests were done using 1GB file. The difference between wireless and wired speeds is a little bit puzzling because is clear that the storage is not the bottleneck in this case and also is not a wireless throughput problem hence the 33-35MB/s speed when copying from router to PC.

What can be the problem here?

Thanks.

You are getting around 300 Mbps when transferring over wifi, which is pretty much the norm for an Intel AC7260.

I'm not debating the bandwidth here but the write speed inconsistence between wireless and wired tests. Both the router and the AC7260 are clearly capable to transfer data at 35MB/s wireless...

What about those log entries about
"received packet with own address on eth1 interface" ?
On this interface i have my desktop which does not have any wifi capabilities whatsoever.

I'm not debating the bandwidth here but the write speed inconsistence between wireless and wired tests. Both the router and the AC7260 are clearly capable to transfer data at 35MB/s wireless...

It makes sense.

Remember write is not instantaneous. Your data flies to the storage at 35MB/s but still needs time to write to the disk. Your measurement is measuring the data transfer plus the data write-to-disk time. Otherwise there would have been no difference between your measured read and write speed in either case.

promiscuous mode means the interface will pass all received packets to the CPU rather than just those it was expected to receive. This is normal for a software bridge as is used by the router to put the switch + both wifi interfaces together, so everything can talk together.
Thanks Merlin, I appreciate your taking the time to explain this!

Thanks...

...For this firmware, it just works... as opposed to the last few firmwares, that gave me low id's in µTorrent... I don't know what you have fixed, but it now works...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!