What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

An update to my problem with the system date not updating.
I tried with a firmware reflash and a factory reset with no success. Then I accessed my AC68U router through ssh and launched ntp, then a ctrl-c to exit the command and the system date immediately updated. this does not survive a reboot and the only way to update the system date is to follow the above procedure. This never happened me before, just with with this release.
It looks like the ntp server is not started. I run transmission on my usb disk with a swap partition enabled, but even disconnecting it after a reboot I loose the system date.
Merlin, can you give a look at this problem?

I have no problem with NTP here, so no idea what could be going on in your case.

A second issue I noticed after the hardware reset is that in samba now it is not possible to set the R/W attributes to new users on existing folders. The only way to get access to such folders is to log as admin.

I don't understand what you mean here. The only way to log onto the router is as an admin, so I don't see how else you might be trying to set permissions.

My Asus RT-AC87U use as Main router. Asus RT-AC66U use as Repeater mode. I have this problem with 376.47 firmware:

1. RT-AC66U can connect to RT-AC87U as Repeater on 5 GHz. But can't online internet or sometime online. I change to use 2.4 GHz, it work perfectly. I want to use 5 GHz for best speed.
2. RT-AC66U sometime fail on 5 GHz (as Repeater). It show "Channel 0" on 5 GHz. Can't fix via reboot. Must power off > power on to fix it.
3. RT-AC87U sometime fail on WAN > Port Forward. It must click "Apply" button again for fixed.

Can 376.48B1 firmware to fix problem ? Thank you very much, Merlin.

My Asus RT-AC87U use as Main router. Asus RT-AC66U use as Repeater mode. I have this problem with 376.47 firmware:

1. RT-AC66U can connect to RT-AC87U as Repeater on 5 GHz. But can't online internet or sometime online. I change to use 2.4 GHz, it work perfectly. I want to use 5 GHz for best speed.
2. RT-AC66U sometime fail on 5 GHz (as Repeater). It show "Channel 0" on 5 GHz. Can't fix via reboot. Must power off > power on to fix it.
3. RT-AC87U sometime fail on WAN > Port Forward. It must click "Apply" button again for fixed.

Can 376.48B1 firmware to fix problem ? Thank you very much, Merlin.

Repeater code is 100% unchanged from Asus, so I wouldn't expect any change in behaviour in 376.48.

No idea on the port forward, I can't really see why that would happen.

I can't reproduce it on my RT-AC56U either, so sounds like something localized. I recommend opening the web browser's error console to see if there's any Javascript error preventing the webui from fully loading.
I have tried the developer mode from Firefox and Chrome, they didn't give any errors.

I just tried to revert back to 376.47, and now it will display both 2.4 and 5 GHz again normal, so in my opinion it must be related to this beta.

I have never done a factory reset to this router.

An update to my problem with the system date not updating.
I tried with a firmware reflash and a factory reset with no success. Then I accessed my AC68U router through ssh and launched ntp, then a ctrl-c to exit the command and the system date immediately updated. this does not survive a reboot and the only way to update the system date is to follow the above procedure. This never happened me before, just with with this release.
It looks like the ntp server is not started. I run transmission on my usb disk with a swap partition enabled, but even disconnecting it after a reboot I loose the system date.
Merlin, can you give a look at this problem?

i have the same problem time is stuck on sat, jan 01 1:00:00 2011

how do one launch ntp from ssh

I have no problem with NTP here, so no idea what could be going on in your case.
Can you tell me how to use the NTP command without having to press [ctrl]+c to exit, or how to start/restart the NTP Daemon? I may add the command in a startup script or, just to be safe, add it to S95Transmission script to solve my problem. In any case, I'm not sure, but chances there are that the problem is related to the italian language and/or the italian timezone. I normally use the modem set to english, but the timezone set to Rome. Only one time I saw the system time updated when I switched from the english language to italian, but this did not survive a reboot.

I don't understand what you mean here. The only way to log onto the router is as an admin, so I don't see how else you might be trying to set permissions.
In SAMBA and FTP panels there is the possibility to add new users/accounts and then set their permission on the shared folders. The setting permissions feature does not work on both panels, at least on my AC68U. In the past they worked flawlessly. Unfortunately I can't say exactly from which version the problem started, as I performed the last two or three upgrades without executing an hardware reset.

Last edited:
In SAMBA and FTP panels there is the possibility to add new users/accounts and then set their permission on the shared folders. The setting permissions feature does not work on both panels, at least on my AC68U. In the past they worked flawlessly. Unfortunately I can't say exactly from which version the problem started, as I performed the last two or three upgrades without executing an hardware reset.
Additionaly i can't create new folders on shared(connected) drive

But For my N66W This problem solve in 376.47

I have never done a factory reset to this router.

There's a good chance that this is the reason then. A few months ago, there was a bug in Asus's code that would randomly trash one nvram setting with an invalid value. In recent revisions, that setting is used by the webui to determine which bands are supported by the router. My guess is, you have that corrupted setting, and since you've never done any factory default reset, it's biting you back.

You can try manually fixing it by using the following commands:

Code:
nvram set wl1_nband=1
nvram set wl0_nband=2
nvram commit

Then try re-accessing that page.

Code:
service restart_time

Additionaly i can't create new folders on shared(connected) drive

But For my N66W This problem solve in 376.47

Which filesystem are you using, and what size is the HDD?

Bug in this build, for me. I switched from Asus 376 build.

Under Advanced > Wireless > General, I can only choose frequency 5 GHz. But, the settings are for 2,4 GHz.

Both networks works fine though. As can be seen under System Log > Wireless Log.

Tried reboot but it didn't help.

Edit: Oops, did now see that this was already reported. Could not see anything in browser console. I can also add that I have first switched from previous merlin version to this beta, then this didn't happen. Then I installed the official Asus because I had a problem that I wanted to check if it was the same with merlin (which it was) and then I re-installed the beta and I got this problem. Did a factory reset and that fixed it.

Last edited:
Code:
service restart_time

that dosnt work its still thinking its 2011 01/01 it newer updates the time.

it disconnects my ssh connecting and writes this in the log.
Jan 1 01:12:34 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2
Jan 1 01:12:34 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2 (2014-10-18 19:29:08 EDT)
Jan 1 01:12:34 dropbear[616]: Running in background
Jan 1 01:12:34 RT-AC66U: start httpd - SSL
Jan 1 01:12:34 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq[464]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq[621]: started, version 2.72test3 cachesize 1500
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq[621]: warning: interface ppp1* does not currently exist
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq[621]: asynchronous logging enabled, queue limit is 5 messages
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[621]: DHCP, IP range 192.168.1.2 -- 192.168.1.254, lease time 1d
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq[621]: read /etc/hosts - 9 addresses
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq[621]: read /etc/hosts.dnsmasq - 8 addresses
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[621]: read /etc/ethers - 8 addresses
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq[621]: using nameserver 8.8.8.8#53
Jan 1 01:12:34 dnsmasq[621]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Jan 1 01:12:40 dropbear[635]: Child connection from 192.168.1.58:55342
Jan 1 01:12:42 dropbear[635]: Password auth succeeded for 'admin' from 192.168.1.58:55342

Last edited:

Can you successfully ping the ntp server or any other sites from router?

These seem to be two separate issues then, one having to deal with the visibility (it works fine for me under 8.1, I'll have to test my Win7 laptop when I get back home), and another having to deal with management of the user/password database.

Merlin,

If it's help in Samba bug list some topic by "auth_util.c" serch string

Click Here

Double check your NTP server then. If in doubt, enter its IP instead of its hostname. Some people mentionned in the past that they were having trouble when using a hostname as their NTP server.

Double check your NTP server then. If in doubt, enter its IP instead of its hostname. Some people mentionned in the past that they were having trouble when using a hostname as their NTP server.

it dodsnt work with the ip either it worked in 376.47 but it wont work in 376.48b1
i have even tryed to reset the router and then setting everything up from scratch
downgradet to 376.47 and it youst works

youst noticed that i didnt get the message about the router being the domain master browser in 376.48b1
but i do in 376.47

now back on 376.47 until merlin fixes the time bug

Last edited:

Just write ntp at command prompt: this command will give no response nor returns a prompt but leaves you the ability to write on the terminal. I tried to write some random commands, help included, with no help, but, magically, after you exit with a [ctrl]+c you get again the prompt and the system date updates.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that the ntp command leaves the terminal in a dumb mode I'm not confident in adding it to a startup script.

it dodsnt work with the ip either it worked in 376.47 but it wont work in 376.48b1
i have even tryed to reset the router and then setting everything up from scratch
downgradet to 376.47 and it youst works

What type of WAN interface do you have with your ISP?

youst noticed that i didnt get the message about the router being the domain master browser in 376.48b1
but i do in 376.47

Could simply be a change in logging.

now back on 376.47 until merlin fixes the time bug

So far I cannot reproduce the problem here, and it seems to only happen with a very small number of users, so I'll need more info to figure out what might be causing it. There's something particular to your setup (yours and the 1-2 others with the same issue), we need to figure out what's common between you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!