What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmallNetGuy: "Just one question though... in order to be able to connect to modem's config page, I'd need to use 192.168.1.1, and that's my router's address too."

SmallNetGuy, you are giving the impression that
(1) you have 2 different devices on your network with the same IP address on your local network. This is a fundamental and glaring address clash that I cannot imagine you would put off fixing--before asking about changing anything else about your setup in order to properly access those devices' configuration pages.
(2) you are having trouble browsing to either or both of those devices' configuration pages from some local network browser, and
(3) your question is how to make it so that you browse to the config page of the now-inaccessible device(s) and
(4) you don't know how to do this and want help and
(5) you were somehow able to reach the now-inaccessible device(s) while running an older version of Merlin firmware

You have a glaringly mis-configured network with 2 devices having the same IP address. That is a fundamental problem no matter what router or firmware you are using.

Thus it makes more sense to reconfigure one or more of your LAN devices to fix the IP address clash (perhaps by starting a thread in some more generic forum in which you ask people for help in fixing this fundamental problem).

Do this before focusing on the oddity that you had some temporary ability to navigate to your mis-configured devices while you were running some particular version of Merlin firmware. I.e. do this for your own sake, also do this before asking Merlin users who are discussing Merlin-firmware-version-specific issures for premature attention.

Howdy folks,

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48_3 (MIPS) and 376.48_1 (ARM) is now available for download. The biggest change in this release was the upgrade of the old Samba 3.0.x package with the latest from the Samba 3 series (3.6.24). Note that while this might introduce a slight decrease in SMB throughput on some models, it should overall help with the interoperability with various SMB clients, and general security.

Highlights of the changes:

• Merged with Asus's 3.0.0.4.376_2769 GPL code.
  • Samba 3.0.x upgraded to 3.6.24. Performance will be slightly reduced on some routers. Note that support for the SMB 2.02 dialect is disabled by default, as enabling it introduces a 10% performance hit on file sharing. If you need to enable it, you can do by setting the smbd_enable_smb2 nvram setting to 1.
  • Various other components were also updated. Miniupnpd was updated to 1.9 (including one post-1.9 fix). This might possibly help some consoles who are quirky about their port forwarding support. Dropbear was also updated to 2014.66.
  • In the security department, OpenSSL was updated 1.0.0o. Also, support for SSLv2 and SSLv3 was dropped (the latter to protect against POODLE attacks). Now, only TLS 1.0 is supported, which will be fine for anything newer than IE6.
  • SNMP support was greatly enhanced, by enabling numerous common modules.
  • minidlna once again handles new files notification through inotify. It is now compiled with its own static copy of sqlite with threadsafe support, which is required for inotify to work. The DPI engine can keep using the shared version with threadsafe support disabled.
  • A lot of fixes were applied all over the place (see the complete changelog for the details)
  • Officially list the RT-AC68P as being supported.
  • 376.48_3: Backport NAT Loopback fix for MIPS models from Asus's 3626 code

Note: Previous firmwares (both Asuswrt-Merlin and stock Asus) suffered from a bug where some nvram settings might end up being corrupted, which can lead to the loss of the 2.4 or 5 GHz settings on the webui with newer firmwares. To fix the issue, either do a factory default reset, or run the following commands over SSH:

Code:
nvram set wl0_nband=2
nvram set wl1_nband=1
nvram commit

The actual bug was fixed both on my end and by Asus a few releases ago, however the corrupted setting will cause issues starting with newer firmware versions if not corrected.

Just to make this clear: this is not a new bug! It's an old one, already fixed long ago, but which is causing issues with the new code that relies on this setting.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

SHA256 hashes:
Code:
d5a7ff0ed1bfcf24fadd5fe036f377703255838312dcf80ff3af181cb63d80dd  RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1.trx
533063bb28302c301e1f04a1685e31351818a3a57018d23dff48d8a85ab54426  RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1.trx
d89e85a0056b351ab5e2bd69e6fcd9e543f882c61cb121eb62011b0a35e2fc6b  RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1.trx

edb88664339a4ace6128e225bd1ba03097d9f6f41ead838a9bcc765e77b5b173  RT-N16_3.0.0.4_376.48_3.trx
7c671b58111a83c94e2c3cce318c246aea90005103afcc3aea20a1cafa9fb5f7  RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_3.trx
fc06e389824f30579e72f3d73f050ee85b980247584ad80841bdd801b1905bca  RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_3.trx

First of all, I want to thank you for the tremendous job you do on the firmware. I am also somewhat of a noob, even though I began building wired networks in the late 90's. I previously had a N66 with Merlin on it and it worked so much better than stock. Recently I upgraded to a AC68 which was immediately updated to 3636 upon initializing for the network. Being a fan of Merlin firmware I flashed to 48.1. I did the usual manual reboot by disconnecting the power since my reset button does not appear to work. There are some issues and I have had to reflash to 3626. They major issue is the constant rebooting. In the first couple hours of use on 48.1, I loose the wireless networks almost every 5 min. Looking at the log, it appears the AC68 reboots itself also each time wireless goes down. I also noticed on the status page that both cores appear to be running almost full out most of the time, along with the memory almost completely utilized all the time. I read in another thread the core and memory use is supposed to do this with 48.1, yet does not come close to those numbers with 3626. What am I doing wrong? or am I not leaving enough "Burn In Time" for the firmware to take full effect. I have also found using the ASUS network tools, ping time is in the 60 to 80 ms range using 48.1, while around 25 ms with 3626 using wireless usually 5.0. Any ideas? Thanks for all you do.

First of all, I want to thank you for the tremendous job you do on the firmware. I am also somewhat of a noob, even though I began building wired networks in the late 90's. I previously had a N66 with Merlin on it and it worked so much better than stock. Recently I upgraded to a AC68 which was immediately updated to 3636 upon initializing for the network. Being a fan of Merlin firmware I flashed to 48.1. I did the usual manual reboot by disconnecting the power since my reset button does not appear to work. There are some issues and I have had to reflash to 3626. They major issue is the constant rebooting. In the first couple hours of use on 48.1, I loose the wireless networks almost every 5 min. Looking at the log, it appears the AC68 reboots itself also each time wireless goes down. I also noticed on the status page that both cores appear to be running almost full out most of the time, along with the memory almost completely utilized all the time. I read in another thread the core and memory use is supposed to do this with 48.1, yet does not come close to those numbers with 3626. What am I doing wrong? or am I not leaving enough "Burn In Time" for the firmware to take full effect. I have also found using the ASUS network tools, ping time is in the 60 to 80 ms range using 48.1, while around 25 ms with 3626 using wireless usually 5.0. Any ideas? Thanks for all you do.

I suspect your issues come from a plugged USB disk. Try without any of them plugged in. If it works reliably, start looking at the media files on it - there might be a corrupted file that causes minidlna or mt-daapd to crash, taking down the router with them. Also plug the disk to a PC to run a filesystem check.

I suspect your issues come from a plugged USB disk. Try without any of them plugged in. If it works reliably, start looking at the media files on it - there might be a corrupted file that causes minidlna or mt-daapd to crash, taking down the router with them. Also plug the disk to a PC to run a filesystem check.

Thanks for your response. I will give it a try

RT-AC66U, Firmware :376.48_3 External flash

Hello!

Router RT-AC66U, Firmware :376.48_3.

With mounted FlasDrive does not worked properly some shell commands like ls

mc show all folders and files properly.
I first time upgraded router to Merlin's firmware from dd-wrt.
On router use OpenVPN, Dual WAN, FTP.

It's my first post and I can't copy/paste shell output of ls command. Please check
attachment.php

If umount FlashDrive all commands work properly, e2fsck or reboot don't take effect.
If re-format on PC all partitions on FlashDrive, then again all work properly up to first reboot.
I can't create new thread, but I look forward to help.

Attachments

• ScreenShot-2014-12-16 16:32:31.png
    ScreenShot-2014-12-16 16:32:31.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 960
With mounted FlasDrive does not worked properly some shell commands like ls

mc show all folders and files properly.
I first time upgraded router to Merlin's firmware from dd-wrt.
On router use OpenVPN, Dual WAN, FTP.
It looks like you're running a different shell. Have you changed the shell or installed optware/entware?

It looks like you're running a different shell. Have you changed the shell or installed optware/entware?
No, by default used standatd shell /bin/sh

[admin@kgw root]$ echo $0
-sh

But if I run /opt/bun/bash the result is the same.

UPDATE: Solved by removing OptWare and install Entware

Last edited:
Hi, Merlin
I'm one of the unfortunate owners with rt-ac56u, that updated to the faulty 3602. Since there is no official fix for my router, I started looking for alternatives. I see you have already betas of 376_49 which is based on the asus fixed build as far as I undersatnd. Is there any ETA, when we can expect 376_49 final, which will make all of us - the rt-ac56u owners happy again :) ?

RMerlin....Thanks for your help. Works great after removing my drive before the reflash.

Hi, Merlin
I'm one of the unfortunate owners with rt-ac56u, that updated to the faulty 3602. Since there is no official fix for my router, I started looking for alternatives. I see you have already betas of 376_49 which is based on the asus fixed build as far as I undersatnd. Is there any ETA, when we can expect 376_49 final, which will make all of us - the rt-ac56u owners happy again :) ?

Probably in the coming days, I need to do the final testing on the various models.

Hi RMerlin,

Can you please have a look for this issue [1] if you can reproduce it or fix it.

Basically if you have Mac filter it's affect the guest network too. It was not the case for me before with all your builds for AC66

Thanks in advance ;)

[1] http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=153192&postcount=306

That was already fixed about two weeks ago:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/68d48ee323f59c6659473050ed0e3f91065fc236

The fact it didn't affect it previously was actually a bug, where it was completely ignoring the setting of Guest filtering.

Hello,
On Safari (8.0.2(Yosemite)), with a RT-AC68U, the Network Map don't work, I have always the same text for DDNS and I don't have USB icons.

On my iPad, all work. The same strange bug are present in the latest Asus firmware.

Merlin_Safari.jpg

RMerlin note, if a page http://192.168.1.1/device-map/clients.asp change any values (for example: client icon) on the page http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp in "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list" in the "Name" becomes empty. This is seen even from alpha_1.
Router RT-AC56U.

Thanks, fixed with https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/d6b158521cda48a41b78dca409a42d9f9522bfaa .

As an added bonus, creating a new reservation from the new client list will also use the current client name as its hostname.

Hello,
On Safari (8.0.2(Yosemite)), with a RT-AC68U, the Network Map don't work, I have always the same text for DDNS and I don't have USB icons.
On my iPad, all work. The same strange bug are present in the latest Asus firmware.
Working fine on my end with Safari 8.0.2 on Yosemite, except I have AC56U, but don't think it should matter.
Are you having this issue on your Mac only in Safari? What about other browsers?
Clearing the cache might help.

Last edited:
Working fine on my end with Safari 8.0.2 on Yosemite, except I have AC56U, but don't think it should matter.
Are you having this issue on your Mac only in Safari? What about other browsers?
Maybe clearing the cache will help.

:eek: Ho, I run some cache cleaner with Onyx and it's work now... sorry for that. Thank for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!