What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New/old gui bug

Hi, can't greet you enough RMerlin, great jobb.

I have forgotten to report a bug i stumbled upon a few versions back. I don't remember witch version it started occuring. When adding a device on wifi mac filters (5ghz page) the names set on current devices gets renamed to mac adresses in filter list when adding another one. Anyone that can confirm? I am running a ac66u.

Not a big bug but still annoying.

Just installed and went through the settings and everything was good. I got to the media server part and tried to designate which folders I wanted visible and when you apply the settings and the router finishes applying the settings you lose the ability to see the settings or make additional settings.

This was seen on macbook pro using safari.

For RT-AC87U owners: I did a quick recompile of the firmware with the newest Quantenna SDK taken from the recent Asus release (since updating the SDK was a fairly simple thing to do). Grab it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5z5zlb4z6yz412e/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5_newqtn.zip

This uses the new Quantenna v36.7.0.31 driver which should resolve compatibility issues with Apple devices. Asus recommends doing a factory default reset when updating to this new driver - I suggest people first test it without doing so. If you still have connectivity issues with your Apple devices, then go ahead and do the recommended factory default reset + manual reconfiguration.

Been running it on my own router for the past few hours now while using the laptop connected over 5 GHz wifi without any problem.

Just to benefit other users, I updated to 3.0.0.4.376.49_5_newqtn my RT-AC87R, did not reset to defaults, did a manual reboot and so far see no problems connecting my clients, Windows, iPhone and MacAir.

@RMerlin I also noticed an increase in 5G WifI speed ~15% - does it make sense after this upgrade?

Thx

I flashed 376.49_4 on my RT-AC68U and it seems very stable so far.

The wifi speeds seem good. Very good even.

Are there anything in this FW from the japanese-only FW? I don't think Asus released a japanese exclusive before...

Sorry to double post but latency issue with AC56U

Hello all,

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue I have with the new firmware 376.49_4 for my Asus AC56U. I am unsure when this issue occurred but it wasn't visible prior to the firmware upgrade. By visible, I noticed stuttering with the picture/audio on my IPTV set top boxes. With 1 set top box on, the router has expected ping times. With 2 set top boxes on, the router starts spiking to >500 ms ping times causing issues with the picture and audio.

Just to clarify, I had a constant ping going from my laptop to the router during a transfer.

I believe the issue is with large transfers causing the router to bog right down to triple digit ping times. We are talking about > 500 ms and higher during a download or upload through the WAN (I haven't tested LAN transfer latency yet). This also happens during a speed test and is my diagnosing technique. When the download or upload finishes then the ping times stay between < 1 ms to = 1 ms. Occasionally it will spike to single and double digit ping times, it is very inconsistent.

- I am hooked up directly to the router through CAT5 to eliminate the chance it is my switch.
- I had performed a factory reset and a NVRAM reset through holding the WPS button while booting
- I had power cycled the router after flashing the firmware
- I had tried reverting back to 376.48_0 with the same issue
- I had turned off NAT Acceleration which helps a tiny bit but the latency is still > 500 ms
- I had turned off Firewall SPI but it offers no change
- I monitored the CPU and RAM usage and they are not bottlenecked
- I had tested with a different router and large transfers do not cause the latency to spike, it remains < 1 ms throughout the transfer

The only thing I have not tried yet is reverting back to factory Asus firmware but I was hoping to get advice and suggestions.

Thank you!

I recently upgraded my from RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.41_0 to RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_4 with no issues, using Open VPN server, Media Server and Port forwarding.

I've been reading about bad wifi speeds, but I have not noticed any! I'm getting 85-90 Mbps (136 local) on 5ghz and around 30 Mbps on 2.4

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it seems that the Media Server sometimes lists the first item in a folder twice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Same wifi issue with 3754 (I did a reset again).

Yup, I can confirm. iOS 8 devices work fine for awhile and then they just stall for about 5 minutes. They are connected to the router but can't go anywhere in Safari or place a FaceTime call or check emal etc. Then all of a sudden they start working again. This only happened with the new firmware that contains the updated driver, Merlins 49_5 and 3754. 49_4 works fine as well as the previous ASUS builds concerning my iOS devices. Factory reset , clear NVRam in telet after the firmware was installed. My devices that have exhibited this behaviour include the following: iPad 3, iPad Air 2, and 2 iPhone 6's. It's amazing that the new driver fixes osx devices but breaks iOS devices.

I have numerous users with working IPv6 on Comcast and 376.49, so I'd double check your configuration. Some people also resolved Comcast-specific issues in the past by also turning their modem off for 5-10 mins to fully reset their connection.

I apologize for taking so long at getting back, busy with the RW and such great stuff.

So after about 4 factory resets, leaving the modem & router off overnight, uploading various ASUS and Asuswrt-Merlin firmwares numerous times, I think I've got it figured out as something between my ISP (Comcast) and modem (Arris SB6183). For some reason it goes nuts between 8pm & 12am my time and I get intermittent or slow connectivity, when everything settles down I'm down to 8 channels instead of my normal 16. Usually I end up doing a soft reboot of the modem first thing when I get up in the morning and get the 16 channels back.

I've tried chatting with someone online in Comcast a couple of times, but got the usual scripted responses. Eventually I ended up resetting the modem to factory default configuration and a soft reboot, but today is the first time I've gotten all channels AND IPv6 back without rolling back to 376.48_3. The SNR for channel 13 (28.5-30.6) is noticeably lower than the rest (36.8-37.1), I'm wondering if this isn't the issue causing my IPv6 heartaches.

We'll see what happens tonight. :D

Yup, I can confirm. iOS 8 devices work fine for awhile and then they just stall for about 5 minutes. They are connected to the router but can't go anywhere in Safari or place a FaceTime call or check emal etc. Then all of a sudden they start working again. This only happened with the new firmware that contains the updated driver, Merlins 49_5 and 3754. 49_4 works fine as well as the previous ASUS builds concerning my iOS devices. Factory reset , clear NVRam in telet after the firmware was installed. My devices that have exhibited this behaviour include the following: iPad 3, iPad Air 2, and 2 iPhone 6's. It's amazing that the new driver fixes osx devices but breaks iOS devices.

I have this issue since when I bought the router (november).

2769, Merlin releases , beta releases, 3754... None of them solves my problem.

Great ! lastest Merlin 49.5 with new Quantenna firmware for RT-AC87U. I can use RT-AC66U in Repeater mode (5 GHz) connect to RT-AC87U. Other firmware can connect only 2.4 GHz. Thank you very much.

I have this issue since when I bought the router (november).

2769, Merlin releases , beta releases, 3754... None of them solves my problem.

Apologies if you've already done this, but have you done a factory reset of the networking on the IOS devices?

I experienced the similar with my IPad minis and a couple of Iphone 6s.
After upgrading to first beta release and then latest Merlin alongside factory resetting the networking on the devices I've experienced no problems.

Last edited:
Regulation mode

Ijust bougth a rt-ac87u and flashed Firmware:376.49_5_newqtn.

One thing i noticed is that Regulation mode is missing from Professional settings in both Bands, is this normal in this router?
Apart from that everything is running smooth.
Thanks Merlin.

Ijust bougth a rt-ac87u and flashed Firmware:376.49_5_newqtn.

One thing i noticed is that Regulation mode is missing from Professional settings in both Bands, is this normal in this router?
Apart from that everything is running smooth.
Thanks Merlin.

I can see Regulation mode for 2.4GHz bands but not for 5GHz, same 376.49_5_newqtn firmware on an RT-AC87U.

I can see Regulation mode for 2.4GHz bands but not for 5GHz, same 376.49_5_newqtn firmware on an RT-AC87U.
Weird, factory reset and all. thanks

Last edited:
Aplogies if you've already done this, but have you done a factory reset of the networking on the IOS devices?

After upgrading to first beta release and then latest Merlin alongside factory resetting the networking on the devices I've experienced no problems.

I'll try (reset network settings).

Thank you!

Kind of a last resort for iOS devices is a "restore" install through iTunes. After doing this, I would bring back apps and data manually, rather than using a backup that you had stored on iTunes or iCloud. Unless the backup was made before you had problems.

Just a thought, this has helped me a couple of times.

I've tried chatting with someone online in Comcast a couple of times, but got the usual scripted responses. Eventually I ended up resetting the modem to factory default configuration and a soft reboot, but today is the first time I've gotten all channels AND IPv6 back without rolling back to 376.48_3. The SNR for channel 13 (28.5-30.6) is noticeably lower than the rest (36.8-37.1), I'm wondering if this isn't the issue causing my IPv6 heartaches.

We'll see what happens tonight. :D

Must have missed something here...if you're in the US you should only have 11 channels on 2.4GHz. So what do you have your wireless locale set to? Part of your problem, if you've tried to switch locales to get the extra channels, could be conflicting configuration settings since there are several, where you haven't switched over all the configuration settings that you need to switch to fully get your 13 channels. If this is what you've done (I have no way of knowing, other than channel 13 sounded kind of odd for Arizona *smile*), I'd suggest resetting to factory defaults, and then manually reconfiguring it for your locale and go with the 11 channels that the rest of us have *smile*.

Just a thought. And your choice, of course *smile*.

Apologies if you've already done this, but have you done a factory reset of the networking on the IOS devices?

I've done this on all 4 of my iOS devices and even erased and installed iOS 8.1.2 on one of my iPhone 6's. Same stalled Internet problem occurs. I believe it is the new driver because I didn't have these problems before.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!