What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wifi dropping clients

Had an issue with the Asus Firmware back in the summer - clients on wifi would occasionally lose connectivity - almost as if traffic not routing properly.

Anyway, that's been 100% fixed since I stuck Merlin FW on there..

Until the latest release 376.49 (376.49.4 to be exact)... Original problem has resurfaced.. Only thing I can see in the changelog is the max lease calc code is back to asus..

I originally (in the summer) noticed it more when more clients/heavy traffic was in use..

I also this time have enabled QoS again - I'll revert that and try just in case that's an issue.

Anyone else seeing any behaviour like this? Wired clients seem fine - which points me to wireless being the issue.. I'll try check logs next time it happens - appears to be random - but something must be causing it.

Anyone else?

Suggestion

Probably wrong place to post this but...

Any way a 'Save Settings as text' (and load of course) could be implemented? Whereby it saves all settings as a text based config file.

Would be useful for anyone doing an upgrade who also wants to reset to defaults - but easily importing all their connectivity details/forwards/statics etc
As a text based file, any erroneous entries could be removed/edited by the user.

Thanks

Had an issue with the Asus Firmware back in the summer - clients on wifi would occasionally lose connectivity - almost as if traffic not routing properly.

Anyway, that's been 100% fixed since I stuck Merlin FW on there..

Until the latest release 376.49 (376.49.4 to be exact)... Original problem has resurfaced.. Only thing I can see in the changelog is the max lease calc code is back to asus..

I originally (in the summer) noticed it more when more clients/heavy traffic was in use..

I also this time have enabled QoS again - I'll revert that and try just in case that's an issue.

Anyone else seeing any behaviour like this? Wired clients seem fine - which points me to wireless being the issue.. I'll try check logs next time it happens - appears to be random - but something must be causing it.

Anyone else?
Do you have "Keyword Filter" Enabled? I have a similar issue and I may believe it's the keyword filter. Can Hou confirm if it's ENABLED

so after now almost 6 month beta testing the R7500 I got now back to my Asus RT-AC56U. Still like the router but its disappointing to see that Asus screwed up the LTE/3G even more as the last time I used it. 6 month and they did not fix anythink for this.....

@RMerlin its not against you, I still love your builds and will stay on the old build where it was working. Anyway is there a method than I can build my own version / is there a build root or some like this ? I believe when I will remove some of the modules they are using I could probably be able to fix this by myself.....

PS. Found it on the wiki page so I will try my luck there and compile some stuff :)

Last edited:
Probably wrong place to post this but...

Any way a 'Save Settings as text' (and load of course) could be implemented? Whereby it saves all settings as a text based config file.

Would be useful for anyone doing an upgrade who also wants to reset to defaults - but easily importing all their connectivity details/forwards/statics etc
As a text based file, any erroneous entries could be removed/edited by the user.

Thanks

Connect through SSH, and run the following:

Code:
nvram show

Or redirect it to to a plugged USB disk:

Code:
nvram show | sort > /mnt/sda1/settings.txt

Adjust the path based on your disk's mountpoint if it's not sda1.

The 'nvram show' is a good way to save all the settings, but be aware of the following....

It also saves the 'special' router specific parameters, such as wireless control registers. If you use this as a restore basis, you'll override the effects of a reset to factor defaults.

Values containing a $ will be truncated at the $ if you try and restore it

Values containing a space or line feed must have the data enclosed in quotes to restore correctly (those containing a line feed will span multiple lines in the nvram show output).

The wiki link to the utility will handle all of the above.

For RT-AC87U owners: I did a quick recompile of the firmware with the newest Quantenna SDK taken from the recent Asus release (since updating the SDK was a fairly simple thing to do). Grab it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5z5zlb4z6yz412e/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5_newqtn.zip

This uses the new Quantenna v36.7.0.31 driver which should resolve compatibility issues with Apple devices. Asus recommends doing a factory default reset when updating to this new driver - I suggest people first test it without doing so. If you still have connectivity issues with your Apple devices, then go ahead and do the recommended factory default reset + manual reconfiguration.

Been running it on my own router for the past few hours now while using the laptop connected over 5 GHz wifi without any problem.

Just tried this on my router with a factory reset. I was able to get all of my devices working without a problem with the exception of my mid-2014 Macbook Pro. My Macbook Pro will connect and suddenly disconnect while in use. Restarting my Macbook usually gets me connected again until a disconnection occurs again. I'm not sure if the 2.4 GHz network is affected or not. I only tested the faster 5GHz network.

I also tried the newly released Asus firmware and found the same behavior to be present.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but the Asus firmware seems to be syncing with an NTP server more frequently and I have been unable to change the timezone. When I change the timezone from Central to Eastern a new DST menu appears that is not functional at all. It appears it wants you to set the DST start and end dates. Blank drop down menus appear for the month and day.

Last edited:
Issue Installing

I'm trying to install 376.49_4 to my AC68U and I keep getting this error when I hit upload, "Firmware upgrade unsuccessfully. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again." I have downloaded the image several times and checked that the SHA matches. This router is the T-Mobile branded TM-AC1900, but I flashed Merlin on it when I first got it (before TMo locked them down) and all flashes after have been successful. Am I missing something? Thank you for the assistance.

For RT-AC87U owners: I did a quick recompile of the firmware with the newest Quantenna SDK taken from the recent Asus release (since updating the SDK was a fairly simple thing to do). Grab it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5z5zlb4z6yz412e/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5_newqtn.zip

This uses the new Quantenna v36.7.0.31 driver which should resolve compatibility issues with Apple devices. Asus recommends doing a factory default reset when updating to this new driver - I suggest people first test it without doing so. If you still have connectivity issues with your Apple devices, then go ahead and do the recommended factory default reset + manual reconfiguration.

Been running it on my own router for the past few hours now while using the laptop connected over 5 GHz wifi without any problem.

I can finally use 5G on my macbook. I've been surfing for a few hours and no resolving host, having to reboot, reset pram and whatever else to get 5G to work. Thanks Merlin!!!

Asus 87R

Last edited:
It had been a long time since I last upgraded RMerlin firmware, and I just upgraded to 376.49.4

The first attempt through ssh soft-bricked the RT-N16. I was upgrading from 374.35

Code:
mtd-write -i /path/to/file.trx -d linux && reboot

After trying the WPS/reset/30-30-30 procedures, it finally entered recovery mode. I am on linux so just needed to install tftp, set IP to 192.168.1.2 I was able to flash 376.49.4

wz0ptnk.png

Somehow setting IP via command line wasn't working as the Power LED that should be blinking on and off every 3 seconds, would completely go off as soon as ping 192.168.1.1 was executed or tftp initiated.

Since I had just spent quite a bit of time because of the soft-brick, I thought I'd try to answer my own question I had posted a long time ago
Has anyone tried to port frater/hardwarewizard dd-wrt script to backup/restore nvram for RMerlin's firmware flashing? Maybe restoring to different router's maybe too cumbersome because of a few hardware specific variables, but I think it might come in handy to restore on own hardware.

nvaram backup scripts

So, yes I restored my settings from 374.35 to 376.49.4 straight after the flash and NVRAM reset via WPS button. I was prepared for a soft brick but so thankful I saved a copy of my settings just before I attempted the first firmware update via ssh. I have way too many settings I simply cannot do all over!

Sadly I still cannot figure out why my Ubuntu 14.10 HTPC is dropping the wireless connection. It all appeared to go fine for the first day, but after some large file high speed downloads via rtorrent and NZBGet yesterday, the UA600 Amped adapter keeps dropping connection now without even running rtorrent or NZBGet.

376.49_4 (N66U) is working well so far except for one thing. The UI for the DNS filter page is broken. Thanks for your continued development.

I have the problem with 376.49_4 in dual wan. I see this message

WAN(0) Connection: Detected that the WAN Connection Type was PPPoE. But the PPPoE Setting was not complete.
WAN(0) Connection: WAN was restored.

On 376.48_1 it does not appear. Also I see message about wrong ISP dhcp if dhcp on WAN enabled.

Do you have "Keyword Filter" Enabled? I have a similar issue and I may believe it's the keyword filter. Can Hou confirm if it's ENABLED

Confirm keywork filter was and still is switched off.. On another note however, I usually run with 5g OFF - after upgrading to this version my 5g was ON

I'm trying to install 376.49_4 to my AC68U and I keep getting this error when I hit upload, "Firmware upgrade unsuccessfully. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again." I have downloaded the image several times and checked that the SHA matches. This router is the T-Mobile branded TM-AC1900, but I flashed Merlin on it when I first got it (before TMo locked them down) and all flashes after have been successful. Am I missing something? Thank you for the assistance.

Something was changed in the firmware as I have the same issue. It only updates regular AC-68 which I also have. You can use 376.49.2 which works good. I posted this issue a few days ago, but no one seems interested to look into it or comment.

My iPhone 6 plus still have wifi issue with this firmware. it's so frustrating. :mad:

I did a reset with the Reset and Wps buttons.

Bad idea to buy this router (RT-AC87R). My old R7000 worked very well (unfortunately I sold).

Last edited:
Is there anyway we can get a SHA256 hash for the file? I always like assuring I have unmodified bits.

Thanks!
-GldnGrk

Code:
bf61213db2cc52956d33708690f5700b03c2f820c4f5e58771c805f62a5f484f  RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5_newqtn.trx

My iPhone 6 plus still have wifi issue with this firmware. it's so frustrating. :mad:

I did a reset with the Reset and Wps buttons.

Bad idea to buy this router (RT-AC87R). My old R7000 worked very well (unfortunately I sold).

Try Asus's latest firmware release then, in case part of the fix isn't just in the driver itself but in the rest of the firmware code.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!