What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin, do you have any plans to base next firmware version on:

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3754, released on 12th January
-Fixed infosvr security issue.
-Fixed Cross-site request forgery security issue

Especially seeing that they fixed infosvr security bug mentioned here.

Merlin has already patched that security issue in 376.49_5

Merlin, do you have any plans to base next firmware version on:

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3754, released on 12th January
-Fixed infosvr security issue.
-Fixed Cross-site request forgery security issue

Especially seeing that they fixed infosvr security bug mentioned here.

3754 is old history, I already got 3873 merged on the development repo.

The security fix I included in 376.49_5 is more complete than the one used by Asus, so you're not missing on anything security-wise.

Good afternoon!
I have a router ASUS RT-AC68U. A couple months ago I flashed it by firmware of Merlin, and all was OK. (used only 1 WAN).
12.01.2015 needed to set up Dual WAN. Before this I flashed my router by Merlin's firmware 376.49_5
Primary WAN (WAN port): static IP
Secondary WAN (Ethernet LAN port 1): PPTP
1. After set up and reboot, Primary WAN is Connected, and Secondary WAN is Disconnected.
2. As the experiment I set up Primary WAN is Ethernet LAN port 1,
Secondary WAN is WAN port. After reboot Primary WAN is Disconnected, and Secondary WAN is Connected. In this way I thought that my PPTP
Internet service provider have problems, because static IP Internet service provider works on any WAN.
3. Next I tried to change connections physically (Static to LAN port 1, PPTP to WAN port), but PPTP didn't worked.
4. Next I tried to disable Dual WAN and set up only PPTP connection. AND IT WORKED STABLE!
5. I thought that may be firmware with bugs and tried to rollback asus original firmware FW_RT_AC68U_30043783873.trx with Administration firmware upgrade in WEB, but after reboot the firmware was 376.49_5 by Merlin.
Next I tried to reset router to factory defaults and repeated firmware upgrade - not result.
Next I turned off router, pressed RESET button 10 more seconds and tried to upload the firmware from PC with "ASUSTek - CFE miniWeb Server". Before that I clicked "restore default NVRAM values". After downloading and rebooting the firmware again was 376.49_5 by Merlin. But I still tried to set up Dual WAN, and IT'S WORKS!!! Stable!!! I was very hapy, and tested this 1 hour. After that I reboot router and the problem is back. PPTP didn't worked!
6. In the end of my "epic fail" I tried to reset firmware by Asus Firmware Restoration Utility - the result is "Error automatic firmware update".

Please tell me what am I doing wrong...
May be some problems with NVRAM?
Sorry for my English :)

Possible NVRAM corruption/issue possible

Good afternoon!
I have a router ASUS RT-AC68U. A couple months ago I flashed it by firmware of Merlin, and all was OK. (used only 1 WAN).
12.01.2015 needed to set up Dual WAN. Before this I flashed my router by Merlin's firmware 376.49_5
Primary WAN (WAN port): static IP
Secondary WAN (Ethernet LAN port 1): PPTP
1. After set up and reboot, Primary WAN is Connected, and Secondary WAN is Disconnected.
2. As the experiment I set up Primary WAN is Ethernet LAN port 1,
Secondary WAN is WAN port. After reboot Primary WAN is Disconnected, and Secondary WAN is Connected. In this way I thought that my PPTP
Internet service provider have problems, because static IP Internet service provider works on any WAN.
3. Next I tried to change connections physically (Static to LAN port 1, PPTP to WAN port), but PPTP didn't worked.
4. Next I tried to disable Dual WAN and set up only PPTP connection. AND IT WORKED STABLE!
5. I thought that may be firmware with bugs and tried to rollback asus original firmware FW_RT_AC68U_30043783873.trx with Administration firmware upgrade in WEB, but after reboot the firmware was 376.49_5 by Merlin.
Next I tried to reset router to factory defaults and repeated firmware upgrade - not result.
Next I turned off router, pressed RESET button 10 more seconds and tried to upload the firmware from PC with "ASUSTek - CFE miniWeb Server". Before that I clicked "restore default NVRAM values". After downloading and rebooting the firmware again was 376.49_5 by Merlin. But I still tried to set up Dual WAN, and IT'S WORKS!!! Stable!!! I was very hapy, and tested this 1 hour. After that I reboot router and the problem is back. PPTP didn't worked!
6. In the end of my "epic fail" I tried to reset firmware by Asus Firmware Restoration Utility - the result is "Error automatic firmware update".

Please tell me what am I doing wrong...
May be some problems with NVRAM?
Sorry for my English :)

Yes, it does sound like a possible NVRAM/configuration issue. I would erase the NVRAM by powering the router off, pressing and holding the WPS button and then powering the router back on & hold for 8-10 seconds. The power LED will blink quickly and/or pulsate indicating the NVRAM is being erased. I like using telnet however as its quicker and always works without incident. The command for the ARM-based routers is as follows:

mtd-erase2 nvram

Once you fully erase the NVRAM you have 2 options:

1) Manually reconfigure the router using the GUI (takes forever).
2) Use the NVRAM utility by john9527 (takes about 10 minutes).

Good luck!

Hello there I'm using a RT-AC66U with firmware vers. 3.0.0.4.374.39 (Merlin build), should i do a factory reset prior the upgrading to this new firmware?

Hello there I'm using a RT-AC66U with firmware vers. 3.0.0.4.374.39 (Merlin build), should i do a factory reset prior the upgrading to this new firmware?

Do a factory reset after the upgrade not before.

there are some configs that i would like to save such mac addresses, wifi passwords and stuff, i know if i do a reset i'll have to re do the config manually isn't any other way to do this?

DLNA issue

Hi everyone,

maybe someone can help me. I've just searched for that issue, but can't find anything related to my problem. Sorry for that!

Regarding my issue:
My AC-87U is running with the latest firmware from RMerlin, that's why I thought it would be good to post it here:
I've configured DLNA on my 87U and it was running stable with the last firmware. I've attached a 32GB USB 3.0 stick.

After turning on the DLNA support, it works for round about a minute and then it disappears everywhere. On my phone (BubbleUPnP) and on my TV. The files are still available via normal network sharing, but not anymore via DLNA.

I've formatted it twice (to NTFS) and ran an error check (with Windows Tools and with the Asus Tools). There were some errors which were fixed, but still the issue is there.

Does anyone has any idea what it could be and what I could do, to get my DLNA running again and enjoy the mediastreaming on all my devices?

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade from stock question

Ok stupid question time, but want to make sure I dont have any issues. I have a RT-AC68U on the latest official ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3626 and want to flash Merlin's latest RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5. Should I do a factory reset afterwards or should I be good to go?

Ok stupid question time, but want to make sure I dont have any issues. I have a RT-AC68U on the latest official ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3626 and want to flash Merlin's latest RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5. Should I do a factory reset afterwards or should I be good to go?

Going between these two versions should be fine, you might need to re-enter any OpenVPN key/cert however if you are using it.

How come you are able to access the router configuration over WAN even though the setting "Enable Web Access from WAN" is disabled (No)?

I have enabled HTTPS instead of HTTP and got "Enable Web Access from WAN" set to no. But I'm still able to reach my router, login and configuring from work (WAN) when inputting my external IP:8443 in the web-browser.

EDIT:

Even when you enable "Allow only specified IP address" I'm still able to access from IP-addresses not specified in the settings??

Last edited:
What is the recommended CPU temps on RT-AC68U and RT-AC87U? When does it begin to throttle?

I notice that my RT-AC87U CPU temps are at 88 degrees with barley any load and that's with the 5.0GHz disabled entirely and set to only 1% Tx Power. Isn't this rather high? My RT-AC68U running as access point is also 81 degrees+ with only 5.0GHz enabled, the 2.4GHz is disabled and set to 1% Tx Power.

How come you are able to access the router configuration over WAN even though the setting "Enable Web Access from WAN" is disabled (No)?

I have enabled HTTPS instead of HTTP and got "Enable Web Access from WAN" set to no. But I'm still able to reach my router, login and configuring from work (WAN) when inputting my external IP:8443 in the web-browser.

EDIT:

Even when you enable "Allow only specified IP address" I'm still able to access from IP-addresses not specified in the settings??

This usually means that you disabled the firewall, which means the whole router is accessible to everyone.

What is the recommended CPU temps on RT-AC68U and RT-AC87U? When does it begin to throttle?

I notice that my RT-AC87U CPU temps are at 88 degrees with barley any load and that's with the 5.0GHz disabled entirely and set to only 1% Tx Power. Isn't this rather high? My RT-AC68U running as access point is also 81 degrees+ with only 5.0GHz enabled, the 2.4GHz is disabled and set to 1% Tx Power.

When i had the AC68U with 2.4 Ghz disabled it ran at 73 C about 80 with both bands enabled. Radio temps always stayed in the low 50's. 88 seems hot but i believe Merlin stated one time that anything above 90C is getting HOT. Maybe you got one of those units they did not put enough heat sink compound on the cpu chip, this has been posted before by other people some have even took the router apart and redid it and the temps were normal again.

I know that 49_6 is not supported, so I don't expect any update, but I guess it's worth to notice that jffs partition is not initialized. Anything else looks ok, even though I suppose that the system log is now stored in ram.

Hi everyone,

maybe someone can help me. I've just searched for that issue, but can't find anything related to my problem. Sorry for that!

Regarding my issue:
My AC-87U is running with the latest firmware from RMerlin, that's why I thought it would be good to post it here:
I've configured DLNA on my 87U and it was running stable with the last firmware. I've attached a 32GB USB 3.0 stick.

After turning on the DLNA support, it works for round about a minute and then it disappears everywhere. On my phone (BubbleUPnP) and on my TV. The files are still available via normal network sharing, but not anymore via DLNA.

I've formatted it twice (to NTFS) and ran an error check (with Windows Tools and with the Asus Tools). There were some errors which were fixed, but still the issue is there.

Does anyone has any idea what it could be and what I could do, to get my DLNA running again and enjoy the mediastreaming on all my devices?

Thanks in advance!
Try this https://www.asuswrt.eu/bubbleupnp-server-through-debian-arm/

I know that 49_6 is not supported, so I don't expect any update, but I guess it's worth to notice that jffs partition is not initialized. Anything else looks ok, even though I suppose that the system log is now stored in ram.
Hi,

I am running 49_6 on my main router with JFFS and no problem there - finally I could overclock... ;)

A known (small) bug is that sometimes you need to enable "JFFS format on next reboot" two times and reboot (two times) to get it working... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hi,

I am running 49_6 on my main router with JFFS and no problem there - finally I could overclock... ;)

A known (small) bug is that sometimes you need to enable "JFFS format on next reboot" two times and reboot (two times) to get it working... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

That is not a bug. That is how it is intended to work actually.

This new build .49_5 is cutting off the 5g wifi at 50/20mbit where .48_1 was giving me 300/300mbit.

I havent tested the 2.4g wifi...
And wired connections was the same.

Tested with MacBook Pro OS X 10.10.1

Same here, WiFI is not working well for me with .49_5 on RT-AC66U. Everything was fine with .49_4. Connection on both 2.4 and 5GHz is very poor on all my devices (Ipad , Iphone, MacBook) . I did a reset twice without success.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!