What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Comcast IPV6

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for the release. I've been running it now for a few days on a new RT-AC87 and it seems pretty stable.

One thing I noticed since .48 is that I'm not holding an IPV6 address on Comcast. When I boot the modem, I do get an IPV6 address initially but it disappears after about 10 minutes. I've seen that there was a reworking of the IPV6 stack (at least I think I read that) -- could that have had an effect on this?

Brian

Traffic Analyzer

I enabled traffic analyzer but it doesn't stay enabled on 87r. I rebooted and it didn't stick. When I enable it, I cannot access the router until I reboot it.

I installed Beta 2 and its also working great.

Just a small request seems that Beta 1 had a newer version of the wireless driver (which seemed to work a bit better, this could be psychological too)

The date on the wireless driver from Beta 1 was something like Dec 11, 2014 and Beta 2 is Dec 2, 2014.

The version numbers are the same.

Thanks.

have also seen less 5ghz WiFi stability on beta 2

Just a small request seems that Beta 1 had a newer version of the wireless driver (which seemed to work a bit better, this could be psychological too)
There are too many variables to be definitive, but it does seem like one of my user's iPad 3's is having trouble with more-than-once-an-hour disconnects on 5 gigahertz, with the Beta 2 release compared even to Beta 1. Have not thoroughly tested every set of 5ghz options (control channel, max bandwidth etc) to see if any settings could improve things.

Hmm, maybe even a low end EdiMax single-channel AC USB adapter is having a bit more trouble finding the router at startup.

The date on the wireless driver from Beta 1 was something like Dec 11, 2014 and Beta 2 is Dec 2, 2014.

Are you sure about the date of the previous one? Because the latest AC66U firmware from Asus is 3754, and it has a date string of Dec 2nd 2014.

And last time I changed that driver was on Jan 16th, which was before the Beta 1 release. So there's been no change between Beta 1 and 2 for the AC66U's driver.

I installed the Beta 2 on my Asus 56U and it works fine. Only the known stuff with MODEM using slow driver etc. But all the other stuff is working fine for me. Also the new stuff Trend .... looks like working fine on this Modell.

Tried beta 2 last night on my RT-AC87U and everything work great.
2.4 and 5G work just as good as the latest stock firmware.
Watch 1080P MKV DTS-HD video on my shared USB3.0 hard drive to my LG Bluray player with perfect picture and sound. No network error compared to the latest stock firmware which sometime give me the error.
Love the temperature information of the 2.4G, 5G and CPU.
Temperature on the 5G even with multiple 2.4G and 5G devices using and playing MKV through the shared hard drive only show 54 degree C with no fan. CPU is like 76 and 2.4G is about 48. Not bad at all.

RT-N66u Broken FTP - VSFTPD V3.0.2 Issue?

I'm still unable to get FTP working on the RT-N66U despite resetting to defaults and disabling IPV6 essentially I get the following error on the client;

~#ftp 192.168.1.1
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

For testing I have extracted the vsftpd binary from RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5 using firmware mod tools which gives me version 2.0.4 as opposed to version 3.0.2 in the 378.50 Beta 2 release

If I run the version 2.0.4 vsftp binary on the 378.50 beta 2 firmware FTP is working correctly;

~# ftp 192.168.1.1
220 Welcome to ASUS RT-N66U FTP service.
Name (192.168.1.1:root): admin
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Here comes the directory listing.
drwxrwxrwx 10 0 0 4096 Jan 27 17:01 sda1
drwxrwxrwx 8 0 0 4096 Jan 27 11:47 sdb1
226 Directory send OK.

Is there some issue with the build on the version 3.0.2 vsftpd binary ?

Make sure you only use letters and numbers in your device names. Cyrillic or symbols are not allowed, and will cause webui issues.
I use only letters, numbers and space. Reproduse for RT-AC56U and RT-AC68U:
Step 1: Firmware reset.
Step 2: Add MAC addresses. Result:

Step3: Delete one MAC
Step4: Add removed MAC. Result:

Last edited:
I installed the Beta 2 on my Asus 56U and it works fine. Only the known stuff with MODEM using slow driver etc. But all the other stuff is working fine for me. Also the new stuff Trend .... looks like working fine on this Modell.
Are you able to enable 80mhz channel bandwidth on 5ghz band on the AC56U + Beta 2 DPI build?

I use only letters, numbers and space. Reproduse for RT-AC56U and RT-AC68U:
Step 1: Firmware reset.
Step 2: Add MAC addresses. Result:

Step3: Delete one MAC

You have fairly long names assigned to your devices. Try shortening at least one of the longest ones to see if you are able to get more devices added. If yes, then it indicates that the total list is probably too long when you add the length of all MACs + names.

I'm still unable to get FTP working on the RT-N66U despite resetting to defaults and disabling IPV6 essentially I get the following error on the client;

~#ftp 192.168.1.1
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

For testing I have extracted the vsftpd binary from RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5 using firmware mod tools which gives me version 2.0.4 as opposed to version 3.0.2 in the 378.50 Beta 2 release

If I run the version 2.0.4 vsftp binary on the 378.50 beta 2 firmware FTP is working correctly;

~# ftp 192.168.1.1
220 Welcome to ASUS RT-N66U FTP service.
Name (192.168.1.1:root): admin
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Here comes the directory listing.
drwxrwxrwx 10 0 0 4096 Jan 27 17:01 sda1
drwxrwxrwx 8 0 0 4096 Jan 27 11:47 sdb1
226 Directory send OK.

Is there some issue with the build on the version 3.0.2 vsftpd binary ?

Try running the 3.0.2 version from the shell, see if you get any error message or additionnal debug info. The fact that you get an actual 421 message indicates that the server does start properly, but something else is causing it to reject your connection.

Also check syslog for any error message related to ftp at connection time.

What does " only known stuff with MODEM using slow driver etc" mean exactly? Never saw any mention in changelog so curious.

server=/local/x.x.x.x in \tmp\resolv.dnsmasq

I didn't get any reaction to my post regarding this issue in thread 378.50 Beta1 and I am trying again.
With release 378.50 on my RT-AC87U I have noticed the following with the generated /tmp/resolv.dnsmasq: when I enter No in "Connect to DNS Server automatically" in WAN DNS Setting, the value 8.8.8.8 for "DNS Server1" and click Apply the software generates a resolv.dnsmasq in /tmp containing:
server=/local/8.8.8.8

Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS is set to No in DHCP Server, DNS and WINS Server Setting.

By comparaison version 376.49_50 \tmp\resolv.dnsmasq is empty, not trace of server=/local/8.8.8.8

I don't know what are the exact consequences of that change. I would like to avoid all my DNS queries for the local (local=lan) domain to be forwarded to upstreams DNS servers. Could somebody help me out ?

You have fairly long names assigned to your devices. Try shortening at least one of the longest ones to see if you are able to get more devices added. If yes, then it indicates that the total list is probably too long when you add the length of all MACs + names.
Step 1: Clear the MAC-list.
Step 2: Add MAC addresses with short name. Result:
image.png

Step3: Delete one MAC "Galaxy S5"
image.png

I saw the same behavior on beta 1. Haven't had it happen yet on beta 3.

Step 1: Clear the MAC-list.
Step 2: Add MAC addresses with short name. Result:
Step3: Delete one MAC "Galaxy S5"

5Ghz drops out on RT-AC87U with beta2

Hello Folks,

I'm having problems with the 5Ghz crapping out after a few hours.

Client machine: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OSX 10.10.2

The only way to get it back is to restart the wireless service on the Mac or reboot.

I didn't have this problem with stock Asus Firmware (3.0.0.4.378.3885) or beta1.

I did a full reset to factory, installed beta1 and then upgraded to beta2 when it came out.

Thanks for the great work on Asusmerlin!

Cheers.

Are you sure about the date of the previous one? Because the latest AC66U firmware from Asus is 3754, and it has a date string of Dec 2nd 2014.

And last time I changed that driver was on Jan 16th, which was before the Beta 1 release. So there's been no change between Beta 1 and 2 for the AC66U's driver.

No i am not 100% sure.

Thanks for checking.

Igor - try removing the spaces in the client names. I had issues with spaces in the name when doing this via the dnsmasq and static_leases implementation.

Hello Folks,

I'm having problems with the 5Ghz crapping out after a few hours.

Client machine: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OSX 10.10.2

The only way to get it back is to restart the wireless service on the Mac or reboot.

I didn't have this problem with stock Asus Firmware (3.0.0.4.378.3885) or beta1.

I did a full reset to factory, installed beta1 and then upgraded to beta2 when it came out.

Thanks for the great work on Asusmerlin!

Cheers.

87U here and been using beta 2 for 2 days and no 5ghz problems at least with my devices. 2,iphones,2roku boxes,2 android phones,1 android tablet,1 laptop,1wireless desktop.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!