What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Step 1: Clear the MAC-list.
Step 2: Add MAC addresses with short name. Result:
image.png

Step3: Delete one MAC "Galaxy S5"
Step4: Add removed MAC. Result:
image.png

The screen caps are from ASUS stock and not Merlin as the IP address column is missing. Please can you check what firmware you are running.

I can't duplicate the error on an AC68 using beta 2 and chrome browser.

I second recommendation to remove spaces as they are not valid in hostnames
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname

I'm not certain but I think that resolv.dnsmasq server entries only shows up if you're using IPV6. Check that page for server entries. The odd part is I don't know how you can get an and IPv4 DNS address added there.

Pablo

I didn't get any reaction to my post regarding this issue in thread 378.50 Beta1 and I am trying again.

With release 378.50 on my RT-AC87U I have noticed the following with the generated /tmp/resolv.dnsmasq: when I enter No in "Connect to DNS Server automatically" in WAN DNS Setting, the value 8.8.8.8 for "DNS Server1" and click Apply the software generates a resolv.dnsmasq in /tmp containing:

server=/local/8.8.8.8

Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS is set to No in DHCP Server, DNS and WINS Server Setting.

By comparaison version 376.49_50 \tmp\resolv.dnsmasq is empty, not trace of server=/local/8.8.8.8

I don't know what are the exact consequences of that change. I would like to avoid all my DNS queries for the local (local=lan) domain to be forwarded to upstreams DNS servers. Could somebody help me out ?

--
Pablo

FIXED!

Wow thanks for the update. This solved my 3 day old issue with slow AC speeds. Short story I was getting 175-270 Mbps downloads on iPhone 6 on AC. Last update (stock ASUS) made it around 150 or so. I decided to try the older 376_43_2 _Update 7 fork from John to see if I could get it back. That made my downloads resort back to wireless N speeds and actually worse. 17/25 on 5G band and 28/28 on 2.4 band. Using speedtest.net app. The smartspeed app reported slightly better results of 45/29 or so but speedtest was jacked. Interestingly it was reporting crap results on Laptop wireless n 2x2 as well that would get 99-100 on the ISP speedtest. I resorted back to 376_49_5 and back to ASUS stock to try and resolve with no results. Even clearing nvram via GUI and telnet. Just uploaded this beta and now getting 200+ again on Phone (AC) and even laptop speedtest website is back working correctly. BTW the WIFI sweetspot app for phones that shows the connection from device to router to help with optimal placement was reporting 280Mbps on 5g and 50 or so on 2.4g even when broken. Really Strange!

Anyway now for Merlins important info. The copy option in the wizard for 2.4 and 5 wireless info does not seem to stick. I had to manually rename the 5G afterwards even though selected copy option. Also the wifi status on network map reports incorrect channels and freq unless change pages and back again. That is random. Nothing major but seems like a few small bugs none the less. Thanks again for your efforts! Looking forward to the release version.

The vsftpd issue seems to mostly occur on the older MIPS-based routers. I suspect it might be a compatibility issue between vsftpd 3.0.2 and the older uclibc used by those routers.

Not worth the trouble, so I'll simply revert vsftpd back to the 2.x version in previous firmwares. I assume Asus ran into similar issues, and it was the reason why they only use vsftpd 3.0.2 for their Qualcomm-based routers.

Step 1: Clear the MAC-list.
Step 2: Add MAC addresses with short name. Result:
Step3: Delete one MAC "Galaxy S5"
Step4: Add removed MAC. Result:

Thanks, fixed with this commit.

The vsftpd issue seems to mostly occur on the older MIPS-based routers. I suspect it might be a compatibility issue between vsftpd 3.0.2 and the older uclibc used by those routers.

Not worth the trouble, so I'll simply revert vsftpd back to the 2.x version in previous firmwares. I assume Asus ran into similar issues, and it was the reason why they only use vsftpd 3.0.2 for their Qualcomm-based routers.

How many have reported this problem with vsftpd on mips routers?
There is always a few haveing trouble, just curious.

That's realy unclear now what are DHCP list naming rules.
But it doesn't have the same behavior it used to be.

- no "long" names. What is a long name? 8 caracters?
- no CAPS?
- no "-" or "_" or " "?
:confused::confused::confused:

Updated to beta2 after several restore to default setting due to obtain an update of bootloader too. Now it's ok :) Device: AC68U.

Under "Switch Control" (http://YourAsusRouter/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp), the first time I browsed this page, I saw 2 type of HW Acceleration: "CTF(Cut Through Forwarding)" and another one than I don't exactly remember now, It's was something like "FA... Flow access...".

After enabled Jumbo Frame, this last type of acceleration disappeared.

Now, with Jumbo Frame enabled, I've only "CTF(Cut Through Forwarding)" enabled. But if I turn off Jumbo Frame, the second type of hw acceleration does not appear.

Is this an issue? How can I fix or investigate on it?

Dimitris19 and VVS

Did you do any add to config in vsftpd? and what program do you connect to ftp with? If you have config any wrong parameter sometime ftp don't start.
You can log in with SSH and type "Ps" to se if "1647 octopus 3020 S vsftpd /etc/vsftpd.conf" running.

Post your config file command: cat /etc/vsftpd.conf

octopus

How many have reported this problem with vsftpd on mips routers?
There is always a few haveing trouble, just curious.

A few, and I was also able to reproduce it here on my RT-N66U. vsftpd starts normally, however any connection attempt to port 21 is immediately closed after connecting - I was able to see the behaviour occur with telnet.

Running strace on vsftpd showed that it was failing when trying to fork something, with a bogus (out of memory) results. My guess is it's an incompatibility or a bug that shows up with the older uclibc used by MIPS routers. It's not just a config file issue.

A few, and I was also able to reproduce it here on my RT-N66U. vsftpd starts normally, however any connection attempt to port 21 is immediately closed after connecting - I was able to see the behaviour occur with telnet.

Running strace on vsftpd showed that it was failing when trying to fork something, with a bogus (out of memory) results. My guess is it's an incompatibility or a bug that shows up with the older uclibc used by MIPS routers. It's not just a config file issue.

Okey I'm just curious trying to understand. :D

Octopus

That's realy unclear now what are DHCP list naming rules.
But it doesn't have the same behavior it used to be.

- no "long" names. What is a long name? 8 caracters?
- no CAPS?
- no "-" or "_" or " "?
:confused::confused::confused:

I allow up to 15 characters, mixed case alphanumerics, with the "-" character.

While a valid hostname could allow the underscore character ("_"), RFCs recommend not to use it for a hostname because it's a reserved character in DNS RFCs.

Updated to beta2 after several restore to default setting due to obtain an update of bootloader too. Now it's ok :) Device: AC68U.

Under "Switch Control" (http://YourAsusRouter/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp), the first time I browsed this page, I saw 2 type of HW Acceleration: "CTF(Cut Through Forwarding)" and another one than I don't exactly remember now, It's was something like "FA... Flow access...".

After enabled Jumbo Frame, this last type of acceleration disappeared.

Now, with Jumbo Frame enabled, I've only "CTF(Cut Through Forwarding)" enabled. But if I turn off Jumbo Frame, the second type of hw acceleration does not appear.

Is this an issue? How can I fix or investigate on it?

From what I recall, Asus disabled Flow Accelerator, probably because it was causing too many compatibility issues.

Hi

I've not updated my merlin firmware for quite a while, must be about 12 or more months now.
So I've not really been following this forum.
Can anyone tell me what version of merlin I should update to? And also if I should do a reset or is it not nessary if I already have merlin firmware.

Many thanks

working well on n66 as router 2.4 and 5 and ac-66 as media bridge on 5ghz channel . Edimax 1200 , intel 5300 - 5200-5100 -4965, D Link DAP 1522 and linksys wusb 600 clients .

I noticed some difference between the 2.4 and 5 GHz information at Tools > Sysinfo.
Is 'Authorized:' and 'Authenticated:' not supposed to be shown for the 5 GHz network also?

(378.50_Beta2 on RT-AC87U)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 19.12.16.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 19.12.16.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 501

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!