What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi having problem dhcp loosing my lan connections (wired not the wireless)getting this error:

dnsmasq-dhcp[469]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jun 10 00:01:36 rc_service: httpd 475:notify_rc restart_webdav
Jun 10 00:01:38 WEBDAV Server: daemon is stopped
Jun 10 00:01:38 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Jun 10 00:01:49 dnsmasq-dhcp[469]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)
Jun 10 00:02:28 rc_service: httpd 475:notify_rc restart_webdav
Jun 10 00:02:28 WEBDAV Server: daemon is stopped
Jun 10 00:02:28 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Jun 10 00:02:49 dnsmasq-dhcp[469]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)

Just keeps reapeting it self enyone knows what it is?
ps. Not a expert on networking :(
Running 378.54_1 merlin AC87U

Thnx in advance

Last edited:
There is something funky with this firmware and exists in the Asus beta firmware that both start moving to a crawl on 2.4 and needs a reboot to speed up again. That issue does not exist on .53, so as it goes I'm back to .53 which has been nothing but stable since it first came out. Something in the bits and pieces coming from later firmware may be at fault.
What device? There was a new wifi driver if I recall for some models. Wonder if that could be causing some issues?

When setting up guest network, is there any way I could share my wireless printer without share the whole intranet?

Hi
Got no addons or media server all stock
Only changes i made in the firmware is portfarwording

Hi,

I am on latest Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_1. Having zero issues with my connection since the day one I started using Merlin builds. Thanks Merlin once again, thanks for your hard work.

Please do not laugh at me, help this noob to learn more. I see some people mentioned their bootloader (CFE) is at 1.0.3.0. some saying they have it at 1.0.5.0

Mine is sitting at 1.0.2.0 - is that normal? Do I have to update my bootloader manually or everything is fine? Thanks in advance!

1hBqbkx.jpg

Hi,

I am on latest Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_1. Having zero issues with my connection since the day one I started using Merlin builds. Thanks Merlin once again, thanks for your hard work.

Please do not laugh at me, help this noob to learn more. I see some people mentioned their bootloader (CFE) is at 1.0.3.0. some saying they have it at 1.0.5.0

Mine is sitting at 1.0.2.0 - is that normal? Do I have to update my bootloader manually or everything is fine? Thanks in advance!

1hBqbkx.jpg
You have already answered yourself just by asking the question. No. All is well. :)

Hi having problem dhcp loosing my lan connections (wired not the wireless)getting this error:

dnsmasq-dhcp[469]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)

You have something filling up all your RAM. Check that you aren't writing any large file or logfile in /tmp, for example a minidlna database. If you use Download Master then disable it.

When setting up guest network, is there any way I could share my wireless printer without share the whole intranet?

Not unless you want to dive into complex manual firewall rules.

Hi,

1hBqbkx.jpg

Asus very rarely upgrade the bootloader, and that bootloader is completely different for every model, so you can't compare them across models.

Asus only upgrade the RT-AC68U to 1.0.2.0 when running anything older due to a change in the flash partitioning. Otherwise, don't expect this to change (and newer versions won't bring anything good anyway, they tend to only change to support new types of flash or new router models).

1) in WAN page "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" needs to be set on NO

That one explained why I couldn't reproduce the problem (or more accurately, why it wasn't working with either firmwares for me). Disabling that setting allows igmpproxy to work on stock, but not on my firmware.

From what I can gather, there are two things at play here:

1) igmpproxy is only started after eth0 (WAN) gets an IP, either over DHCP, or over Zeroconf (if you disable DHCP+VPN). I'm not sure if that part is intentional, or a bug in Asus's code.
2) Zeroconf (the zcip client) was broken in my Buxybox version, which is why that workaround didn't work on my firmware.

Applying a missing patch from Asus's 378_4950 to Busybox fixed Zeroconf, which in turn now allows this workaround to also work.

Yes, that's quite a long trail to follow to reach the root cause. :)

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/65c004367038646af8c3bba2476c7935bdc7e3b5

I'll try to publish some 378.55 alpha builds either tonight or tomorrow, like I did with 378.54.

Thanks for providing more details on your setup, that gave me somewhere to start digging!

Not unless you want to dive into complex manual firewall rules.
No, I wouldn't dare. But time to time I need to give my main ssid password cause someone just to print a page on my wireless printer. I guessed wrong that would be some kind of exception. Thanks again Eric.

No, I wouldn't dare. But time to time I need to give my main ssid password cause someone just to print a page on my wireless printer. I guessed wrong that would be some kind of exception. Thanks again Eric.

You could setup a second Guest Network where you allow LAN access. That way you won't have to share your main SSID - only that of the second Guest. Which would be easy to change, or disable, as needed.

You could setup a second Guest Network where you allow LAN access. That way you won't have to share your main SSID - only that of the second Guest. Which would be easy to change, or disable, as needed.

I will do that, thanks. It's indeed way better.

BTW..: Since it's everything new to me sorry if the question sounds silly, but... entware instalation script is suppose to work on this build? I'm asking cause I installed nano, htop and transmission and used all with success bit if I reboot I lost these and even "opkg" command. I saw that every binnary/executable it's on /tmp/mnt/sda1/entware.arm and /opt points to /tmp/opt wich doesn't seem to exit. I followed your guide to install entware but I'm strugglingworking to keep it working after boot.

Asus very rarely upgrade the bootloader, and that bootloader is completely different for every model, so you can't compare them across models.

Asus only upgrade the RT-AC68U to 1.0.2.0 when running anything older due to a change in the flash partitioning. Otherwise, don't expect this to change (and newer versions won't bring anything good anyway, they tend to only change to support new types of flash or new router models).

Thank you for the explanation Mr. Eric Sauvageau. All good then. I was afraid something is wrong on my end, and I thought bootloader was updated at one point with one of your updates (I believe it was named RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_6_cfeupd), so I assumed even bootloader gets updated sometimes. All clear now, thank you for taking time to respond, greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I will do that, thanks. It's indeed way better.

BTW..: Since it's everything new to me sorry if the question sounds silly, but... entware instalation script is suppose to work on this build? I'm asking cause I installed nano, htop and transmission and used all with success bit if I reboot I lost these and even "opkg" command. I saw that every binnary/executable it's on /tmp/mnt/sda1/entware.arm and /opt points to /tmp/opt wich doesn't seem to exit. I followed your guide to install entware but I'm strugglingworking to keep it working after boot.

Make sure you enabled support for custom scripts, on Administration -> System.

You have something filling up all your RAM. Check that you aren't writing any large file or logfile in /tmp, for example a minidlna database. If you use Download Master then disable it.

Hi merlin
Not running download master
How do i check the logfile in /tmp :)
One moore thing i noticed in the tools system info bootloader cfe is unknown and driver version is none?!?
reinstall the firmware?

Hi Merlin, Can you plz check this issue? I just did an upgrade from .53, which didn't have this issue, and didn't touch anything else.
Th.
AC68U
user/group/shadow/gshadow add and postconf don't work anymore on this version.
Must put some delay in other scripts to add these as it seems like these passwd and group files gets overwritten at certain point after running relative adds and postconfs.

---------------
Update:
These passwd/group files are not get overwritten.
I refer to the log, custom config doesn't do anything about passwd.add, group.add, shadow.add, gshadow.add, but I saw "custom config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/hosts.add". Same goes for the custom scripts of passwd/group related. But the relative ".add" and ".postconf" are all there.

-----------------
Update 2:
I found the problem. I have in the "post-mount":
Code:
  mount -t jffs2 -o ro,noatime /dev/mtdblock4 /tmp/realjffs
  # Re-mount /jffs to r/w usb drive
  mount -o rbind /mnt/USB/jffs /jffs
Which prevents the passwd/group related scripts from running. But after I insert a delay between them:
Code:
        mount -t jffs2 -o ro,noatime /dev/mtdblock4 /tmp/realjffs
        sleep 10
        # Re-mount /jffs to r/w usb drive
        mount -o rbind /mnt/USB/jffs /jffs
these scripts get run again. This never happened before this version. And it seems only affecting the passwd/group adds and postconfs.

---
BTW, even passwd.add/gshadow.add/group.add get appended, I can't find the relative log about their running, but can only see shadow.add in the syslog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is this with a reset to factory defaults or not?

(If not, you might want to try a full reset to factory defaults with minimal and manual configuration of the router to be sure it is not the issue in your particular case).

RT-AC56u upgrade from x.53 causing WIFI not functioning properly - slow, frequent drop out, can "serve" only one connected device at time, others are disconnected. Tried factory setting with same results. Downgraded back to x.53 and everything works fine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.