What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Media Bridge problem as stated earlier. I've found that the Bridge gets two IPs. One is access, and the other is for traffic.
The later gets two connections on the same IP and the message: ""kernel: eth2: received packet with own address as source address".

When in repeater mode it does not get two connections on same IP and it is working, but I think I have connection problems now and then. I'll have to investigate further.

Any suggestions regarding Media Bridge?

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

It appears there are memory issues with minidlna in the latest firmware. After upgrade I see only partial results in minidlna.. nothing in logs but if I strace I see this:

8465 poll([{fd=5, events=POLLIN}], 1, 2000 <unfinished ...>
8464 mmap2(NULL, 467886080, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, 0, 0) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)
8464 brk(0x1c539000) = 0x704000
8464 mmap2(NULL, 467886080, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, 0, 0) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)
8464 mremap(0x40565000, 467881984, 467886080, MREMAP_MAYMOVE) = -1 EFAULT (Bad address)
8464 brk(0x1c539000)

Running with 512MB swap partition on AC68P. Doesn't happen on 378.53_0. Fixed by downgrading to 53_0.

P.S. 53_0 is a fantastic firmware! thanks!

Maybe the dlna problem is causing the unstable connection to media in repeater mode then?
Looking forward to the next FW! Thank you so much for you efforts Merlin. You rock!

Last edited:
On the "System Log - General Log" page there is router uptime. Is that some form of count up function that's calculated based on "uptime"?

I was wondering if something similar could be added for WAN connection uptime? If maybe a timestamp could be logged after wan-start is ran which is referenced by a count up function and is displayed on that page too?

Thank you for the DH fix and explanation @RMerlin! I generated my own DH keys on my N66U and it only took about 1.5 minutes. FYI - the latest version of Viscosity for Mac (version 1.5.7 (1290)) requires a larger DH key.

I noted that the Media Server which normally comes with the ASUS router (stock firmware) has the following behaviours,
  • Rebuild the database on every rebuild
  • Stop scanning process when it does not recognize the media files. Example, when it found an .rm file.
  • Stop scanning process when the media file it is scanning is corrupted.
I also noted that the Media Server that come with the Merlin firmware behave the same.

So, I disabled the Media Server and install the entware minidlna. However, I'm having a new issue on every reboot. From the log, I see that the minidlna would start up, and then followed by,
Code:
warn: received signal 15, good-bye

If I log in via SSH and start minidlna, then it would start up properly.

Please note that I installed entware using
Code:
entware-setup.sh

It seems that the services-start does not execute /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung properly. So I added the following in post-mount,
Code:
"/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung" start

Any help on starting entware minidlna on bootup would be greatly appreciated.

Where did you look? If it's on the Virtual Server page, then no, it had to be manually added by someone. If however it's on the Port Forward page, then check the last column (Chain). If it says VUPNP, then it means the port was automatically forwarded by your device through UPNP/NAT-PMP.

Thanks Merlin...it was the virtual server page. I have NO idea why I added them and don't remember doing it. Should have looked more closely before I removed them.

I turned on port forwarding for 24 hours and nothing added itself, so I Think I have everything covered manually.

Thanks Again

-JOE

Thank you merlin for your time.
In the meantime i got confirmation on this issue here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tunnelblick-discuss/V657umITS5w that because of the logjam vulnerability the openssl suite and therefore the current Tunnelblick client requires 768bit keys.
I hope you find a way to incorporate this in future builds.

In the meantime thank you for your code.
I opened a terminal and pasted the code.
The output is this:
Code:
-----BEGIN DH PARAMETERS-----
MIGHAoGBANPZpUQa8I5UvjDOFC5PMaUIMfZJ4yskvW44jpk7NH0KM7niJ6lq05o2
NHsIc1IpM5JtwnqIGXap/MknPj+TjillkNTz5FUW7HLa9mz0uSf3ikFdMcIhtRat
u2OcwyvI/here are bits missing ofcourse..
-----END DH PARAMETERS-----
For others:
It took me some time to find this: but on the Advanced section of the vpn server there is a yellow link that allows you to specify in plain text the various keys.
Among that is the DH key i just generated.
Just paste it in there save it and bingo.

I have tried this but it just crashes my vpn server. I just get the yellow writing stating to wait a few minutes whilst the service is configured but it just never completes and the services status is stopped. This is on an RT-AC87.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Resolved.
I used the nvram back/restore utility and modified the dh parameters entry in the restore script.
When doing this put the whole dh parameter on one line but where a new line starts prefix it with /n.
Example:
Line1
Line2
Becomes
/nLine1/nLine2

Last edited:
I have a RT-AC68u and the firmware is 376.48_1
Sorry to ask, but could someone summarize the process to upgrade from 376.48_1 to 378-54_2 (I mean: do I just have to download and install the new version ?)

Thanks

Sorry to ask, but could someone summarize the process to upgrade from 376.48_1 to 378-54_2 (I mean: do I just have to download and install the new version ?)

Thanks

upload the new firmware, then when the upgrade is done immediately reset the router to factory default (administration/restoresaveupload setting) by clicking the restore button next to factory default. this will ensure there are no problems with all the code changes and your current settings.

Thanks

That's all I do and have not had a problem.

I noted that the Media Server which normally comes with the ASUS router (stock firmware) has the following behaviours,
  • Rebuild the database on every rebuild
  • Stop scanning process when it does not recognize the media files. Example, when it found an .rm file.
  • Stop scanning process when the media file it is scanning is corrupted.
I also noted that the Media Server that come with the Merlin firmware behave the same.

So, I disabled the Media Server and install the entware minidlna. However, I'm having a new issue on every reboot. From the log, I see that the minidlna would start up, and then followed by,
Code:
warn: received signal 15, good-bye

If I log in via SSH and start minidlna, then it would start up properly.

Please note that I installed entware using
Code:
entware-setup.sh

It seems that the services-start does not execute /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung properly. So I added the following in post-mount,
Code:
"/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung" start

Any help on starting entware minidlna on bootup would be greatly appreciated.

i had the same issue when the Media Server Status was stuck on scanning. i added multiple videos, but none of them showed up. turns out one of the video files i added was bad/corrupt and scanning got stuck. once i removed the bad file and restarted the server, finally it scanned and then idle.

maybe add a fix where if it scans a bad file, ignore it and keep scanning for other files.

Last edited:
In reapeter mode, I've got serious problems connecting to DLNA media. If I reset my Bluray player it connects for one session. Turning off and on the Bluray again I'm only able to connect with manual IP, but then I don't have Internet or DLNA. Ping google on reapeter Asus works.

AC87U+AC66U as reapeter

Please help.

I got it working. Reverting back to FW .53
Will there be a fix for this issue on the next FW Merlin? Or should I stay on the 53?
Have a nice day!

...maybe add a fix where if it scans a bad file, ignore it and keep scanning for other files.

Hi Eric,

Nice work on this great piece of FW and your support is incredible!

First time poster but been a lurker for a while. Done lots of reading and research before I ask and I am not too lazy to read hundreds of posts to find an answer. I also know how to use the search button - :)

Current Setup:
RT-AC68U
Single WAN getting IP from ISP Router in Bridge Mode
FW = .53

I am having three issues:

1) Trying to get one folder on two USB devices on the same router to sync - My music collection. I want to plug in my 64GB USB into slot 2 and have it sync my music folder on USB 5TB HD in Slot 1 (3.0). I have tried to set up the USB in Slot 2 with SMB and FTP then use Sync to link them but all I get is a blank PopUp Message window. I thought this was fixed a while back ago from the posts I have read.
2) I can't access my files outside the LAN (using no-ip DDNS) on smartTV's or laptop but I can using the AI Cloud app. I tried using FTP and https://[asusservername].[ddns.com]:8091 (<- the port was changed by me in the settings) but it fails to connect. When I try it from the LAN using the DDNS URL it works. When I go to a friends house, I can't stream content unless I use the AI Cloud app
3) Lastly, I too am having some issues with the DLNA server. My videos show up fine but my music and photos do not. The server shows "idle" so I am not stuck in a scanning loop but, I am not sure why I am having issues with the 2 of three formats.

Any help is appreciated

In the above quoted post, the user mentions a way to identify a bad file and skip it to prevent a scan loop. I also ask if there is a way to also post what file was skipped in a log somewhere so that I can replace it. I have over 50 gigs of music and nearly 1TB of pictures so trying to find a bad file in over 48 thousand files would be impossible.

Thank you very much, in advance, for the help!

Just do this as per RMerlins answer:

Yes. It worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.

BR, Daniel

Open Terminal (osx windows is different , probably open a cmd window)
run this:
Code:
openssl dhparam -out dh.pem 1024
cat dh.pem

The output is this:
Code:
-----BEGIN DH PARAMETERS-----
MIGHAoGBANPZpUQa8I5UvjDOFC5PMaUIMfZJ4yskvW44jpk7NH0KM7niJ6lq05o2
NHsIc1IpM5JtwnqIGXap/MknPj+TjillkNTz5FUW7HLa9mz0uSf3ikFdMcIhtRat
u2OcwyvI/here are bits missing ofcourse..
-----END DH PARAMETERS-----
On the Advanced section of the VPN server there is a yellow link that allows you to specify in plain text the various keys.
It is called : "Content modification of Keys & Certification." next to Authorization Mode.

Among that is the DH key i just generated.
Just paste it in there save it and bingo.
No need to reexport the ovpn file.

Hi Merlin,

Media Server doesnt seem to detect video files completely from my WD my passport ultra through N66 after flashing to 378.54_2 firmware. I have done a reboot after flashing.

I have reverted back to 378.53_0 firmware. This firmware can load all of my files correctly.

I did the same as you, but after flash back to 378.53_0 the problem remains cant se all the folder and files? How did you fix this? I did resets ad fabrics at least 10 time but still same problem?

Same here, the minidlna scanning stops (although it still says "Scanning" in the web interface). Started minidlna with the debug option via ssh, kept the program in the foreground to see the output, again it just stopped, although the process is still present in the process list, the minidlna status page loads fine etc. It just gets stuck for no obvious reason.

Next thing I'll do when I get a bit of time is to deactivate the embedded minidlna daemon and try the Entware package.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.