What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bug tracking on GitHub?

I disabled it last winter because people kept using it for tech support purposes rather than actual issue reports.

@Merlin: how can we keep this and similar future threads focused on observations that will help improve the next release? Given that this is up to 32 pages, there must be a better way.

I'm considering locking the release announcement thread in the future to force users into making separate posts. I haven't decided yet.

I disabled it last winter because people kept using it for tech support purposes rather than actual issue reports.

Is it possible to lock down the issue tracking so that it can be seen by everyone, but only modified by you?

Then the discussions can stay here in the forums, but the known bugs and status can be checked on GitHub?

Or is that over-complicating everything...

Is it possible to lock down the issue tracking so that it can be seen by everyone, but only modified by you?

Then the discussions can stay here in the forums, but the known bugs and status can be checked on GitHub?

Or is that over-complicating everything...

That wouldn't be of much help, since people would still either a) fail to read it, or b) have to post here to report things or provide feedback.

@Merlin: how can we keep this and similar future threads focused on observations that will help improve the next release? Given that this is up to 32 pages, there must be a better way.

Suggestions:
  1. use the github wiki to answer asuswrt FAQs that aren't even specific to asuswrt-merlin,
  2. title threads such as this like "Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 release discussion (ONLY)",
  3. encourage topic-specific threads by answering them.
FAQs: operating temp, RAM use, VPN, beamforming, numeric key rotation, what to expect from the router as a file server and VPN server, the "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" tradeoff, which advanced features are experimental or unreliable, the recommended reboot/disconnect/power cycle dance when doing a firmware upgrade, ...

To new customers, it's unexpected that ASUS releases such unfinished firmware and docs. At least they continue improving it.

I'm considering locking the release announcement thread in the future to force users into making separate posts. I haven't decided yet.

I would support that - have a release announcement thread, and then a general thread...

Disable Beamforming on the router. If it's an Intel NIC, disable the speed booster setting in Device Manager (forgot the exact name for it). For me that setting actually kills performance rather than enhance it.

Wish we could have found a clean way to sort the TxBF stuff...

The speedbooster/afterburner/throughput booster stuff generally applies only for 802.11a/g - 802.11n this is all handled via standard frame aggregation and block-acks, so that setting shouldn't matter for HT/VHT modes...

that's a challenge with GitHub's issue tracker - if the repo is public, so is the issue tracker...

It's a bit of work, but one can cascade them - have a alpha/beta repo and allow team players there, and then merge/push to the public where the issue tracker isn't used...

RMerlin,
I was testing some power settings on a RT-AC87 that I just purchased and flashed the 378.55_0 FW on it. When I went to do a site survey I was not detecting any of the 5GHz signals using the Passive Scan Mode. When I did an Active scan, I only detected the 5GHz signals that are on channel 40. I know for a fact that there are 3 routers with high signal strength using channels 149, 157, and 161 since they are my own routers. I also noticed that I was only able to detect many fewer radios on either band than with my other routers (RT-AC66's or RT-AC68's) that are using John's Fork FW (ver 13E1).

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Wish we could have found a clean way to sort the TxBF stuff...

The speedbooster/afterburner/throughput booster stuff generally applies only for 802.11a/g - 802.11n this is all handled via standard frame aggregation and block-acks, so that setting shouldn't matter for HT/VHT modes...

I wasn't referring to the old 802.11g Speedbooster, but to some other "performance booster" setting - I can't recall the exact name, Intel added it with their 17.x wireless drivers.

Is anyone having issues using the scheduler? My setup turns both bands off at midnight and back on at 0600 but I've had two instances of the WiFi not coming back on in the morning after a couple of weeks' of working fine. 1st time I did a factory reset and reconfig (the cure for lots of issues when upgrading) but it's happened again so the factory reset didn't help. I just turned it off and on again but is it worth looking in system.log for clues?

I seem to be having an issue with opendns. I didn't have to set this up in the pass or atleast I do not remember setting this up anyway I setup the ip address in 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in WAN DNS settings. Under AI protection, DNS filtering, it's set to opendns home. I have a client list specified to no filtering however, its still filtering ones that are specified to no filter. I haven't messed with this in sometime because there was no need to until today.

I seem to be having an issue with opendns. I didn't have to set this up in the pass or atleast I do not remember setting this up anyway I setup the ip address in 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in WAN DNS settings. Under AI protection, DNS filtering, it's set to opendns home. I have a client list specified to no filtering however, its still filtering ones that are specified to no filter. I haven't messed with this in sometime because there was no need to until today.

If you set the WAN DNS to OpenDNS, then your entire LAN will be using that - setting DNSFilter to "no filtering" simply tells that client to use the WAN DNS... which you have set to OpenDNS.

That's how I had it originally but when I tried to access a site on a PC that should have been filtered I was able to access it. I'll put it back and try it again.

Update: I set it back to detect WAN automatically. I have several PC's setup to no filtering with my phone being one of the. I tried to access a site but couldn't. It's being filtered. I've only added the PC's that I do not want filtering on. Do I need to do this reverse? Add the PC's I want to have filtered and leave out the ones I do not?

Last edited:
Disable Beamforming on the router. If it's an Intel NIC, disable the speed booster setting in Device Manager (forgot the exact name for it). For me that setting actually kills performance rather than enhance it.

Thnx for the tip! But I can't seem to find the option to disable this?

Thnx for the tip! But I can't seem to find the option to disable this?

Beaforming is on the RT-AC56U and newer routers, under Wireless -> Professional.

That's how I had it originally but when I tried to access a site on a PC that should have been filtered I was able to access it. I'll put it back and try it again.

Update: I set it back to detect WAN automatically. I have several PC's setup to no filtering with my phone being one of the. I tried to access a site but couldn't. It's being filtered. I've only added the PC's that I do not want filtering on. Do I need to do this reverse? Add the PC's I want to have filtered and leave out the ones I do not?

Start from the beginning.

DHCP page: leave the DNS field empty
WAN page: leave it to Auto

DNSFilter: enable it. Leave the Global filter to None. Add each client you want filtered, and set them to OpenDNS.

Hello fellows, has anyone noticed high usage from samba server? My RT-N66U CPU is 100% all the time and I can't figure out why. I even put a hybrid HD but it seems the USB2 port is just too congested or the router cannot handle my 100/20 connection.

I love this router and I find it strange my simple setup is taxing it to the max. Before replacing it with a newer one or a NAS device, any ideas or tips are welcome.

Thanks!

specs:

RT-N66U with Rmerlin's 378.55
100 down / 20 up connection
Gigabit connection on WAN and a wired PC
Hardware acceleration enabled
No QoS
No VPN
No miniDLNA
512 GB hybrid harddrive on USB2 port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!