What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RMerlin do you have read my samba problem? Add: watching film from my pc and not from HDD connected to router, all work perfectly.

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

I've said it many times: torrents on a low-powered router is a bad idea, especially an RT-N66U that can barely hit 15 MB/s on a USB disk.

Wireless code is now closed source, which means I need new GPL releases from Asus for every single router model. So far I only have these for the AC3200 (and indirectly for the AC87), so I can't even compile the firmware for the other models at this time.

Will you have an updated version coming out for the AC3200 soon then or are you waiting for the whole line up to be available first? Also would you recommend updating to the Latest Asus version? (ASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7838)

I'm still on 54_1 so I'm not really in a hurry, just wondering.

I've said it many times: torrents on a low-powered router is a bad idea, especially an RT-N66U that can barely hit 15 MB/s on a USB disk.
Ok but with original firmware i haven't this problem.... Also after 3 weeks of work without reboot...

Will you have an updated version coming out for the AC3200 soon then or are you waiting for the whole line up to be available first? Also would you recommend updating to the Latest Asus version? (ASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.7838)

I don't have any timetable established at this time, so for now, I'm just working on other things.

Ok but with original firmware i haven't this problem.... Also after 3 weeks of work without reboot...

I upgraded Samba to a newer version because the one used by Asus is getting old and moldy. This improves security and compatibility, at the price of a drop in performance. You were probably just borderline on the USB performance's limit with the stock firmware.

If you absolutely want that performance back, then your only solution is to revert back to the stock firmware. My priorities are on stability and security before performance.

I upgraded Samba to a newer version because the one used by Asus is getting old and moldy. This improves security and compatibility, at the price of a drop in performance. You were probably just borderline on the USB performance's limit with the stock firmware.

If you absolutely want that performance back, then your only solution is to revert back to the stock firmware. My priorities are on stability and security before performance.
No Merlin i Don't want extreme performance.... But simply i want see films from HDD without reboot the router even 2 days. And with only one pc connected via lan and 1 cellular via WiFi.... Probably this problem isn't of new samba....

If you think that this problem haven't solution, to solve you could create a "scheduled reboot" like tomato firmware. The nasty thing is reboot manually.....

Hi,
My ASUS RT-N66U is running on the Merlin 378.55 build. Overall it runs really great. I only have one problem. After 10 days without reboot, I put 1 torrent in download, in the same HDD that have films to watch via samba via LAN in my house. The problem is
stop and restart all the movies in the hard disk. Like a buffering in youtube / streaming. It would seem a problem of memory or cpu... that has no happened with the original firmware....never.
To solve, i should reboot the router.
Any solutions ?

I believe I'm experiencing the same thing. About to downgrade (which I'm fine with).

Thanks Merlin ! I try to use it. But Have you idea to make a user friendly menu for this function? For example, tab-menu in "Network Tools" where is possible select days and time to reboot... :rolleyes:

No, and I don't plan to. That's the kind of feature creep I want to avoid, because if I add this, then someone will ask for being able to setup multiple days. Then, someone will ask for the ability to setup multiple days AND hours. And then ... well, it just never ends. And adding features, especially those that can be done with 5 minutes of scripting versus an hour or two of my time simply is a waste of development time.

No, and I don't plan to. That's the kind of feature creep I want to avoid, because if I add this, then someone will ask for being able to setup multiple days. Then, someone will ask for the ability to setup multiple days AND hours. And then ... well, it just never ends. And adding features, especially those that can be done with 5 minutes of scripting versus an hour or two of my time simply is a waste of development time.
Ok ok I understand. However he considers that it would be a good thing to implement in your great job already. As it was the wake of LAN and in fact Asus has also decided to implement it in the original firmware. For use your script is necessary study how to. For example i try but i have difficult to modify the init-start file because I Don't know exactly the Linux commands. I create the jffs partition, reboot router, telnet, cd /jffs/scripts.
Now I have difficult. The same difficult when time ago i have tried to install "transmission" with no success.....
To a great programmer like you, these are trivial things but to manage you shared like me, are not so obvious and simple. However apart from all, congratulations for the excellent work you do and for your time to support in this forum. [emoji3]

Job314, I think that those are not problems that should be addressed in the firmware, they just need to be well documented (or explained). Open a new thread to receive support on how to do it.

Job314, I think that those are not problems that should be addressed in the firmware, they just need to be well documented (or explained). Open a new thread to receive support on how to do it.
In my opinion, the problem I have described about the samba and the inability to see movies from the hard drive connected to the router, is a firmware problem, because with the original one did not happen. My speech was reported to that, I do not understand why I should open new topic.......
However Merlin told me he can not help it, even though it is aware that this is a problem .... ok, I will study how to make the script work reboot.
I have not asked for help to learn linux commands. I just said that things are not so discounted for those who are not a programmer. Only for example.
However, no problem. Thread is closed for me. I will study :)

maybe good idea to add scheduler like other scheduler in fw eg. wifi, parental etc ?? no one should complain and demand more, but IMO more important is loging and vlans :D

Last edited:
If you think that this problem haven't solution, to solve you could create a "scheduled reboot" like tomato firmware. The nasty thing is reboot manually.....

Install Cron using entware and schedule a cron job to reboot the router at a specific time.

Install Cron using entware and schedule a cron job to reboot the router at a specific time.

No need to, there's already a cron server in the firmware, and even a helper script (cru) to make it very easy to setup any cron job.

Have not seen you for a month to update the firmware, what recent busy? When a new version is released?
This is not the right thread for such a post, you have not mentioned anything related to version _55 of the Merlin software. Please start a new thread for such pointless questions, so thate we can over them easily.

This is not a question about Merlin _55 software, please post in some other thread.

Thanks Merlin ! I try to use it. But Have you idea to make a user friendly menu for this function? For example, tab-menu in "Network Tools" where is possible select days and time to reboot... :rolleyes:
This is not a question about _55 Merlin software.

Status
Not open for further replies.