What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me in RMerlin firmware name for Client works wrong. In latest stock firmware works ok.

i thinking about this and i have a question....

In network map what first field show (when we want edit device) ? description or hostname ? For me sometimes is description, sometimes hostname. What is the main function ?

IMO this field can't have dual function

What this....description or hostname
what.png

i defined this i dhcp/static so should be hostname

If description-why sometimes show hostname ? if hostname, what for some devices show something different than we defined in static ?

Last edited:
Those with still NTP issues, what happens if you manually launch the client this way?
Code:
# ntpclient -h $(nvram get ntp_server0) -i 3 -l -s
setup_receive:: bind...
setup_transmit:: connect...
And then my clock is 1 hour behind again.

In the DHCP list if the port range is too long to be viewed and gets truncated, when editing it the truncated string gets copied in to the edit box.

hi! AC68 here
I just made a switch to verify something about CTF+FA , like a said in a earlier post normaly with ac68 only CTF is available.
Both Official Asus 378.9135 and 378.56 beta 1-2 , FA is always active even after reboot,factory default and cleared Nvram.

consequence= Cpu status page always reporting both cores sticking at 0% with massives data transfer and download,i have
tried disable and re-enable NAT , and FA is still there. Now i know its an Asus issue and maybe not fixable

It was just to report ;)

Back to .55 and i only see CTF and CPU cores showing something when they are at work :D

Thanx for the great work

In my case, if I do a factory reset with the button in back, then only CTF shows. But, then the clock gets off somehow (even after changing timezone and DST) such that the Daily Traffic Analyzer changes days at UTC time and not local time. Otherwise, reboots and manually changing from Disabled back to Auto puts CTF+FA on.

That message often occurs if the router is too low on free RAM. Try rebooting with no USB disks plugged in as John recommended, then retry flashing.
This worked for me. After reboot the upgrade went through successfully.

I am still having issues with Adaptive QOS on .56 Beta 2 that I had in .55. When I set my upload and download maximum bandwidths to 150mpbs each, on speedtests, my download speeds are capped to 50mpbs while my upload speeds reaches my ISP theoretical speed of 150mbps. Disabling Adaptive QOS returns my download speed to 150mbps.

Edit: Forgot to include my router model, AC56U.

What happens if you set the values to 0 (unlimited) instead?

Didn’t know that factory resetting erases JFFS too. Had to restore JFFS in addition to the normal settings via nvram-save.

This worked for me :)

Then it makes even less sense to me, as this is precisely the command the that firmware runs when it tries to sync the clock. Hm. No idea what is really going on then.

The daylight saving issues has been discussed at lenght already, and the same discussion happens every 6 months. Set the correct start/end time on the System page, the default values are wrong because they go back to before some politician somewhere decided it would be a GREAT idea to mess with the established start/end time, and never gave a damn about the impact it would have on all the existing software that relied on the established rules.

In the DHCP list if the port range is too long to be viewed and gets truncated, when editing it the truncated string gets copied in to the edit box.

Hm odd, it should only truncate the Description field. What specific range were you trying to enter?

In network map what first field show (when we want edit device) ? description or hostname ? For me sometimes is description, sometimes hostname. What is the main function ?

View attachment 4672

If description-why sometimes show hostname ? if hostname, what for some devices show something different than we defined in static ?

If no description exists, then the router will display either the current hostname (whether it came from the client itself or from a DHCP static lease), or a description built out of networkmap's queries sent to the device (which can result in a netbios name, or some other naming mechanism).

Once you change whatever is there through Networkmap, then it becomes the description for that device, and gets stored to nvram. It has no impact on the hostname, which is what you would use for network access (as it will resolve to the device's IP).

The reason why I kept the two separate after initially trying to unite them is because they cannot be interchanged. Asus allows descriptions that can be invalid as hostnames, so therefore I cannot just reuse a description as a hostname. Therefore, the two shall remain separate. Description is for the webui's use, hostnames is for network's use. I cannot enforce both fields as a hostname because it would require a factory default reset for anyone running either the stock firmware or an older version of my firmware. And I cannot enforce it as a description like Asus does because it would mean there is no way to specify a device's hostname.

This is by design, for very good reasons, and will not be changed.

View attachment 4672

Once again reporting the issue with name clients to RMerlin have been omitted. Ehhh Creating this firmware is going in the wrong direction. Towards lousy.

Once again reporting the issue with name clients to RMerlin have been omitted. Ehhh Creating this firmware is going in the wrong direction. Towards lousy.

Then make your own fork, and do a better job.

Only this is not a solution to the problem but ok. I will not argue with you. You do not even have explained how these names are displayed and asked VANT wondered. I also.

Merlin just want to point out, that been using your firmware for the last year or so and its an amazing mod, i really like it.

In the 378.56 BETA 1, in AC66U any USB disk connected were UNMOUNTED. No matter what i would do, format, reset settings, disk would still be unmounted. Downgraded back to 378.55 and disk are mounted and fully functional.

I can't test Beta 2 because i'm running a backup server on my house and i can't reset the router, anyway. Just registered to point out the bug and if is already solved then thanks a lot!

Juan

If no description exists, then the router will display either the current hostname (whether it came from the client itself or from a DHCP static lease), or a description built out of networkmap's queries sent to the device (which can result in a netbios name, or some other naming mechanism).

Once you change whatever is there through Networkmap, then it becomes the description for that device, and gets stored to nvram. It has no impact on the hostname, which is what you would use for network access (as it will resolve to the device's IP).

The reason why I kept the two separate after initially trying to unite them is because they cannot be interchanged. Asus allows descriptions that can be invalid as hostnames, so therefore I cannot just reuse a description as a hostname. Therefore, the two shall remain separate. Description is for the webui's use, hostnames is for network's use. I cannot enforce both fields as a hostname because it would require a factory default reset for anyone running either the stock firmware or an older version of my firmware. And I cannot enforce it as a description like Asus does because it would mean there is no way to specify a device's hostname.

This is by design, for very good reasons, and will not be changed.
OK, now i understand.

but maybe is a good idea to add additional field in dhcp/static named "description" ? We bind mac to ip, hostname is provided by device (or if not we can add this), and we only add description for easier device identify and easier configuration?

Best Regards,
VANT

Only this is not a solution to the problem but ok. I will not argue with you. You do not even have explained how these names are displayed and asked VANT wondered. I also.
Look back three posts to post #97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!