What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

for what ever reason the scheduled rebooting it not working anymore.

So far I noticed it has not reboot in 14 day few days ago so when I saw this on tuesday I set to reboot every Wednesday at 6am, when that time came it didnt reboot, So i set it to reboot fridays at 6am that time came and it didnt reboot either, it was working before now it not,

Can anyone confirm this question though. When connected to a guest wifi network, is access to the router's internal IP blocked?

For example if I get a guest wifi IP range of 10.10.0.40, and the internal LAN IP is in the 192.158.5.x range, meaning the router's IP is 192.168.5.1, will I be able to connect from 10.10.0.40 to 192.168.5.1? The stock Asus firmware used to allow it, and even Shibby Tomato did. I put in some iptable rules to drop all requests to the 192 range, but I would think this is something that would be part of the firmware.

Thanks.

I remember seeing an issue where traffic monitoring would not write to a USB device but for the life of me I can’t find the original post! My N66R running Merlin 380.59 just would not write to the USB thumb drive. I finally saw a read error in the log after I tried to view the Daily stats. Permission problem? I went to Samba, set the folder on the thumb drive to “R” for admin and saved the settings. I then changed it back to “R/W” for admin and saved the settings, went to Tools, Other Settings and chose Create or reset data files. It now works!

Well I went ahead and installed 59 on my N66U tonight. So far so good. Fast and simple. And glad to see ALL internal lan IPs are blocked from access by guest IPs including the router. I wish the guest had it's own range of IPs though.

Time to spend some cycles with it. One quick question though. I thought I read that there is something I want to do regarding the JFFS space after a new install of firmware. As far as I know I'm not using JFFS at all. Do I just set the "clear JFFS at next boot" setting once to be sure that all is properly reset?

Last edited:
Do I just set the "clear JFFS at next boot" setting once to be ace that all is properly reset?

Check that box and reboot the router at least twice (I recommend three times with 5 minutes between reboots).

You don't mean check the box and reboot 3 times, just check the box once, reboot, and then reboot two more times (not having checked the box those two additional times) right? That's what I did. Thanks!

So I do have a couple of questions, and I *think* one bug.

First the bug - I've noticed after a router reboot, the Guest wifi network is always off. I have to login and enable the guest wifi. Is that expected behavior? Seems weird to have to do that.

And when I do enable it, I get a pop up screen/warning say I changed the settings on my non guest wifi networks too, and they drop out for a second and re-enable. I'm assuming that behavior is normal as the radios are shared?

Next a few questions on what certain things do.

1. On the LAN Page, under Switch Control tab - "NAT Acceleration", van be Auto vs Disable. I read the description, but don't understand why it's recommended to have this disabled if using parental controls (which I am, to limit wifi access times for kids at night).

2. On Firewall page, in General section, "NAT Loopback" can be Asus, vs Merlin, vs Disabled. What is the difference between Asus and Merlin, and why would you want this disabled? I might need to learn more about NAT Loopbacks.

3. Within parental controls, you can only set a schedule per MAC, but you can't set a scheduled per MAC per day. Meaning, you have to have the same schedule for every day. Typical access would allow for longer hours on weekends vs weekdays. Any chance an improvement like that would ever be in the works, or would it have to come from Asus first, since Merlin leverages their GUI? I can live with the less than granular time options (hourly vs half hours, etc).

Thank you. It is working very well on my router.

Last edited:

So far I noticed it has not reboot in 14 day few days ago so when I saw this on tuesday I set to reboot every Wednesday at 6am, when that time came it didnt reboot, So i set it to reboot fridays at 6am that time came and it didnt reboot either, it was working before now it not,

On Friday I set reboot on Saturday at 6am and when I woke up today I check to see if it reboot and it did... something wierd happening, gona leave on saturday at 6am and see if reboot again next saturday.

You don't mean check the box and reboot 3 times, just check the box once, reboot, and then reboot two more times (not having checked the box those two additional times) right? That's what I did. Thanks!

Yes, you did what I meant (possibly not what I wrote)! :)

and no i did have box checked for mutliple days, I have had is set to thursday 6am every week since the option was put in the UI and it always worked, to now as of now it working again so i dont know,

Nothing in the router setting changed either, I did get new PC but I dont see how that could cause an issue. Like said I switched it to Saturday @6am cause that worked after Thursday @ 6am and Friday @6am didnt work.

So I have noticed an issue with my guest wifi not staying on. I turned it back on at 8pm ET, and just noticed that it's off again. I think I didn't understand a setting. Access Time shuts the network off after the specific time, it's not for the DHCP leas time. That's what I assumed it was.

So is it correct to assume the lease time for guest networks is the same as it is defined for internal networks, since they are on the same subnet? It's just a virtual wireless SSID right?

Last edited:
hi guys could you please help me to set my wifi on this firmware for best gaming perfomances? idk why i'm having issues not sure sure if it's my wifi or my isp just sucking.
there are just other 3 wifi in my area so it's not congested, it should be smooth yes i get like ping lag spikes.
should 20 mhz or 20/40 for best perfomance of stability with no packet loss? any other suggestion?
thank you!

On 2.4GHz band, 20MHz bandwidth is recommended.

On the 5GHz band, it depends on your devices, but 20/40/80 is where I set it to.

But, what is your router? What firmware is installed and is it the latest for your router? Have you performed a full reset to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configured the router to secure it and connect to your ISP?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

How fast are your ISP speeds? Are they consistent (DSL)? Or do they vary (Cable)? Is Fibre available in your area (the connection is worth upgrading to (1ms latency), even if you stay at your current speed levels.

What is the device you are gaming on? What os?

How far away are you from the router? How many obstacles in between? Have you tested each channel on both bands to find the best one for your environment, today?

Merlin or John, I've been having an issue for the better half of this year and have been keeping my external plugged into my older router with older firmware. Do you happen to know how to fix this? I've used check disk and a few other utilities, but it seems the problem only manifests with the newer Asus drivers for NTFS:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/usb-hard-drive-and-87u.29696/

Jul 16 19:37:35 kernel: __find_get_block_slow() failed. block=5357976616, b_blocknr=1063009320
Jul 16 19:37:35 kernel: b_state=0x00000020, b_size=512
Jul 16 19:37:35 kernel: device bloc1e<4>device blo16, b_blocknr=1063009320
Jul 16 19:37:35 kernel: b_state=0x00000020, b_size=512
Jul 16 19:37:36 kernel: device blocksize: 512
Jul 16 19:37:36 kernel: __find_get_block_slow() failed. block=5357976616, b_blocknr=1063009320
Jul 16 19:37:36 kernel: b_state=0x00000020, b_size=512
Jul 16 19:37:36 kernel: device blocksize: 512

It continues on and on and the router will quickly lock up until it is power cycled.

On 2.4GHz band, 20MHz bandwidth is recommended.

On the 5GHz band, it depends on your devices, but 20/40/80 is where I set it to.

But, what is your router? What firmware is installed and is it the latest for your router? Have you performed a full reset to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configured the router to secure it and connect to your ISP?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

How fast are your ISP speeds? Are they consistent (DSL)? Or do they vary (Cable)? Is Fibre available in your area (the connection is worth upgrading to (1ms latency), even if you stay at your current speed levels.

What is the device you are gaming on? What os?

How far away are you from the router? How many obstacles in between? Have you tested each channel on both bands to find the best one for your environment, today?

hi thanks for your help!
my router is RT-AC68U and yes i did everything factory reset and manual reconfiugration
my ISP is VERY slow right now, i'm changing to a better one, right now i have 5 mbps in dowload and 0,9 in upload ( sighs shame on me), i got installed this firmware, the one related to this post. basically i have a very slow dsl
i'm currently in the process to update to a fiber connection.. even though it's not fiber to home, but fiber to cabinet.
the system on which i'm is windows 10, i can't test both bands cause my laptop for now doesn't have 5 ghz.. so only 2,4.. but my next gaming laptop will be having both bands.
OH, i also ran a packet loss ping to my gateway and I got 0 packet loss.. could it be then a problem of my isp like just bad and not constant latency?
thank you!

hi thanks for your help!
my router is RT-AC68U and yes i did everything factory reset and manual reconfiugration
my ISP is VERY slow right now, i'm changing to a better one, right now i have 5 mbps in dowload and 0,9 in upload ( sighs shame on me), i got installed this firmware, the one related to this post. basically i have a very slow dsl
i'm currently in the process to update to a fiber connection.. even though it's not fiber to home, but fiber to cabinet.
the system on which i'm is windows 10, i can't test both bands cause my laptop for now doesn't have 5 ghz.. so only 2,4.. but my next gaming laptop will be having both bands.
OH, i also ran a packet loss ping to my gateway and I got 0 packet loss.. could it be then a problem of my isp like just bad and not constant latency?
thank you!

You're welcome. First a quick question, what is Fibre to cabinet?

It seems your issues can be directly related to the combination of things in your particular network configuration.

Starting with the slow ISP speeds, the use of the 2.4GHz band (again, test each channel to see which is the best one, making sure you reboot the router and the computer after each channel change, 1, 6 and 11) and possibly the less than optimal WiFi adaptor card and antennae in your current laptop.

Can you post the Ookla speed test results here for us? And also the dslreports results too?

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://speedtest.dslreports.com/

The RT-AC68U with RMerlin firmware is a great choice, it is the other parts of the puzzle that are bringing you down right now. ;)

You're welcome. First a quick question, what is Fibre to cabinet?

It seems your issues can be directly related to the combination of things in your particular network configuration.

Starting with the slow ISP speeds, the use of the 2.4GHz band (again, test each channel to see which is the best one, making sure you reboot the router and the computer after each channel change, 1, 6 and 11) and possibly the less than optimal WiFi adaptor card and antennae in your current laptop.

Can you post the Ookla speed test results here for us? And also the dslreports results too?

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://speedtest.dslreports.com/

The RT-AC68U with RMerlin firmware is a great choice, it is the other parts of the puzzle that are bringing you down right now. ;)

ok here's the gyazos

https://gyazo.com/143ef3c62aa67c349fe3fa86ef0d9855

usually my upload speed is 0,89 but right now there was an heavy use of internet in my house and i couldn't stop it

also this is my insideer situation

https://gyazo.com/0aa10e4469e47c92ebdd556095f36abf

as you can see my pc detects just 3 networks from this position and I set my router on channel 6 because it was the only one free; my network is "netgear" (No i don't have a netgear router right now xD it's just a ssid name I like)

thanks for your help!

The use of inssider is a poor way to choose the channel you use. It may happen to suggest the best channel, but that is the luck of the draw with nothing tangible behind that 'suggestion'.

It (almost) doesn't matter what other AP's are around you, your router and your client will have a 'best' overall choice between them and that will be regardless of what basic utilities like inssider may show.

Change the channel on the router and reboot it and the computer you use to test with on every channel change. Making sure the laptop is in exactly the same position and orientation for each of several locations within the coverage area. Take notes of your throughput tests and also how the latency of the network becomes with different channels. There will be one that is (overall) better than the rest.

If you're able to use Adaptive QoS and set it for gaming, you may see some improvement in your games (with such a low upload, it is no wonder you're seeing problems).

Hi Merlin,
I recently upgraded to 380.59 from 378.53 (RT-AC68U). Did a full factory rest after install, etc. One thing I've noted is that now in the traffic monitor tab under traffic analyzer, I have 'No data in table' for the global monthly value, even though I set up brand new files and space to store them. All the other parts of the section work fine and have values, as well as the per device. Per device monthly gives values as well, just not global/monthly. The older firmware used to update the global monthly values in real time. Did this change?

Thanks for all your work.

yes i use gaming qos.
I also did an other factory reset.. i'll see how it goes.. I also switched back to channel 1.. they always told me it's the stronger
thanks for your help!

Hi Merlin,
I recently upgraded to 380.59 from 378.53 (RT-AC68U). Did a full factory rest after install, etc. One thing I've noted is that now in the traffic monitor tab under traffic analyzer, I have 'No data in table' for the global monthly value, even though I set up brand new files and space to store them. All the other parts of the section work fine and have values, as well as the per device. Per device monthly gives values as well, just not global/monthly. The older firmware used to update the global monthly values in real time. Did this change?

Thanks for all your work.

You need to reconfigure the database.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Enhanced-Traffic-monitoring