What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I did. I manually moved the old files to a different directory on my usb drive and selected 'Create or reset IPTraffic data files' for both global and per IP Traffic monitoring.

The only one I don't get values for is Realtime -> Global -> Monthly. I get values for all other sections.

Edit: I tried switching to RAM for the storage location and same result. Monthly is blank.

Last edited:
I did. I manually moved the old files to a different directory on my usb drive and selected 'Create or reset IPTraffic data files' for both global and per IP Traffic monitoring.

The only one I don't get values for is Realtime -> Global -> Monthly. I get values for all other sections.

Edit: I tried switching to RAM for the storage location and same result. Monthly is blank.

Did you actually use it for a month for it to show 'monthly'?

Did you actually use it for a month for it to show 'monthly'?

That's why I was asking if it had changed. Before on fw 378.53 (and all previous versions before that) the realtime/global/monthly value was shown cumulative in realtime to current date/time. I used this to track how much bandwidth had been consumed to date for ISP monthly cap reasons, without having to manually add each device consumption to get an idea for mid-month consumption values. That's painful when you have a lot of devices. Does it only write to the monthly table now one time when the reset date that is entered into the U.I. is reached? This would be a behavioral change and which is why I was inquiring, or if it may be another traffic monitoring bug. I would like to know so I can make an informed decision on if I should go entware/vnstat or some other route to get realtime cumulative monthly data, or if this might get fixed if it is an unintended change/bug.

Thanks again Merlin for all your work.

Check your system log to confirm that the router is able to access the database.

There hasn't been any change to that portion of the code in years.

hi guys. please I need help for something that is apparently a mistery, there's no logic in this at all.
I just got my new internet connection at home, with 80 mb/s in download and 20 mb/s in upload.

I have my qos set on gaming with automatic bandwidth detection: if i use this setting, a speed test will detect my normal bandwith 80 and 20 but my bufferbloat grade would be C because i would have apprently some Bufferbloat when my upload band is satured and the router apparently can't handle it

IF I manually put my bandwith values instead of automatic always using gaming mode , My bandwith get capped to 20/20 ! what's the sense of all this? i'm sure 200% i put my correcr values onto the router settings, i put 80 and 20, but then it all gets capped to 20! in this way i can effectively improve the bufferbloat from grade c to B.. but still.. why do i have this different thing between manual and automatic detection of bandiwth?
no clue why it would do this

any clue to improve my buferblot anyway please?

thank you so much for any help!

hi guys. please I need help for something that is apparently a mistery, there's no logic in this at all.
I just got my new internet connection at home, with 80 mb/s in download and 20 mb/s in upload.

I have my qos set on gaming with automatic bandwidth detection: if i use this setting, a speed test will detect my normal bandwith 80 and 20 but my bufferbloat grade would be C because i would have apprently some Bufferbloat when my upload band is satured and the router apparently can't handle it

IF I manually put my bandwith values instead of automatic always using gaming mode , My bandwith get capped to 20/20 ! what's the sense of all this? i'm sure 200% i put my correcr values onto the router settings, i put 80 and 20, but then it all gets capped to 20! in this way i can effectively improve the bufferbloat from grade c to B.. but still.. why do i have this different thing between manual and automatic detection of bandiwth?
no clue why it would do this

any clue to improve my buferblot anyway please?

thank you so much for any help!

What router? What firmware? Have you tried using 80% of your ISP maximum achievable speeds?

Have you tried reversing the Up and Down speeds (at least to test with)?

RT-AC68U, and the firmware related to this thread . i didn't try to reserve the up and down but i tried to lower the values of down and up and it would just reduce even more the speed. it seems to that it just reduces all the speed to my upload speed when I set it manual. and it's very weird. this would have no problem with a connection where both up and down are the same, but it's not my case :/

I am currently on 376.47, can I just upgrade to 380.59 and keep all my preferences or do I have to do a factory reset.

Thanks

RMerlin, I've noticed the 5Ghz Wifi stop working a couple of times now. Not sure why. I had 27 days of uptime with no issue, and this morning, 5ghz wouldn't work. Couldn't connect even. Rebooted router, and could connect again. But now, it's like it's dead, even though it shows as active. Would you like to see logs? I have a pretty basic configuration. Not much going on except reserved IPs.

omg i'm such a noob ! i had inverted the value between upload and download, now it's all fixed. also i lowered my download top from 80 to 75 and my bufferbloat score went from C to A! amazing! thank you for the help !

RMerlin, I've noticed the 5Ghz Wifi stop working a couple of times now. Not sure why. I had 27 days of uptime with no issue, and this morning, 5ghz wouldn't work. Couldn't connect even. Rebooted router, and could connect again. But now, it's like it's dead, even though it shows as active. Would you like to see logs? I have a pretty basic configuration. Not much going on except reserved IPs.

Wifi is outside of my control.

Factory reset.Fw to old.You can try without but i doubt you not going to have some issues

If you cant flash directly from 376.47 to 380.59 then:
You need the CFE upgrade first from 3.0.0.4.376.3657 or this 378.55
Reboot, flash with 378.55(do minimal config), reboot, flash with 380.59 and "Factory to Defaults" and reconfig from scratch *** Dont Import settings ***
Thank you......updated to 380.61 and did a factory reset. Everything ok so far.

I have question can this firmware cause the network icon in both Win7/Win10 to random say no connection with yellow icon above the network icon? cause this have been happen for as long as i can remeber at random.

Now the Network icon might say I have no connect but the router see i am connected and internet works fine system. and open network and sharing center and click on Ethernet show it connect and packets are being sent and revived. I am thinking there is some long standing bug in this reguard in the OS they never fixed? cause some time i boot system and it show connection fine other times it takes 5-10 till after boot before it stops saying no connection. other times it will be like that for hours then sudden say the connection is there meanwhile it been connect just fine all this time.

I have already changed cable and router ports and this has happen on multiple pc so it not just 1. Thoughts? am i right in thinking this most likely a OS bugg the never really bother to fix?

I have question can this firmware cause the network icon in both Win7/Win10 to random say no connection with yellow icon above the network icon? cause this have been happen for as long as i can remeber at random.
All that happens for that is that the PC is pinging dns.msftncsi.com (and if you are running ipv6, ip6.msftncsi.com). If either one fails, it will show the no connection icon. Make sure you are not running any blocking that includes either of these two sites. You could also try a different set of DNS servers.

Also, it it really bothers you.....you can turn the check off with a registry edit....
make a dword value EnableActiveProbing set to 0
in the following key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet]

they are not block Windows firewall dont block it and router isnt either and i dont use IP6 it is disable in the router but I see the ip4 equivalents as failing to resolve from time to time though I never really thought to see if the dns resolve failing happens at same time iam told there no connect.

OCD wise it bother me but only when it happens next time it happen I Will try the reg trick if to if stops, i just want to do that find out when Internet does fail it now only will say connected though

I would like to know why my computer need to beable to ping a MS server just to acknowledge I have connection when everything else on the computer is tell me other wise? seem rather stupid too me then again i probably dont wanna know ,I will just copy past that regedit for next time to see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
I'm running into a problem with my fresh installation of 380.59 on my AC68. I was using an old version of official Asus firmware until now (378.4585), and everything was fine on that setup. I chose .59 (instead of .61) because I didn't want to get locked down to the new firmware revisions yet (in case I have a problem, I want to be able to go back). I did a reboot, install, reset, reboot routine to ensure I had a clean installation.

The problem only seems to occur on my wife's Android phone - all other devices work fine. On hers, we often get an exclamation "!" mark after some time on the Wifi (2.4GHz). My phone (same model, same stock-rooted firmware with nothing really changed beyond root access) and every other device (laptops, desktops, Tivos, etc) doesn't seem to have any problems on the new firmware - just hers. I've asked for help on the Android XDA forums but am not getting any help there... so I came here since this was the latest change I made to the network.

The device still reports having an IP (v4 and v6... not sure how to disable the latter, even though IPv6 is disabled in the router?) but it simply won't connect anywhere at all (LAN or WAN). The connection doesn't self-repair at any point, and just remains this way unless we manually turn the wifi off and on again.

One variable seems to be that we have a Tile tracker on her phone, along with the associated app. That app uses Bluetooth. So far, when I have disabled BT I have not seen the wifi-exclamation happen... not sure why this would be the case at all. I've tried many other things, with no correlation... this is the only item that MIGHT correlate (I don't want to jump to causation as we've only turned off BT for about a day now). My device normally has BT off, fwiw... maybe I will try turning it on to see if it shows the same problem.

I haven't made too many config changes, but I have disabled NAT accel, disabled "Reducing USB 3.0 interference", and am running a USB drive on the 2.0 port.

I'm running out of ideas, so any help is appreciated. Thank you!

I'm running out of ideas, so any help is appreciated. Thank you!

380.61 introduced a new "Bluetooth coexistence" setting that might help, if your problem comes from Bluetooth interference. BT does use the 2.4 GHz band as well.

380.61 introduced a new "Bluetooth coexistence" setting that might help, if your problem comes from Bluetooth interference. BT does use the 2.4 GHz band as well.
My concern with going to .61 is that I'll lose the ability to go back to my known-working 378.4585... so while I want to try it out, if it doesn't work I'm stuck there.

I'm thinking of going back to 4585 but I know it's rather old and I should be on a setup newer than that (from a security standpoint, at least)... so I'm wondering what else might have changed along the way to cause these problems?

Better still would be some setting I could try to see if that helps. Maybe I switch her to 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz... the range is reduced (which is why I stuck with 2.4Ghz) but it might fix the issue for her? I'll test that now (while I am also leaving my BT turned on, to see if my phone has the issue as well, without the Tile app).

My concern with going to .61 is that I'll lose the ability to go back to my known-working 378.4585... so while I want to try it out, if it doesn't work I'm stuck there.

You can flash an older firmware by using the Firmware Recovery tool from Asus.

The 5 GHz band would most likely resolve the issue if it's really caused by interference. Try also switching the 2.4 GHz band to another channel if you haven't tried yet, and make sure it's set to 20 Mhz.