What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking my 3100 might be borked. When I try to manually mount the jffs partion, I get the following:

admin@RT-AC3100-2C60:/dev# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /jffs
mount: mounting /dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs failed: Input/output error

Not sure if there's a way around this. Anyone know if fsck works on these things?

Found this in the logging as well. Being the fact this is flash memory, I may be SOL here.

May 5 01:05:08 kernel: Cowardly refusing to erase blocks on filesystem with no valid JFFS2 nodes
May 5 01:05:08 kernel: empty_blocks 358, bad_blocks 1, c->nr_blocks 512
May 5 01:05:08 kernel: nand_erase_nand: attempt to erase a bad block at page 0x0000d980

Last edited:
Did you format your JFFS partition before resting the router?
Yep, I have to reformat my JFFS partition after flashing to Alpha 1,2,3 as it will not mount. I see Merlin fixed this in Beta 1 but I still could not upgrade from Alpha 4 to Beta 1 without resetting my AX58U.

Yep, I have to reformat my JFFS partition after flashing to Alpha 1,2,3 as it will not mount. I see Merlin fixed this in Beta 1 but I still could not upgrade from Alpha 4 to Beta 1 without resetting my AX58U.

Any tips on how to do this? I still can't get the JFFS to mount on my 3100.

So there is something up with the beta on the 3100 for sure. I've rolled back to the RC 483.19. Even though I can't the the JFFS to mount, I'm able to add the 3100 as a mesh node. Another thing I noticed on the beta (with the 3100) is that after enabling SSH in the GUI, I am not able to connect to the device with putty. No matter how many resets and clears, SSH does not work. As soon as I'm back on 483.19, it works. Will wait for a new release to try this one out on there.

RT-AC1900P....Any changes to VPN client setting results in dropped WAN. This was the case with Alpha 2 & 4 as well. I can restore WAN connection by going to the WAN settings and simply hitting the "Apply" button.

I am running two VPN clients.

Drupal? I always gave that CMS a wide berth for its complexity. That may have changed in the years since.

At some point after the beta status is finished and the final firmware is released, does the beta need to be reset to factory defaults?
:)

@RMerlin
Have you come to any decisions on whether the new (asw?) security measures from Asus are going to be implemented on your version of the firmware?
I think you mentioned previously that they were causing some excessive CPU cycles when first ported into one of the alphas (3 or 3.1?).

It`s currently only enabled on the RT-AC68U, as I`ll need updated binaries for the other models. The RT-AC68U version I have no longer does excessive CPU usage.

will i be able to go from alpha 4 to releae without a reset ?

No. The problem is these alpha builds have some invalid nvram values.

Eric, On github I see " rc: explicitely re-enable JFFS partition following factory default reset " under commits does it affect only one model or is it global. The one I have issue with mounting JFFS after factory reset till it is rebooted, just wanted to ask if this would fix the issue or do I need to rebbot rt-ax88u for it to mount JFFS

The change applies to all models, however I don`t know if all models suffered from the same issue or only some models.

Drupal? I always gave that CMS a wide berth for its complexity. That may have changed in the years since.

It`s not so bad, you might be thinking of Joomla, which I ran for a while in the past, and is basically designed for websites managed by large teams where one person writes the content, another must review it and a third one publishes it...

Even though I can't the the JFFS to mount, I'm able to add the 3100 as a mesh node.

If your router has issues with its jffs partition and reports a bad block issue, then this isn`t related to the firmware code. 386.1 might be failing simply because it NEEDS a working jffs partition to store data in it.

RT-AC1900P....Any changes to VPN client setting results in dropped WAN. This was the case with Alpha 2 & 4 as well. I can restore WAN connection by going to the WAN settings and simply hitting the "Apply" button.

I am running two VPN clients.

Check your route and VPN configurations and look for error messages in the system log.

It could be a hardware issue but my RT-AX58U started to crash/reboot when quickly changing sections in the webUI

What does your system log says? There should be crashlog entries in it if it really crashes.

After factory reset do I need to re-enter all my settings or can I just import an exported config file?

Hello everybody.
I think I've discovered a bug related to DDNS service with this new release.

I cannot obtain a Let's Encrypt certificate (it gets stuck in getting Authorization...)

Moreover the log shows a continuous update request (alias and IP deliberately modified here...)

Code:
ec  5 23:20:41 Mastiff: Got AAE_SIG_REMOTE_CONNECTION_TURNED_ON
Dec  5 23:20:41 rc_service: httpds 751:notify_rc restart_ddns
Dec  5 23:20:41 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:20:42 inadyn[1436]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:20:44 inadyn[1436]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:20:50 watchdog: start ddns.
Dec  5 23:20:50 rc_service: watchdog 756:notify_rc start_ddns
Dec  5 23:20:50 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:20:50 inadyn[1454]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:20:52 inadyn[1454]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:20:53 rc_service: httpds 751:notify_rc restart_ddns_le
Dec  5 23:20:54 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:20:54 inadyn[1505]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:20:56 inadyn[1505]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:21:23 watchdog: start ddns.
Dec  5 23:21:23 rc_service: watchdog 756:notify_rc start_ddns
Dec  5 23:21:23 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:21:23 inadyn[1561]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:21:25 inadyn[1561]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:21:57 watchdog: start ddns.
Dec  5 23:21:57 rc_service: watchdog 756:notify_rc start_ddns
Dec  5 23:21:57 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:21:57 inadyn[1700]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:21:58 inadyn[1700]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Dec  5 23:22:27 watchdog: start ddns.
Dec  5 23:22:27 rc_service: watchdog 756:notify_rc start_ddns
Dec  5 23:22:27 start_ddns: update FREEDNS.AFRAID.ORG default@freedns.afraid.org, wan_unit 0
Dec  5 23:22:27 inadyn[1758]: In-a-dyn version 2.7 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Dec  5 23:22:28 inadyn[1758]: Update forced for alias my.site.com, new IP# 11.22.33.44
Stuck for me too. I reinstalled everything at Alpha 4. But even before that I noticed that the certificate was about to run out. Using Asuscomm though. (AX88U)

Yesterday asus ax88u upgrade from alpha4 to beta1
> factory reset (WPS reset),
openvpnserver and vpnclient configured.
multiple guest networks configured.
jffs script actived
node ac88u & ac68 (factory reset) paired
I could only connect the nodes wired first, (not via WiFi)
after pairing, the nodes can be used wirelessly and working great.

Everything is stable.

Question (just curious :) )
Is it possible to see the cpu load and temperature of all nodes in an overview? (administration> temperature)

Everything was fine during the Alphas.

Beta 1 - Astrill VPN Router Applet is not redirecting traffic. It connects without fail, but it doesn’t redirect traffic. A simple what is my IP search shows the local address.

Yes, I did a factory reset and 2nd JFFS format (because the first one failed to display Astrill VPN in the menu - needed a factory reset)

Something weired had happened. My RT-AX86u now is stuck in an indefinitely reboot loop.

1. Updated my RT-AX86u from 386.a4 to .b1 sucessfully.
2. Format jffs, reboot
3. Did Soft reset (complete initialize), reboot
4. Did a hard reset, reboot
5. Now fresh setup. All good to that point.
6. Eventually started another final update to .b1 at the end on running step 5 config.

After step 6 my AX86 is now stuck in an indefinitely reboot loop. Only see the flashing LEDs for LAN4 und WAN up to the point during boot process where it seems to crash und reboots indefinitely. The radio LEDs do not even come up.

Tried so far: ASUS recovery tool to flash back 386.b1, 386.a1 and also tried stock 384.9318. Recovery told that it successfully recovered, but it didn't (still stuck in reboot loop).
Any ideas really appreciated.o_O

------------

Update:
Finally I could successfully downgrade to 386.a4, reinitialized settings to get the unit operational again. Afterwards another update trial to .b1 and again reinitialized settings. I won't touch the AX86u in the near future ;)
Somehow my AX86 don't like a direct restore to 386.b1 via ASUS recovery tool (reboot loop).

Last edited:
Hello

I have a RT-5300AC and RT-AC68U (node)
I have updated from 384-19 to 386 beta 1.
Lost AI-MESH.
Tried factory reset and still impossible to connect the two routeurs.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!