What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm. looks like asus have a custom config and license etc.
i probably can't re-use their binary in spdmerlin

does running /usr/sbin/ookla work without any arguments?
No it does not - it is missing configuration file and only way to supply it appears to be url. No idea what this file is - it is neither CLI or Ookla server, perhaps it is Asus closed source.
Code:
asus:/www# /usr/sbin/ookla --help
Version: ookla 3.6.5.2

Usage: ookla [<options>]
  -h, --help                        Print usage information.
  -V, --version                     Print version number.
  -L, --servers                     List nearest servers
  -s, --server-id=#                 Specify a server, from the configuration, using its id
  -I, --interface=ARG               Bind to the specified interface when connecting to servers.
  -i, --ip=ARG                      Bind to the specified IP address when connecting to servers.
  -o, --host=ARG                    Specify a server, from the configuration, using its host's fully qualified domain name
  -t, --trace-level=#               [Deprecated: See -v] Specify a log level between 1 and 2 (1=info, 2=error)
  -p, --progress=yes|no             Enable or disable progress bar (default = on when interactive).
  -P, --precision=#                 Number of decimals to use (default = 2, valid = 0-8).
  -f, --format=ARG                  Output format (see below for valid formats).
  -u, --unit[=ARG]                  Output unit for displaying speeds (Note: this is only applicable
                                    for ‘human-readable’ output format and the default unit is Mbps).
  -a                                Shortcut for [-u auto-decimal-bits].
  -A                                Shortcut for [-u auto-decimal-bytes].
  -b                                Shortcut for [-u auto-binary-bits].
  -B                                Shortcut for [-u auto-binary-bytes].
      --selection-details           Show server selection details.
      --ca-certificate=ARG          CA Certificate bundle path
  -v                                Logging verbosity. Specify multiple times for higher verbosity.
      --delta-perf                  Output raw average speed since the last measurement.
  -m, --max-transfer-updates=#      Maximum number of log outputs during download/upload tests
  -l, --listen[=#]                  Start a local server, listening on the specified port, instead of running a test.
  -c, --config-url=ARG              Config url override
Looking at https://myrouter/internet_speed.html it calls do_speedTest_exe("", cur_server_id)
which looks as follows in same html - cgis nowhere to be found, must be Asus closed source
Code:
function do_speedTest_exe(exe_type, server_id){
var start = new Date();
var type = "";
var id = "";
test_start_time = start.getTime();
set_ookla_start_time(test_start_time);
if(typeof exe_type !== "undefined")
type = exe_type;
if(typeof server_id !== "undefined")
id = server_id;
$.ajax({
url: "/ookla_speedtest_exe.cgi",
type: "POST",
data: {
"type": type,
"id": id
}
BTW - if there's a slow down I mentioned it is both on CLI you are using and Asus Ookla page, so if Asus fixed it then it is likely for both. I will install beta in on the weekday to confirm

There are now 3 of us so far that can confirm that rapidly clicking through the menu system (for example to check your settings) on 386 Beta 1 causes the RT-AX58U to crash and reboot.

There are now "4" that can confirm that this happens.

Yes confirmed i can also confirm the issue is not present in the latest stock firmware.
At least 4 of us with RT-AX58U routers have now confirmed that rapidly navigating through the menu in the GUI (for example checking your settings) causes the router to crash and reboot. Hopefully @RMerlin can also confirm as he has an RT-AX58U. The issue is not present in stock or Merlin 384 based firmware. The bug appears to be present in all the 386 Alpha and Beta builds.

Last edited:
At least 3 of us with RT-AX58U routers have now confirmed that rapidly navigating through the menu in the GUI (for example checking your settings) causes the router to crash and reboot. Hopefully @RMerlin can also confirm as he has an RT-AX58U. The issue is not present in stock or Merlin 384 based firmware. The bug appears to be present in all the 386 Alpha and Beta builds.
Brings to mind this old lesson:

“The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
The doctor says, "Then don't do that!”​

:)
Anton

Brings to mind this old lesson:

“The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
The doctor says, "Then don't do that!”​

:)
Anton
Definitely a funny and good medical saying. :) For troubleshooting software though, the opposite is true. Keep doing it until you can replicate it.

I've done a "dirty upgrade" from 384.19 Release to the 386.1 Beta 1 on two of my four devices. Both RT-AC86U's. Will let these ride for a bit before going further. So far everything is fine. Have given them the usual round of reboots following the upgrade and settle. Will not do a factory reset though.

Will likely keep my main router on 384.19 Release until 386.1 Release hits. Unless I get that upgrade itch. Heh.

At least 4 of us with RT-AX58U routers have now confirmed that rapidly navigating through the menu in the GUI (for example checking your settings) causes the router to crash and reboot. Hopefully @RMerlin can also confirm as he has an RT-AX58U. The issue is not present in stock or Merlin 384 based firmware. The bug appears to be present in all the 386 Alpha and Beta builds.
The Adaptive QoS tab will trigger some bwdpi activity just by clicking on the Bandwidth Monitor page if QoS is not enabled. Can you narrow down which tab seems to be the one triggering the crash? Just switch between Adaptive QoS and any other tab repeatedly to see if it is the reason? I'd be most suspect of this because the bwdpi components now require secret sauce for Merlin to include them in his builds, compared to the general public who can't build them anymore.

hm. looks like asus have a custom config and license etc.
i probably can't re-use their binary in spdmerlin

does running /usr/sbin/ookla work without any arguments?
Im not having any luck, it only wants to get a config file from a server.

After the upgrade of AC68P from 384.19 without any resets, in WebUI there's flashing warning "Your router is running low on free NVRAM", which was not the case before the upgrade. From the system page: NVRAM usage : 63437 / 65536 bytes

I'm getting a LOT of "kernel: TCP: time wait bucket table overflow" entries in the log. And a curious "possible DNS-rebind attack detected: sinkhole.netmng.com" entry.
Code:
Dec  6 10:42:44 kernel: net_ratelimit: 237 callbacks suppressed
Dec  6 10:42:44 kernel: TCP: time wait bucket table overflow
Dec  6 10:42:55 kernel: net_ratelimit: 60 callbacks suppressed
Dec  6 10:42:55 kernel: TCP: time wait bucket table overflow
Dec  6 10:42:56 kernel: TCP: time wait bucket table overflow
Dec  6 10:43:00 dnsmasq[759]: possible DNS-rebind attack detected: sinkhole.netmng.com

Thanks as always Eric for your great work.

RT-AX58U in my case, dirty flash. In general everything seems to work correctly, only two minor issues that for now I have found:

-Once updated, my custom certificate would not load. After several checks it seems that now ECC keys are not supported, only RSA certs. In the previous version there was no problem with using an ECC certificate.

-QoS Class page does not show any graphs or rates. It does appear perfectly below the classifications made to traffic, but not graph or rates. Tested with several browsers, and nothing to highlight in their console or log. Maybe related to FlexQoS or dirty Flash?

On the other hand, my OpenVPN setup seems to work fine, and my own ipset scripts too.

Thanks as always Eric for your great work.

RT-AX58U in my case, dirty flash. In general everything seems to work correctly, only two minor issues that for now I have found:

-Once updated, my custom certificate would not load. After several checks it seems that now ECC keys are not supported, only RSA certs. In the previous version there was no problem with using an ECC certificate.

-QoS Class page does not show any graphs or rates. It does appear perfectly below the classifications made to traffic, but not graph or rates. Tested with several browsers, and nothing to highlight in their console or log. Maybe related to FlexQoS or dirty Flash?

On the other hand, my OpenVPN setup seems to work fine, and my own ipset scripts too.
It's not recommended to to a dirty flash. See also this post.

Still having Aimesh problems with an AX88 using beta1 meshed to an AC88 and an AC1750_B1. Just like alpha1/2, the AC88 rejoins without problems, but the AC1750_b1 refuses to join. Both the AC88 and AC1750 are using the latest Asus firmware. Both work fine with 384.19. Maybe the 1750 is no longer going to be supported? Going back to 384.19.

Still having Aimesh problems with an AX88 using beta1 meshed to an AC88 and an AC1750_B1. Just like alpha1/2, the AC88 rejoins without problems, but the AC1750_b1 refuses to join. Both the AC88 and AC1750 are using the latest Asus firmware. Both work fine with 384.19. Maybe the 1750 is no longer going to be supported? Going back to 384.19.
If your talking a 66u-b1 (using 68u firmware) 2 of them are working fine in aimesh mode here with the alphas and beta1

I did a clean install on the AC86U and left the stock Asus RC2-9 on the AC3100 as the node. Working great so far. Traffic Monitor still not working but other than that everything is great. Thanks again Eric.

The Adaptive QoS tab will trigger some bwdpi activity just by clicking on the Bandwidth Monitor page if QoS is not enabled. Can you narrow down which tab seems to be the one triggering the crash? Just switch between Adaptive QoS and any other tab repeatedly to see if it is the reason? I'd be most suspect of this because the bwdpi components now require secret sauce for Merlin to include them in his builds, compared to the general public who can't build them anymore.
@dave14305 you are a smart dude. Running 386.1 Beta 1 on the RT-AX58U, I clicked through the menus without selecting Adaptive QoS and the router appears stable. I then clicked on but did not change the menu options for Adaptive QoS and noticed these new processes running

2944 admin 12688 S < dcd -i 3600 -p 43200 -b -d /tmp/bwdpi/
2957 admin 14964 S wred -B
2966 admin 9872 S bwdpi_wred_alive

The router then crashed and rebooted. So yes, it appears the Adaptive QoS is the stinker. @RMerlin it looks like the culprit is the Adaptive QoS causing the router crashes. Thanks @dave14305 for the great idea.

Does your WAN stay up if you stop/start a client? I'm experiencing that right now.

I'm getting this too on my AX-88U. Running one VPN Client on #1 no problem. When I add another client on VPN 2, WAN connection drops. I then have to remove Client #2, then reboot to get WAN back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!