What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
VIC-20 FTW.
I vividly remember being excited to type in Weather Prophet for my C64 from this issue. I loved the weather.
1611244112167.png

Last edited:
Just want to add even though beta 5 is not published yet, however with GPL 386_41700 guest network on RT-AX88U is working well, you can use guest network 1 with aimesh again if you like and let's Encrypt is working as well.

Looks like Beta 5 will be a solid release then. Hopefully Asus didn't mess up something else again but being that GPL was used for official firmwares, it's probably good enough for release, so we'll see

Looks like Beta 5 will be a solid release then. Hopefully Asus didn't mess up something else again but being that GPL was used for official firmwares, it's probably good enough for release, so we'll see

Yep, so far I have it running over 1 day and 10 hrs and it is working well, I am hoping finger crossed things stay well and we will be one step closer to final version.

Yep, so far I have it running over 1 day and 10 hrs and it is working well, I am hoping finger crossed things stay well and we will be one step closer to final version.

As long as this version fixes the slight inconsistencies in wireless speeds I have with this new RT-AX88U over the RT-AX58U, I think I would be good with it for a while

@Merlin. Can you give us more info on the failed update (2.83) to the DNS issue. And possibly tell us if this will be delaying any releases for Asus or yourself ?

I did a dirty flash on my RT-AX88U from beta 3 to beta 4b, and everything has been solid for about a day and a half now. I can also confirm that Let's Encrypt, and VPN client/server is working as it should in this release as well.

Last edited:
@Merlin. Can you give us more info on the failed update (2.83) to the DNS issue

And possibly tell us if this will be delaying any releases for Asus or yourself ?

I can't speak for Asus, but personally I`m not gonna release beta 5 until this is addressed. Fixing A by breaking B is not a solution, and I`ll need any final fix to get properly tested as part of a beta cycle.

Still going strong with Beta 4b.

Attachments

• messageImage_1611297486053.jpg
    messageImage_1611297486053.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 197
Had the AX88u on B4B to drop all connectivity abruptly at 3:11am, and this time it wasn't because of the Cat. The first clue that something happened was an alert from the Nest cams that their connections dropped. That clued me into the time frame to search the log. I've pasted from just before the event to give a better picture of what was going on. At 4am some other connectivity related issues in the log with the 802.3ad bond but those were related to a firmware upgrade of the NAS which aligns to the email I received about it.

Tried to add the text from the log, and then attach the log output as a txt file but had some problems posting when I did that, apologies for posting the log contents as a jpg - added a pdf as well

Nothing prior to the 3:11am event for a couple of hours, not sure there's enough here to know what happened but thought I'd ask

Attachments

• hmmm.jpg
    hmmm.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 58
  • hmmm.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
That jpg file is not readable.

Use the Insert 'Code' tool to copy the contents of the pdf instead.

I can't speak for Asus, but personally I`m not gonna release beta 5 until this is addressed. Fixing A by breaking B is not a solution, and I`ll need any final fix to get properly tested as part of a beta cycle.
Looks like the openwrt guys pointed Simon in the right direction and a new commit is pushed.

Looks like the openwrt guys pointed Simon in the right direction and a new commit is pushed.
Bleeding edge. Feels like now we are just a baby step away from a continuous Merlin build with blue-green deployment approach:D

Initial feedback on the two patches from Simon weren't looking good so far, seems it's still broken.

Another thing to keep in mind: Asuswrt-Merlin's dnsmasq has extensive changes done to its crypto code so it can use OpenSSL instead of Nettle. Upgrading to 2.84 won't be just a matter of merging the changes, that DNSSEC updated code wil also require to be adapted to OpenSSL. So, it will take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!