What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my take on beta software. It's fun to give it a spin and be part of the early crowd, but don't install beta software on a system you're not prepared to do a nuclear reset on and go back to something that worked before.
The only time loading a backed up config is an advisable strategy, and a good one for returning to a previously known working condition quickly ... as long as a backed up config is tied to a specific firmware version.

Uploaded the Merlin beta4b build for the RT-AC86U and while not as cool as the 4051, the temps are lower compared to the beta4. Instead of the 20 degree savings with the 4051, I am seeing a 10 degree lower cpu temp. Now 80C with room temp at 23C.

I would wait. There is a major security issue that is waiting on a patch to fix. All current firmwares including all the beta have the problem. Wait for Beta 5. Just my 2 cents.
This security flaw isn’t present in the stock Asus firmware, correct? Only the Merlin builds?

I would wait. There is a major security issue that is waiting on a patch to fix. All current firmwares including all the beta have the problem. Wait for Beta 5. Just my 2 cents.
For future reference. When the full Merlin 386 firmware is released, can I go from 384.19 to 386? Or would I need to download the ASUS 386 and then go to the Merlin version?

For future reference. When the full Merlin 386 firmware is released, can I go from 384.19 to 386? Or would I need to download the ASUS 386 and then go to the Merlin version?

Look at post #1 of this thread. Merlin has upgrade notes there that has recommendations

As far as i know there should be no issues going directly to Merlin.

Make sure you perform factory reset after updating to 386 and re-enter all of the settings by hand, not restoring a config file.

Then:
RMerlin said:
In the mean time disabling DNSSEC should be good enough (and ensuring you use an upstream DNS server that you trust).

Make sure you perform factory reset after updating to 386 and re-enter all of the settings by hand, not restoring a config file.

Then:
How do you do that? A quick search showed nothing. Thanks!

How do you do that? A quick search showed nothing. Thanks!
@L&LD has created a write up on multiple instruction sets useful for setting up and troubleshooting routers. Look here, then the M&M configuration. This instruction says perform Factory Reset from the GUI, located in the Administration, the Restore/Save/Upload tab. First option on the tab, check the box to reinitialize all settings.

There is another quick way to factory reset by holding the WPS button in while turning the power on, and depending on your model, either hold it in until it reboots or until the power light cycles and goes out, then release the button.

Its advisable to perform a factory reset again after these betas have gone to release and you update to the final 386 release.

Last edited:
No problems here with RT-AX58U on beta4.

Just really depends on what your internet speeds are. On 1gb fiber for me, it would vary from 400-900 mbps but the times it didn't reach 900, it was because the speedtest was only using 1 CPU core and was pegging it at 100% during the test,

@L&LD has created a write up on multiple instruction sets useful for setting up and troubleshooting routers. Look here, then the M&M configuration. This instruction says perform Factory Reset from the GUI, located in the Administration, the Restore/Save/Upload tab. First option on the tab, check the box to reinitialize all settings.

There is another quick way to factory reset by holding the WPS button in while turning the power on, and depending on your model, either hold it in until it reboots or until the power light cycles and goes out, then release the button.

Its advisable to perform a factory reset again after these betas have gone to release and you update to the final 386 release.
Thanks for the link! It's very useful indeed!
But I actually meant to ask about the following:
`In the mean time disabling DNSSEC should be good enough (and ensuring you use an upstream DNS server that you trust). `

A full reset is not always required. In all the firmware updates I've applied to my routers over the last three years, I have yet to do a full reset. There have been a few times where there was an issue that was created during the upgrade process that could have been fixed with a full reset, but in each of these few cases, there was a solution that did not require a full reset. I suggest being prepared to apply a full reset but trying a straight upgrade without a reset, and then if there are issues, determine if they are characteristic of the upgrade process or the new firmware. If its the former, then do a full reset.

Thanks for the link! It's very useful indeed!
But I actually meant to ask about the following:
`In the mean time disabling DNSSEC should be good enough (and ensuring you use an upstream DNS server that you trust). `

This is the only thing we can do right now for security purposes until Merlin merges the new patch and releases Beta 5. And from looking at the commits this fix appears to be a test version so it may need plenty of us to test it out and make sure the fix didn't break anything else.

This started popping up in the log

Jan 24 22:53:14 RT-AX88U custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart ddns)
Jan 24 22:54:14 RT-AX88U dnsmasq-dhcp[25407]: Error sending DHCP packet to 192.168.1.234: Operation not permitted
Jan 24 22:54:14 RT-AX88U amas_lib[1287]: Error locking /var/lock/amas_node_list.lock: 0 Already locked
Jan 24 22:54:14 RT-AX88U amas_lib[1287]: Error unlocking -1: 9 Bad file descriptor
Jan 24 22:54:46 RT-AX88U dnsmasq-dhcp[1186]: Error sending DHCP packet to 192.168.1.73: Operation not permitted
Jan 24 22:54:48 RT-AX88U amas_lib[1287]: Error locking /var/lock/amas_node_list.lock: 0 Already locked
Jan 24 22:54:48 RT-AX88U amas_lib[1287]: Error unlocking -1: 9 Bad file descriptor
Jan 24 22:54:48 RT-AX88U amas_lib[1287]: Error locking /var/lock/amas_node_list.lock: 0 Already locked
Jan 24 22:54:48 RT-AX88U amas_lib[1287]: Error unlocking -1: 9 Bad file descriptor
Jan 24 22:57:16 RT-AX88U kernel: br0: received packet on eth7 with own address as source address

amas_lib? ddns disabled, not sure why it keeps getting restarted?

Just really depends on what your internet speeds are. On 1gb fiber for me, it would vary from 400-900 mbps but the times it didn't reach 900, it was because the speedtest was only using 1 CPU core and was pegging it at 100% during the test,
I see. I live in a under developed country in terms of internet infrastructure so the most affordable I can get is 100 Mbps DL / 5 Mbps UL (yes, 5) and SpeedTest results are around 97/5.

anyone else with these messages?
Captura de tela de 2021-01-25 10-53-18.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!