What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we're looking at a few more weeks of debugging until I can finally get 386.1 finalized. At this point maybe I should just pull a Brainslayer, and give up on pushing out "final" releases, and just push a constant stream of betas...
Seen on Twitter:
2020: I’m going to be the most crazy year ever known
2021: Hold my beer

Aside from the wifi SoC firmware and components tied to the network swtich, there was one low-level precompiled file that was changed in 41535, which seemed rather random to me. I just downgraded it to the previous version, and so far this version seems to properly allow other images to be flashed on top of it.

Anyone with an RT-AX88U and the time to do some tests, please try the RT-AX88U beta 4 image uploaded to https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds/ .

1- Make sure you have a local copy of the beta 3 release
2- Make sure you have either Asus' Firmware Recovery Tool, or a TFTP client (personally I use FTP Rush, but there might be more intuitive clients available)
3- Make sure nobody will care if it takes your network down for a few minutes

Please test the following:

1) Flash RT-AX88U_386.1_beta4-gb9175c6a96_cferom_ubi.w
2) After the reboot, try re-flashing it a second time, see if it fails
3) Try flashing down to beta 3, checking again if it fails

If these tests succeed, then it means at least the firmware flashing issue will be resolved. No clue about the Trend Micro-related issues however, I haven't had time to investigate that (one crisis at a time...)

Aside from the wifi SoC firmware and components tied to the network swtich, there was one low-level precompiled file that was changed in 41535, which seemed rather random to me. I just downgraded it to the previous version, and so far this version seems to properly allow other images to be flashed on top of it.

Anyone with an RT-AX88U and the time to do some tests, please try the RT-AX88U beta 4 image uploaded to https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds/ .

2- Make sure you have either Asus' Firmware Recovery Tool, or a TFTP client (personally I use FTP Rush, but there might be more intuitive clients available)

If these tests succeed, then it means at least the firmware flashing issue will be resolved. No clue about the Trend Micro-related issues however, I haven't had time to investigate that (one crisis at a time...)

Doing a flash right now. Will report back shortly if it helps.

Step 1 failed for me:
Invalid Firmware Upload
Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This might result from incorrect image or error transmission, please check the model name RT-AX88U and version of firmware from support site and try again."

Damn, so nvram reset required then?

No, settings are safe. You just need to use the tool or a tftp client to flash while in recovery mode.

Step 1 failed for me:
Invalid Firmware Upload
Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This might result from incorrect image or error transmission, please check the model name RT-AX88U and version of firmware from support site and try again."

If you already have the broken beta 4, you need to revert back to beta 3 before, using the recovery tool or a tftp client.

AX88U: I dirty converted from Beta4 to Beta3 about five times today, One time I did get an invalid firmware message, after a power off/on, then able to convert 4->3. I've stayed with Beta3, as no issues in last weeks.

**Starting from Beta 3**

I am confirming successful flash to Beta 4. (From Beta 3)
And Successful re-flash of Beta 4B. (From beta 4B)
And finally, also confirming Successful downgrade back to Beta 3. (From beta 4B)

(No manual power-offs inbetween other than the automatic reboot after upgrade)

Whatever low level stuff you found and replaced seems to have solved the flashing issues!

Thank you Eric!!!

Last edited:
Another thing to try is see if 384.19 is accepted when you have the broken beta 4 flashed.
Not using the f/w upgrade page.

I am confirming successful flash to Beta 4.
And Successful re-flash of Beta 4.
And finally, also confirming Successful downgrade back to Beta 3.

(No manual power-offs inbetween other than the automatic reboot after upgrade)

Whatever low level stuff you found and replaced seems to have solved the flashing issues!

Thank you Eric!!!
Same here, I was able to test & flash & reflash without issues.

Can confirm I was able to reflash and downgrade to Beta 3, thanks for quick fix as I managed to download the new beta 5 minutes before you pulled it. Had same issues on AX88U as reported previously with speeds, on beta 3 I was getting 600-700MB down, beta 4 less than 200 and also seemed to be slower over 5ghz on mesh although that might be unrelated. Trend micro workaround did see some improvement but I could never get anything over 200MB. Since flashing back to beta 3, everything is back to normal.

Thanks for testing the beta 4 rebuild. One more test for you guys:

1) Test performance with the Trend Micro engine enabled with this test build.
2) Test again with the beta4b build that I just uploaded to the Test Builds folder

Are either or both of these now giving you your usual performance? I can't test for sure myself, my performance is slightly lower than usual right now, however I suspect it's an ISP node congestion issue, as the performance drop isn't that big (350/400 Mbps down, and 25/50 Mbps up).

The first beta 4 had a downgraded TM engine. In 4b I rebuilt once again with the 41535 engine (but still with the SDK fix in place that resolved the flashing issues).

Very weird. I have 2 ax88u. I was able to downgrade back to beta3 from the broken beta 4 on one but not the other. Guess, I'll have to use the firmware recovery utility.
I also experienced internet connection speed slow down on beta 4. Was able to recover to normal speed after rejecting trend micro consent under administration -> privacy.

Have a spare AX88U for play/testing/backup.
a). AX88U on Beta3. Hard Factory Rest performed.
b). Ethernet cable connect to Router from laptop. Installed beta4-gb9175c6a96 on without error. Rebooted without error.
c). Re-flashed beta4-gb9175c6a96 a second time. No errors.
d). Flashed Beta3. No errors.

Hi again,
another High Temp issue about RT-AC86U.

I've just downgraded to 384.19 and noticed another thing.
The following setting: Energy Efficient Ethernet ENABLED

In 384.19 the following setting is ENABLED
In 386.1b4 is DISABLED

Other users confirm this too?
Interesting. On 386.1b2 is was disabled too, when I didn't have the extremely high temps.
I just tried enabling it on b4, and temps dropped another 4 degrees immediately. 96 down to 92 which gives me a bit more breathing room.

It's not a setting I ever checked on 384.19 as the temps were never an issue then.

Thanks for testing the beta 4 rebuild. One more test for you guys:

1) Test performance with the Trend Micro engine enabled with this test build.
2) Test again with the beta4b build that I just uploaded to the Test Builds folder

Are either or both of these now giving you your usual performance? I can't test for sure myself, my performance is slightly lower than usual right now, however I suspect it's an ISP node congestion issue, as the performance drop isn't that big (350/400 Mbps down, and 25/50 Mbps up).

The first beta 4 had a downgraded TM engine. In 4b I rebuilt once again with the 41535 engine (but still with the SDK fix in place that resolved the flashing issues).

Flashing your freshest BETA 4B Build now and will report back.
The current beta 4 (RT-AX88U_386.1_beta4-gb9175c6a96_cferom_ubi) for RT-AX88U with Trend Micro Engine enabled still SEEMS to have performance issues.

Hoping to see improvements with Beta 4B

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online