What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any problems flashing AX88U from beta4 to beta4b? Tried number of times, redownloaded the firmware, rebooted the router - no luck
Same here. I was able to downgrade to B3 successfully, then upgrade to B4b successfully without having to use the rescue tool. I've had all of the Trend Micro AI turned off. I tried the B4 --> B4b and received the error.

Dirty update on AX58U from Beta 3 to Beta 4, running well, thanks!

Still experiencing https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-1-beta-is-now-available.68205/post-648735 :

After update or a restart (scheduled weekly) some devices are getting incorrect 192.168.50.49 DNS address via DHCP and lose network connectivity.

Basic setup, AIProtection, Diversion, DoT to 9.9.9.9 and DNS Privacy (Router).

I think it might be caused by DHCP/DNS timing issue, some devices are getting incorrect 192.168.50.49 DNS address via DHCP (instead of 192.168.50.1) early after reboot and lose internet connectivity (still connected to WiFi but can't access internet due to DNS issue).

Rebooting the affected device or changing the WiFi setting on the router that'll cause it to fully reconnect (like 20MHz to 20/40MHz channel width) and get the correct DNS resolves it (until the next router update/restart).

Cooling fan came this morning. AC86U running 384.19 CPU temp settled out to 56C from 69C. Dirty flash to 396.1 beta 4b and CPU temp went to 67C with fan.
QOS Bandwidth monitor "meters" do not register correctly. Status Internet Traffic bar "meter" does. No other negative observations right now.

Has anyone had any problems flashing AX88U from beta4 to beta4b? Tried number of times, redownloaded the firmware, rebooted the router - no luck
I did have a firmware error on the first try. Re-downloaded and tried again and it worked. Odd but glad to be off Beta4 without having to go through a full wipe/reset.

Made up a test setup with a spare laptop and AX88U directly into a cable modem. Ran the tests (three on each setup), while watching a couple matches of rugby, so a good evening all around. Only had to run the ASUS Firmware Restoration once, for ASUS 386_41535 back to 384 level.
Shows conclusively for AX88U that Beta4 and RC10 386-41535 have issues. Also Beta4b about 10% slower then Beta4-gb9. & Beta3 when all TrendMicro apps enabled.

1610421257473.png

My router and node AC5300's both show bw80 for 5Ghz-2.
Full Reset in my future for the Aimesh nodes... Can't even turn off the 5ghz-2 radio with Aimesh. It's like it's not even getting any of the settings. *sigh*

Made up a test setup with a spare laptop and AX88U directly into a cable modem. Ran the tests (three on each setup), while watching a couple matches of rugby, so a good evening all around. Only had to run the ASUS Firmware Restoration once, for ASUS 386_41535 back to 384 level.
Shows conclusively for AX88U that Beta4 and RC10 386-41535 have issues. Also Beta4b about 10% slower then Beta4-gb9. & Beta3 when all TrendMicro apps enabled.

View attachment 29400
Thank you for doing this, now I don't and can focus on mi AC5300 wifi 5Ghz-2 issues

I thought I was the only one had the problem. My AX88U kicked my phone out of the internet repeatedly. I ended up recovery with ASUS recovery and re-flashed Beta 3 again. Now I'm happy

I noticed that a recent git pull the build fails for AX88U. The AC86U built fine. Anyone have the same issue.

So far beta4b is running great on my AX88U and AC86U (AiMesh Node)

Good day!
AC86U 386_1_beta4
Two problems, I immediately saw:

1. The temperature, 90 degrees on this firmware version, was about 81-82 (Solved)

on 386_1_beta4
Снимок.JPG

on 384.19
Снимок1.JPG

2. When my AC86 acts as an OVPN client, the Internet through the tunnel works fine, but I lose access to my AC86U. When the OPVN server "crashes" or is manually disconnected, then I see that the connection status of the OPVN client on the AC86U is off and the local Internet does not work for me. Solution - reboot AC86U

Last edited:
Full Reset in my future for the Aimesh nodes... Can't even turn off the 5ghz-2 radio with Aimesh. It's like it's not even getting any of the settings. *sigh*
Solved! Just changed Power adjustment down to Balance, applied, then set it back to Performance. Why it worked, don't know, tried it on a whim after a few adult beverages o_O.
Resetting with scMerlin, Rebooting didn't help either, setting "Wireless/Professional/Tx power adjustment" from Performance to Balanced and back to Perfermance is what fixed it, have to thank Markers Mark (46) and Monkey Shoulder for the inspiration.

AX88u continues working great on B4b...

Attachments

• AC5300 5Ghz-2 fixed.jpg
    AC5300 5Ghz-2 fixed.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 115
Good day!
AC86U 386_1_beta4
Two problems, I immediately saw:

1. The temperature, 90 degrees on this firmware version, was about 81-82
2. When my AC86 acts as an OVPN client, the Internet through the tunnel works fine, but I lose access to my AC86U. When the OPVN server "crashes" or is manually disconnected, then I see that the connection status of the OPVN client on the AC86U is off and the local Internet does not work for me. Solution - reboot AC86U

View attachment 29406

What does pwr show show? The CPU Wait should be enabled...

pwr show - My AC86U with Beta4...

Power Management Configuration
Functional Block Status
CPU Wait ENABLED
Ethernet Auto Power Down ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status:Activated)

What does pwr show show? The CPU Wait should be enabled...

pwr show - My AC86U with Beta4...

Functional Block Status
CPU Wait ENABLED

This is the first time I hear that I have to include something in SSh instead of a simple firmware update !!!!!!!!!!

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC86U 386.1_beta4 Fri Jan 8 22:42:18 UTC 2021
system@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root# pwr show

Functional Block Status
CPU Wait DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status:Deactivated)

indeed, I gave the command and the temperature dropped by 8 degrees. Great :)

system @ RT-AC86U: / tmp / home / root # pwr config --wait on

Снимок1.JPG

Last edited:
This is the first time I hear that I have to include something in SSh instead of a simple firmware update !!!!!!!!!!

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC86U 386.1_beta4 Fri Jan 8 22:42:18 UTC 2021
system@RT-AC86U:/tmp/home/root# pwr show

Functional Block Status
CPU Wait DISABLED
Switch Deep Green Mode ENABLED (status:Deactivated)

indeed, I gave the command and the temperature dropped by 8 degrees. Great :)

system @ RT-AC86U: / tmp / home / root # pwr config --wait on

View attachment 29409

Are you running 386.1b4 or 386.1b4b? b4b has CPU wait enabled, and that appears to drop CPU temperature significantly, but not all the way down to 384 levels. Both my AC86Us are about 5C higher with b4b than with 384.19.

Are you running 386.1b4 or 386.1b4b? b4b has CPU wait enabled, and that appears to drop CPU temperature significantly, but not all the way down to 384 levels. Both my AC86Us are about 5C higher with b4b than with 384.19.
386.1_beta4

I checked on two AC86Us with 386.1_beta4 installed and on both cpu wait was disabled.
On both I issued pwr config - -wait on and on both the temperature dropped by 8-10 degrees.
Now 82 - without additional cooling and 64 - with 120mm fan at 400 rpm

w\o cooling
Снимок1.JPG

120mm Fan
Снимок2.JPG

Functional Block Status
CPU Wait ENABLED
Energy Efficient Ethernet ENABLED

Tell me, is the situation with pwr show valid for AC66U_B1 or is there another command?
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 386.1_beta4 Fri Jan 8 22:43:29 UTC 2021

Last edited:
Dirty update from beta3, everything works as expected.
Updated AiMesh router (AX58U) first and main router (AX88U) after.
What is the recommended way of updating AiMesh nodes for the Merlin firmware?

Do I log into the main AiMesh router and update the node?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!