What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The speed test run directly on the router will be handicapped by the router cpu.If you are getting full speed using the speedtest app then you are good.

I see alot of people complaining about this.

Speedtest app > internal router test.
Exactly this. I think is the best part of this feature isn't the speed test but the latency/jitter/packet loss measurements. These will help a lot in diagnosing issues with ISP's vs WiFi clients, when running the tests side by side.

I saw people talking about beta 4b, where is it? I couldn't find it

For comparison, despite initial problems with ALPHAs and early beta, Im pretty much OK except for a device icon issue in the web pages where they randomly dont show at their correct size and the layout screws up the gui tables.

MY QOS works fine with Beta4B. I use DLSReports and get A+ on everything. I put Gaming as low because I don't need it.

I have in this order of priority:
  • Work from Home
  • Web Surfing
  • Audio and Video Streaming
  • File Transferring
  • Others
  • Gaming
  • Learn from Home
with manual upload and download values set and GEFROCE NOW off.

I used to use FRESH QOS, but don't now.

I have TWO AX86U routers - one at each address. One is 383mbps down and 37 upstream (average it always hits) - and the other is 219mbps and 21.
Both are cable broadband into a Virgin Media router set as Modem Mode only.

Both are fine with QOS for me with bufferbloat?

I assume you self-compiled your firmware ... because there is no Beta 4B for the RT-AX86U released by Merlin.???
There is one for the RT-AC86U ....
rt-ax86u-test-builds.JPG

On your QoS response - strange? - and you not getting "massive dcd taint errors caused by the version of Trend Micro included with Merlinware " ?? As I recall Merlin back-revved the Trend Micro after issues with other models.

You don't mention Aimesh - so I assume you not using Guest WiFi 1 over Aimesh to all mesh routers? Works fully with stock - but spams logs with beta 4.

What do you get for "pwr show" command in SSH ?

Exactly this. I think is the best part of this feature isn't the speed test but the latency/jitter/packet loss measurements. These will help a lot in diagnosing issues with ISP's vs WiFi clients, when running the tests side by side.

100% agreed boss.

@RMerlin i told you lasttime that the speedtest app in the router dont messure 2loadbalanced lines. After a wipe of the jffs partition. It does. As soon as you make some settings IT gets broken

I assume you self-compiled your firmware ... because there is no Beta 4B for the RT-AX86U released by Merlin.???
There is one for the RT-AC86U ....
View attachment 29525

On your QoS response - strange? - and you not getting "massive dcd taint errors caused by the version of Trend Micro included with Merlinware " ?? As I recall Merlin back-revved the Trend Micro after issues with other models.

You don't mention Aimesh - so I assume you not using Guest WiFi 1 over Aimesh to all mesh routers? Works fully with stock - but spams logs with beta 4.

What do you get for "pwr show" command in SSH ?

Perhaps I got the naming wrong as BETA4 (the first beta4) was in the test builds folder and fixed QOS generally. Then a couple of days later, there was another BETA4 in the BETA downloads area when the other models were also done, this time the actual Beta4. This is what I mean by BETA4B for this specific model.

I don't use AIMESH so can't give any feedback about that bit.
I haven't seem those DCD taint errors in my log either - but looked at Info and ALL.

pwr show output as follows:

WIFI Off Disabled
DISK Off Disabled
PCI ASPM N/A
UBUS DCM N/A
CPU Off N/A
CPU Wait N/A
CPU Speed N/A
XRDP Gate N/A
NET Down Disabled
PHY Down Disabled
PHY EEE Enabled
PHY APD Enabled
SF2 DGM Enabled
DRAM SR N/A
AVS N/A
WLAN Down N/A
PMD Off N/A

I have just taken delivery of my new rt-ax86u. I'm reading mixed reports in this thread regarding the Beta4 release on the ax86u.

I currently only run FlexQOS and and Skynet on my ac68u with one ac68u aimesh node and being in Australia only have a 100/20 internet connection.

Can I replace my main ac68u with this new ax86u using the Beta4 Merlin or are there issues??

Thanks

I cant upgrade at the moment... could I trouble someone on B4 (preferably 86U) to try these commands and let me know the output.. wondering if it throws an error or not

Code:
echo "base64 encode test" | openssl base64
Code:
echo "base64 encode test" | openssl enc -base64
Code:
echo "base64 encode test" | openssl base64 -e

I have just taken delivery of my new rt-ax86u. I'm reading mixed reports in this thread regarding the Beta4 release on the ax86u.

I currently only run FlexQOS and and Skynet on my ac68u with one ac68u aimesh node and being in Australia only have a 100/20 internet connection.

Can I replace my main ac68u with this new ax86u using the Beta4 Merlin or are there issues??

Thanks

Adaptive QoS on AX86U using Beta 4 is not fully functional. I had to revert to my AC87U for that reason.

The downstream QoS is limiting bandwidth fine on all interfaces : Ethernet, 2.4GHz and 5Ghz.
The upstream QoS is not limiting bandwidth on 2.4GHz and 5Ghz. It works only on the Ethernet ports.

The details:

• Internet connection 135/23 as tested without QoS.
  • QoS settings : Adaptive QoS, Manual speed, Max download: 100, Max upload: 20.
  • SpeedTest on Ethernet : 98.58 down, 19.75 up
  • SpeedTest on 5Ghz : 98.47 down, 22.82 up
  • SpeedTest on 2.4Ghz : 98.44 down, 22.82 up

Thanks

If you stick to Guest WiFi 2 and ignore the log spamming after enabling AiProtection so that Adaptive QoS can work - you should be OK until final release when I'm sure Merlin will have sorted the remaining issues.

Perhaps I got the naming wrong as BETA4 (the first beta4) was in the test builds folder and fixed QOS generally. Then a couple of days later, there was another BETA4 in the BETA downloads area when the other models were also done, this time the actual Beta4. This is what I mean by BETA4B for this specific model.

I don't use AIMESH so can't give any feedback about that bit.
I haven't seem those DCD taint errors in my log either - but looked at Info and ALL.

pwr show output as follows:

WIFI Off Disabled
DISK Off Disabled
PCI ASPM N/A
UBUS DCM N/A
CPU Off N/A
CPU Wait N/A
CPU Speed N/A
XRDP Gate N/A
NET Down Disabled
PHY Down Disabled
PHY EEE Enabled
PHY APD Enabled
SF2 DGM Enabled
DRAM SR N/A
AVS N/A
WLAN Down N/A
PMD Off N/A

Yep - pretty sure you are running the same beta4 as I was ... power management is also defective in that release but fixed for those few models who got a 4b release. The Github commit suggests that it was fixed for the RT-AX86U as well - but no Merlin compile of a 4b for this router was released [which is why I thought you may have self-compiled .... but you should have had even more issues if you did since Asus has purposely broken the ability to self compile to protect its closed source bits from being illegally applied to non-Asus routers].

Edit: The dcd Tainted line to look for is ...
[Date] ........... RT-AX86U-E..... kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 12256 Comm: dcd Tainted: P O 4.1.52 #2
and the 13 or so "kernel:" lines that follow it.

This 386 code project is a tough one - I'm happy to be patient in the knowledge that @RMerlin will sort everything within his control before he issues a final release. Some "noisy" issues like "wlceventd" will remain beyond his control - but hidden with the use of the Scribe addon.

Last edited:
I can't speak for its effectiveness, but the AX86u is now supported by CakeQOS.

Not according to Github ...
https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/issues/62

And see this thread for user with problems trying to install it ...
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/error-on-rt-ax86u.69302/

NB - it is supported on the RT-AC86U

Edit: If using Stock firmware - no point installing CakeQoS because you get triple A+ ratings on Adaptive with Manual settings at 95% of speed ... UNLESS of course you want to dodge Trend Micro "spyware" :D.

Who knows how to interpret router logs.
I have an issue (that i don't think is specific to the latest beta software) where RANDOMLY my primary router 5300 will drop all wifi connections.
On the front of the router.. ALL white led's are lit solid except for the internet light which flashes.

I've had to power cycle my router 3 times today.
Sometimes it'll only happen once a day.

Been happening MORE since i started using AIMESH.
Previous to AIMESH (which is only recent - running it for 7 days) i used to run the 68U in media bridge mode... and the hangs would only happen 2-3 times a week.

Anyone else seeing issues like that?

AX88U and AX86U nodes on B4(b) firmware. I woke up this morning to no 5G WiFi. The band was still advertised but nothing would connect and my phone reported wrong password. Rebooted and the same. Logged into the router and switched off AiProtection and 5G instantly became available with devices connecting. Switching AiProtection back on again has not caused 5G to become unavailable again yet.

HB

@RMerlin I'm seeing half of the normal OpenVPN client speeds with my AC86U on 386.1 B4b. Any idea what could be causing this and what I could do to troubleshoot?

EDIT: Also I think the cpu usage is higher on 386.1B when using openvpn...

No one else noticing the reduced client speeds when using Openvpn with 386.1B? At least on the AC86U? I downgraded to 384.19 again and the difference is quite big. Almost twice the speeds using 384.19 compared to the beta..

The temp on my AC88U on 384.19 was 78c, now with 386.1 Beta 4 is 82-83c. I thought it was happening to other models, not the AC88U. (stock cooling system)
Apart from that it's stable, but I'm worried about the temp, don't know it's max supported temp before throttling or rebooting itself.

The temp on my AC88U on 384.19 was 78c, now with 386.1 Beta 4 is 82-83c. I thought it was happening to other models, not the AC88U. (stock cooling system)
Apart from that it's stable, but I'm worried about the temp, don't know it's max supported temp before throttling or rebooting itself.
My AC88U shows the temps as below. This is pretty consistent give or take a degree or two. The temperature in the room is ~19.5C during the daytime.

Temperatures with Fan Off B4.jpg

On AX86 I did notice significant performance drop on VPN speeds as well.
- with Beta3: 120 Mbps
- with Beta4: ~60-70 Mbps

I did not observe temperature increase with Beta4 though.

@Merlin: have you by any chance figured out the root cause for performance drop in Beta4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!