What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.10 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Site survey crashes 5 ghz radio ac-68u
That's not a crash, that's the 5 GHz radio being switched to a different channel by the automatic channel selection daemon (acsd)

Site survey crashes 5 ghz radio ac-68u
As a datapoint. Not seeing such a crash or NONACSD log entries or 5 GHz radio switching on an RT-AC68U 386.10 final running YazFi when running Site Survey. What the system log shows:
Code:
Mar 11 15:27:33 rc_service: httpd 284:notify_rc restart_wlcscan
Mar 11 15:27:33 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart wlcscan)
Mar 11 15:27:52 rc_service: httpd 284:notify_rc restart_wlcscan
Mar 11 15:27:52 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart wlcscan)
Mar 11 15:29:30 rc_service: httpd 284:notify_rc restart_wlcscan
Mar 11 15:29:30 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart wlcscan)

Last edited:
works well onmy ac5300 thanks
386.10 is now available for WIfi 5 (AC) models.

Code:
- NEW: Added Site Survey page under Network Tools tab.
       (RT-AC86U/GT-AC2900).
- UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.89.
- UPDATED: openvpn to 2.6.0.
- UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1t.
- UPDATED: miniupnpd to 2.3.3.
- UPDATED: Asus security daemon updated to 2.0 engine (patch
           from Asus)
- CHANGED: Moved WiFi Radar and Site Survey to the
           Network Tools tab
- CHANGED: Disabled auto logout on System Log and
           Wireless Log pages.
- CHANGED: Reduced EDNS packet size from 1280 to 1232
           bytes in dnsmasq, to better work with some
           upstream servers not fully supporting EDNS0.
- FIXED: NTP redirection wouldn`t work properly with
         Guest Network, removed redirection for these.
- FIXED: Added missing Tools icon on ROG UI (icon
         contributed by Cody).
- FIXED: RT-AC68U may crash when using Media Bridge mode
         with a specific SSID length (patch from Asus)

Please keep discussions in this thread on this specific release. This thread will eventually be locked once the release feedback has died down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Updated, did notice high nvram usage on RT-AC68U, did a clean refresh, factory reset, AP mode, no DHCP list, only WiFi set up. 60674 / 65536 bytes

Other than that I don't see any problems.

I also noticed a change introduced by openvpn 2.6.0. The default value of connect-retry in the previous version was 5 seconds, which was changed to 1 second in 2.6.0.

Thanks for continuing to provide updates for these AC models.

Last edited:
60674 / 65536 bytes
As another data point on NVRAM usage on an RT-AC68U (wireless router mode) running final 386.10. Using just the YazDHCP and YazFi scripts, approx 19 reserved main LAN IP addresses, no USB devices attached. Running the two scripts/code for clearing certain NVRAM variables mentioned on page one (here) significantly reduces the NVRAM usage. Currently NVRAM usage is 47760 / 65536 bytes

As another data point on NVRAM usage on an RT-AC68U (wireless router mode) running final 386.10. Using just the YazDHCP and YazFi scripts, approx 19 reserved main LAN IP addresses, no USB devices attached. Running the two scripts/code for clearing certain NVRAM variables mentioned on page one (here) significantly reduces the NVRAM usage. Currently NVRAM usage is 47760 / 65536 bytes
Thanks a lot, now it's only 45569 / 65536 bytes, my RT-AC68U has never used so little nvram.

In the previous version (386.7_2), it was about 55000 or so.

EDIT:

After a reboot it went back to 59504 / 65536 bytes, I guess those empty entries were created again.

Anyway, I don't worry about this though, having the same high nvram usage in the 386.9, I don't see any ill effects.

Last edited:
EDIT:

After a reboot it went back to 59504 / 65536 bytes, I guess those empty entries were created again.
I rarely reboot that RT-AC68U router and have only been running those two scripts/code after flashing new firmware. Guess if I do reboot for any reason other than firmware flashing I'd have to re-run those two scripts. No doubt some enterprising person could likely create some sort of boot script that could run those commands every time the router is rebooted or powered on.

I couldn't come up with a satisfactory solution to improve on nvram usage in 386.10 (nothing but a few dozen bytes could be saved with what I explored). I might have to get more radical in 386.11 and reduce the number of allowed OpenVPN clients to 2 for the RT-AC68U.

Do we know what is taking the extra NVRAM in newer firmware? I remember AC68U and variants having about 10KB free NVRAM after clean boot.

Do we know what is taking the extra NVRAM in newer firmware? I remember AC68U and variants having about 10KB free NVRAM after clean boot.
I'm not sure, when I diffed the changes made to defaults.c since the last two GPL merges, very few new nvrams seemed to be added. Therefore I suspect the increased usage came from values assigned to existing variables, or new temporary variables generated during runtime.

Over the past three years, I suspect a lot of additional nvram usage came from AiMesh and IFTTT. A few variables that might be new are containing decently sized values, such as those used by ASD, VLAN-based Guest Networks, or conn_diag.

Another change that probably has a major impact for some users is the fact that DHCP reservations now store the hostname within dhcp_staticlist instead since Asus integrated support for that. In my firmware it was a separate variable, I can't remember for sure however if I was storing it in JFFS or in nvram back then.

My RT-AC66U_B1 which serves as my primary test platform (at least it did until the 386/388 split) is using around 2000-3000 bytes more than it did last year.

Removing OpenVPN clients 3, 4 and 5 would recover 2700 bytes of nvram,

I might have to get more radical in 386.11 and reduce the number of allowed OpenVPN clients to 2 for the RT-AC68U.
IMHO, I don't like that.

The high nvram doesn't have any effect on me now, I do a factory reset every major version update, so I don't see a problem with the router due to high nvram.

One thought I had was that maybe it would be possible to integrate such a cleanup script in the boot phase of the firmware, since some nulls don't have to be there.

Removing OpenVPN clients 3, 4 and 5 would recover 2700 bytes of nvram,
I think openvpn is more important than free nvram or you can store variable of nvram on jffs? :(

Read it here:

Yet Google Earth clearly shows you unresponsive.
View attachment 48433
Lol! Those dang Alphabet-ers, now they've found ways of taking pics of inside my house from SPACE...never thought I'd need a force field to obscure what happens under my roof <smh>

Yup, another solid (from what I can see so far in my case) release from the wizard after a dirty flash of AC86

Update went good.
But the Adaptive QoS does not work, it does not show the download and upload status.

1678611946662.png

Check your system log, it will tell you what the problem is.

I cannot troubleshoot anything without that information. Most likely is you have a custom parameter that's no longer valid with OpenVPN 2.6. The system log will tell you what it is.
The system log shows this:
ovpn-client3[4438]: Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in config.ovpn:43: keysize (2.6.0)

I use a preconfigured OVPN file from my VPN provider so i am not sure where the problem lies.

386.10 is now available for WIfi 5 (AC) models.

Code:
- NEW: Added Site Survey page under Network Tools tab.
       (RT-AC86U/GT-AC2900).
- UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.89.
- UPDATED: openvpn to 2.6.0.
- UPDATED: openssl to 1.1.1t.
- UPDATED: miniupnpd to 2.3.3.
- UPDATED: Asus security daemon updated to 2.0 engine (patch
           from Asus)
- CHANGED: Moved WiFi Radar and Site Survey to the
           Network Tools tab
- CHANGED: Disabled auto logout on System Log and
           Wireless Log pages.
- CHANGED: Reduced EDNS packet size from 1280 to 1232
           bytes in dnsmasq, to better work with some
           upstream servers not fully supporting EDNS0.
- FIXED: NTP redirection wouldn`t work properly with
         Guest Network, removed redirection for these.
- FIXED: Added missing Tools icon on ROG UI (icon
         contributed by Cody).
- FIXED: RT-AC68U may crash when using Media Bridge mode
         with a specific SSID length (patch from Asus)

Please keep discussions in this thread on this specific release. This thread will eventually be locked once the release feedback has died down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
Hello
I have to update my asus AC86U router with the 386_10 version without success because it is blocked on download. I can't find the manual update. I am on the 386_9 version. Thanks a lot for the help.

Hello
I have to update my asus AC86U router with the 386_10 version without success because it is blocked on download. I can't find the manual update. I am on the 386_9 version. Thanks a lot for the help.
The Asus-Merlin firmware for supported Asus routers can be downloaded using the following link:
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download

One manually installs the extracted firmware via the upload link: Administration > Firmware Upgrade > Manual firmware update > Upload
Firmware Upgrade.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!