What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
- CHANGED: Added support for BCM50991 used for the 2.5G
interface in newer RT-AX86U revisions.
Any information about this new chipset? I found nothing on Broadcom website, except that is produced on Taiwan.

Last edited:
Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 is now available for all supported model. This release introduces major changes to OpenVPN client handling, and also introduces the ability to generate QR Codes to make it easier to connect your mobile clients to your Wifi network.

NOTE: On first boot with 386.3, you must either force-refresh the browser page (shift-reload), or clear your browser cache. Failure to do so will prevent the new QR codes from being properly displayed, due to an old cached CSS.

The highlights of this release:

• QR Codes can now be generated both on the Network Map (first index page of the webui), and on the Guest Network page. QR Codes are supported by iOS as well as most modern Android mobile devices (see your device's documentation for more information on how to use it) making it easier to connect to a Wifi network.
  • Introducing VPN Director, which replaces the previous per-client Policy routing rules with a centrally managed page. More details in the Wiki: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/VPN-Director.
  • OpenVPN routing handling was rewritten, allowing the implementation of VPN Director, but also bringing additional fixes and improvements. Routes are now created by the firmware itself rather than by the OpenVPN process.
  • OpenVPN DNS handling was revised, resolving various quirks and issues related to it
  • Improved OpenVPN kill switch behavior, it can now be used with clients set to route All traffic through
  • Component updates: nano (5.7), curl (7.76.1), dnsmasq (2.85-openssl), openvpn (2.5.3), getdns (1.7.0), stubby (0.4.0)

Please review the Changelog for more details.

Please keep discussions to this specific release. This thread will be locked after a while once the release feedback has died down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
Hi any idea if the Traditional Qos is working for the AC88U ?

As mine just doesn't want to work.

I don’t know why, but DNS stops working on my Windows 10 machine. The problem seems to be that Windows is using IPV6 for all DNS queries and the router isn’t responding to that for IPV4 sites.

This is breaking my work VPN since when the PC goes to sleep the VPN disconnects and it can‘t find the DNS to reconnect. Windows is also reporting DNS failures.

Edit: Seems to be something weird in Windows where it stops using ipv4. I have no idea why.

Last edited:
Any information about this new chipset? I fount nothing on Broadcom website, except that is produced on Taiwan.
It's just a newer switch revision for the 2.5G port, nothing to be concerned about, just that newer revisions of that router may require 386.3 to work.

hi I updated my Asus rx88u to merlin 386.3 it connects to Nord vpn but my ip address is still the same ?

Edit: Seems to be something weird in Windows where it stops using ipv4. I have no idea why.
I've experienced the same. I have native IPV6 with FiOS yet I've had to disable IPV6 on my Win10 nic because it constantly does this. Every mac, android, misc device in the house work fine.

hi I updated my Asus rx88u to merlin 386.3 it connects to Nord vpn but my ip address is still the same ?
After remove from custom config the up and down scripts events it seems to be fixed.

Did you enable Redirect Internet Traffic?

With the latest update 386.3_0 I have gotten problem with an older network storage (a Zyxel NSA310). I can see it in the Win10 file explorer, though cannot access it anymore. I cannot understand from the changelog what could have caused this. (I had 386.2_6 before.)

Is this a known issue and will it be fixed?

To avoid confusion.
1. Another more modern Zyxel NAS works fine in the LAN.
2. This older NAS works fine with another router, without Merlin.
3. The older NAS is blocked from internet and WAN. Used just for LAN file storage. So please no comments about how insecure it is to connect older unsupported devices to a network :)

Ever since updating to this release, my Pihole is logging attempts by my router to get to google.com every few seconds. I've checked Network Monitoring and both DNS query and ping are unchecked. Is there some other setting somewhere that would cause this? (I did not reboot the router after unchecking those options yesterday, the traffic continues today)

Dirty upgrade on RTAC68U with 386.3 and Download Master stopped working. Tried to reset everything but NO !
Actually it looks as if working but NOT "downloading" although the torrent status shows downloading...
Downgraded back to 386.2.6 & Download Master is working flawlessly !

Ever since updating to this release, my Pihole is logging attempts by my router to get to google.com every few seconds. I've checked Network Monitoring and both DNS query and ping are unchecked. Is there some other setting somewhere that would cause this? (I did not reboot the router after unchecking those options yesterday, the traffic continues today)
Dual-WAN failover mode perhaps?

(I did not reboot the router after unchecking those options yesterday, the traffic continues today)
It would be worth rebooting the router just to eliminate that as an easy fix.

I am using DNSFilter to force my guest wifi to the PiHole though, if that matters. That's where I have a bunch of IOT devices (none are Google though)
Temporarily disable DNSFilter to determine if that is the source of the requests. Some Android devices/apps use hard-coded google DNS servers.

Having a strange issue with VPN Director.

I have setup nVidia shields to look for VPN1 (India) and Transmission to VPN3 (Norway). However, transmission still reporting India IP address:

1627662396357.png

1627662427342.png

Strangely ip rule shows all ok:

0: from all lookup local
9990: from all fwmark 0x8000/0x8000 lookup main
9993: from all fwmark 0x4000/0x4000 lookup ovpnc3
9995: from all fwmark 0x1000/0x1000 lookup ovpnc1
10210: from 192.168.2.180 lookup ovpnc1
10211: from 192.168.2.100 lookup ovpnc1
10212: from 192.168.2.156 lookup ovpnc1
10610: from 192.168.2.15 lookup ovpnc3
32766: from all lookup main
32767: from all lookup default

What is wrong here?

It would be worth rebooting the router just to eliminate that as an easy fix.

Temporarily disable DNSFilter to determine if that is the source of the requests. Some Android devices/apps use hard-coded google DNS servers.
It didn't start until I enabled DNSFilter.

You said "Ever since updating to this release...", implying this is something that used to work in the previous release but doesn't in 386.3.
Apologies. I enabled DNSFilter a couple days after update. The spurious DNS requests showed up at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!