What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, I am about to upgrade my RT-AC68U to 386.3_2. My router is currently running 384.19.
Should it be safe to dirty upgrade directly to 386.3_2, or should I incrementally upgrade for example 384.19 -> 385.x -> 386.3_2?
I also have a USB flash drive plugged in that I use to store the SWAP file. Should I do anything before I unplug this USB before upgrading?

Thanks in advance!
I am pleased to report that my 384.19 to 386.3_2 direct dirty flash was successful! I unmounted my USB, shut down the router, physically removed the USB, powered on, uploaded the firmware (after verifying the checksum of course), let the router reboot itself, immediately shut it down (the web UI worked for an initial moment), reinserted the USB, and started the router again. I did encounter the issue where the web UI hangs after the upgrade, and comes back unexpectedly but is slow, though the router did start up wired internet connection. I tried shift-reloading and clearing my browser cache like the changelog recommended. The web UI did not come back. I had to physically shut down and reboot my router again. At first the web UI was slow again but after about 20 minutes was running normally again. All my settings were preserved. Thank you devs for a nearly seamless upgrade!

Is there any way to update the iptables for better support on ipv6.
If someone were to provide a pull request with a genuine improvement, maybe. I don't devote much time to IPv6 because my ISP doesn't support it.

I did ask NordVPN on support chat and the representative I spoke with said that she did not think any such redirection on 8 8.8.8 was applied by NordVPN. RMerlin uses NordVPN too. Maybe he has some idea.
I don't actively use it, it's just configured on my test RT-AC66U_B1 for OpenVPN-related tests.

Make sure your browser doesn't have DoH or any similar DNS hijacking. I'd be very surprised if OpenVPN did anything like that, they would otherwise simply have pushed it as a DNS server (I vaguely remember another VPN provider that did just that instead of providing their own DNS servers).

I did encounter the issue where the web UI hangs after the upgrade, and comes back unexpectedly but is slow, though the router did start up wired internet connection. I tried shift-reloading and clearing my browser cache like the changelog recommended. The web UI did not come back.
That was documented in the 386.1 changelog. It happened because you upgraded from a 384.xx release.

Where is this setting?
Tools -> Other Settings.

I don't know if Comcast finally fixed their broken network, that workaround was implemented years ago to resolve their network spamming users with neighbour solicitation broadcasts, generating multiple megabytes of daily traffic.

Make sure your browser doesn't have DoH or any similar DNS hijacking. I'd be very surprised if OpenVPN did anything like that, they would otherwise simply have pushed it as a DNS server (I vaguely remember another VPN provider that did just that instead of providing their own DNS servers).
I definitely don't. If I set 1.1.1.1 dnsleaktest correctly reports Cloudflare. If I set 8.8.8.8 dnsleaktest reports VPN DNS.

Colin Taylor any other thoughts since you have also managed to recreate this curiosity?

If someone were to provide a pull request with a genuine improvement, maybe. I don't devote much time to IPv6 because my ISP doesn't support it.

I don't actively use it, it's just configured on my test RT-AC66U_B1 for OpenVPN-related tests.

I'm not sure if the need for and updated IPv6 tables, so that NTP Merlin can intercept IPv6 based NTP request fit that category but that's the first thing that comes to mind in regards improvements.

Just a suggestion.

Dirty update from 386.2_6 to 386.3_2. No problems.

Upgraded RT-AX86U from 386.3.0 to 386.3.2. About an hour later I saw this in the log:

Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: wl0: PSM microcode watchdog fired at 3808 (seconds). Resetting.
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: wl0: reason = psm watchdog at 3808 seconds. corerev 131 ucode revision 1570.159 features 0x3106
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: psmdebug 0x01ff000c phydebug 0x0 macctl 0x84160403 maccmd 0x4
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: psm_brc 0x0080 psm_brc_1 0x0240 M_UCODE_DBGST 0x2
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: brwk_0 0x0589 brwk_1 0x0014 brwk_2 0x20a0 brwk_3 0x0f30 brwk_4 0x0006
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: ifsstat 0xaf ifsstat1 0xff txectl 0x4992 txestat 0x405
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: rxestat1 0x1 rxestat2 0x500 rcv_frmcnt 0x0 rxe_rxcnt 0x0
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: wepctl 0x35
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: aqmf_ready0 0x0 aqmf_ready1 0x0 aqmf_ready2 0x0 aqmf_ready3 0x0
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: aqmf_ready4 0x0 wepstat 0x8000 wep_ivloc 0x1a wep_psdulen 0x0
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: rxe_errval 0x80 rxe_errmask 0x20f rxe_status3 0x20a txe_status2 0x405
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: dbg_bmc_status 0x0 psm_chk0_err 0x0 psm_chk1_err 0x0
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: PC :
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: R0: 0x1860 0x1860 0x1860 0x1860
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: psm stack_status : 0x8000
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: psm stack_entries:
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 0x1860
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 0x1965
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 0x1dff
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 0x1ab1
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 0x21bb
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 0x0c8e
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 0x3eb0
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 0x30ca
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 0) usr_count = 0, schedid = 0
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 1) usr_count = 0, schedid = 0
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 2) usr_count = 0, schedid = 0
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: 3) usr_count = 0, schedid = 0
Aug 8 10:28:43 kernel: wl0: fatal error, reinitializing, total count of reinit's[1]

The CPU Temperature is 79C, which is a bit higher than usual. I turned on the Air Conditioner as the room was getting warm. 79C is within spec yet it's the only thing I see besides the new firmware. Update: With the Air Conditioner on the CPU is 75C as it was in the past. No additional Watchdog events. I'll speak up if they happen again.

Other than that hang, all seems good.

Morris

Last edited:
I went from 386.2_4 to 386.3_2 for both AC86U and AC3100. The openVPN stopped working but worked again after uploading the new config file from my VPN provider. Everything seems great so far. Thank you Merlin!

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.3 is now available for all supported model. This release introduces major changes to OpenVPN client handling, and also introduces the ability to generate QR Codes to make it easier to connect your mobile clients to your Wifi network.

August 6th 386.3_2 is now available.
Code:
  - NOTE: closed down the Issue tracker on Github, as 90%
          of it was people asking for technical support,
          or failing to use the supplied submission form.
  - CHANGED: Re-disabled jitterentropy-rngd on non-HND
             models.  It kept using CPU time every two
             seconds and had a very marginal impact on
             the entropy pool (which it never could push
             above the target threshold of 1024).
  - CHANGED: Moved the "Redirect Internet traffic" setting on
             the OpenVPN Client page to the Network Settings
             section to increase its visibility, as too many
             users are forgetting to configure it.
  - CHANGED: Display "Internet traffic not redirected" instead
             of "Public IP Unknown" on the OpenVPN Client
             status display when Redirect Internet traffic
             is set to "No".
  - FIXED: Only the first OpenVPN client would be used if
           you had multiple clients connected and the first
           one had a Redirect Internet set to "No".  Now,
           setting this to "No" means that client's routing
           table will no longer get a default gateway
           configured, allowing traffic to be processed
           by other RPDB tables if there wasn't a matching
           route within that client's table.
  - FIXED: IPV6-compatible DNSFilter servers weren't
           properly configured in dnsmasq.
  - FIXED: DNSFilter client rules may get corrupted after a
           reboot.

NOTE: On first boot with 386.3, you must either force-refresh the browser page (shift-reload), or clear your browser cache. Failure to do so will prevent the new QR codes from being properly displayed, due to an old cached CSS.

The highlights of this release:

• QR Codes can now be generated both on the Network Map (first index page of the webui), and on the Guest Network page. QR Codes are supported by iOS as well as most modern Android mobile devices (see your device's documentation for more information on how to use it) making it easier to connect to a Wifi network.
  • Introducing VPN Director, which replaces the previous per-client Policy routing rules with a centrally managed page. More details in the Wiki: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/VPN-Director.
  • OpenVPN routing handling was rewritten, allowing the implementation of VPN Director, but also bringing additional fixes and improvements. Routes are now created by the firmware itself rather than by the OpenVPN process.
  • OpenVPN DNS handling was revised, resolving various quirks and issues related to it
  • Improved OpenVPN kill switch behavior, it can now be used with clients set to route All traffic through
  • Component updates: nano (5.7), curl (7.76.1), dnsmasq (2.85-openssl), openvpn (2.5.3), getdns (1.7.0), stubby (0.4.0)

Please review the Changelog for more details.

Please keep discussions to this specific release. This thread will be locked after a while once the release feedback has died down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Hi Everyone,

I upgraded my AX88U to new release 386.3_2 and I'm experiencing some issues regarding the QR Codes for wireless. I see a "Show QR Code" link for 2.4GHZ but it doesn't display anything. The QR Code link doesn't even exist under 5GHZ wireless. However, it does display under "Guest Wireless" without any issue. I've cleared the browser cache, refreshed the page few times, tried a different browser and even rebooted my router but the result is the same.

Please check the attached pic.

Any idea what might be causing it and what else can I do on my end to fix the QR Code issue?

Thanks

Attachments

• wireless.PNG
    wireless.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 75
Did you reboot the client device you're using too?

What browsers did you test with?

Hi L&LD,

I did reboot the client.

I tested with Microsoft Edge and Chrome.
Disable ad blockers, and look at the browser console for any Javascript error.

Dirty update of a RT-AX88U from 386.2_6 to 386.3_2.
Other than a ~9C increase in reported CPU temperature -- from ~56C before the upgrade, to ~65C after the upgrade --, no issues encountered.

Disable ad blockers, and look at the browser console for any Javascript error.
Hir RMerlin,

I disabled ad blockers, clear the cache, refreshed the browser and see a bunch of QR Code related errors in Javascript Console on Edge.

Please take a look at the attached pic and let me know how to fix it.

Attachments

• Javascripterror.PNG
    Javascripterror.PNG
    25 KB · Views: 115
Hir RMerlin,

I disabled ad blockers, clear the cache, refreshed the browser and see a bunch of QR Code related errors in Javascript Console on Edge.

Please take a look at the attached pic and let me know how to fix it.

The length of the code seems be to be out of range for QR CODE to appear.

@Jugnu @RMerlin Hello, same problem here, the boxes are empty and I don't even have a QRCODE.
Thanks for solving the problem and for your help.

(AX88U with 386.3_2 firmware)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!